Sturm: How the stats lie about the Cowboys defense

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Still think Lawrence benefitted from Hardy.

We will see.

That's a legitimate question. It was my main caveat with him last year.

I guess the biggest encouraging sign is that he was pretty good in the 2014 playoffs and he seems to have had a good training camp.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
That's a legitimate question. It was my main caveat with him last year.

I guess the biggest encouraging sign is that he was pretty good in the 2014 playoffs and he seems to have had a good training camp.
Besides his special Leon Lett moment and later retribution in the Detroit game, I do not recall him being a factor versus Green Bay when even half a pass rush would have helped.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Everybody bitches that our pass rush sucks and now we are getting back a legit double digit sack potential guy. Seems like enough reason to be excited to me. I'd love for it to be JJ Watt coming back but for a midseason upgrade this isn't too bad.
Let's not get hasty. Quarter season upgrade.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Besides his special Leon Lett moment and later retribution in the Detroit game, I do not recall him being a factor versus Green Bay when even half a pass rush would have helped.

True I was mostly referring to the Detroit game.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
He had a sack against Green Bay, I remember that much.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
He had a sack against Green Bay, I remember that much.

Must have been a sack like what Mayowa has so far. Got the stat. But insignificant. We had Rodgers dead to rights on one leg

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
He did have a sack against Green Bay.

I seriously doubt Hardy impacted much. He had a strong start but then did nothing.
Reputation does matter in NFL circles. You know that.

Hell, we marched Bryant out with one knee and got the decoy effect, plus a TD bonus.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reputation does matter in NFL circles. You know that.

Hell, we marched Bryant out with one knee and got the decoy effect, plus a TD bonus.
So then Lawrence gets double teamed giving us an even bigger advantage. Or they single block him and he plays like last year.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
So then Lawrence gets double teamed giving us an even bigger advantage. Or they single block him and he plays like last year.
I don't think we have another decent rusher to capitalize on double teaming.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member

:lol

Exactly.

I mean its almost like some people think Lawrence coming back is transforming this team to the 92 Cowboys Defense.

The D line is pretty bad on this team, period. Lawrence isn't going to change that one way or the other.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
No but it takes a TE or RB out of the play.

In all honesty I doubt offensive coordinators will be game planning for Lawrence. At least not at first. Maybe if he dominates a little.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The D line is pretty bad on this team, period. Lawrence isn't going to change that one way or the other.

So adding a good starter to the Dline won't have any impact at all. That's just as retarded as thinking Lawrence will make this defense the 92 Cowboys. Why are people so extreme. There is a whole spectrum where they can be better but aren't the best eva!!!!

townsend

Banned
I think having Tyrone Crawford and Demarcus Lawrence as bookend pass rushers should at least give us something. We're not expecting the 86 Bears here, just some pressure on the passer that wasn't there before.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think having Tyrone Crawford and Demarcus Lawrence as bookend pass rushers should at least give us something. We're not expecting the 86 Bears here, just some pressure on the passer that wasn't there before.
I am curious to see Lawrence at RE. I know he played LE last year and racked up 8 sacks but you have to think they will put him at RE with Crawford at LE. I cant remember where he was playing in the playoffs in 2014 where he made all his plays but I'm curious. I remember Greg Ellis eas very one sided. He kind of sucked at RE but was pretty good at LE. Hopefully Lawrence can take advantage of being on the blind side. Sort of an unknowm to me at this point though.

townsend

Banned
I am curious to see Lawrence at RE. I know he played LE last year and racked up 8 sacks but you have to think they will put him at RE with Crawford at LE. I cant remember where he was playing in the playoffs in 2014 where he made all his plays but I'm curious. I remember Greg Ellis eas very one sided. He kind of sucked at RE but was pretty good at LE. Hopefully Lawrence can take advantage of being on the blind side. Sort of an unknowm to me at this point though.
This is one of those "In Marinelli we trust" moments. He managed to squeeze 11 sacks out of Jason Hatcher, 7 out of Selvie. The 5 sacks Mincey got in 2014 is pretty unbelievable.

I always felt like Ellis was playing in a half assed defense during his prime. I know Zimmer's gotten really good at it now, but he never seemed to generate a pass rush in Dallas, and his defenses were much more talented than this one.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Um what?:unsure

That was my point there were not a lot of great DE's and they moved up to get what seems like one of the best available.
Why compare him to DEs in the first 4 rounds if you acknowledge that it was a weak DE class?

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member

So adding a good starter to the Dline won't have any impact at all. That's just as retarded as thinking Lawrence will make this defense the 92 Cowboys. Why are people so extreme. There is a whole spectrum where they can be better but aren't the best eva!!!!
Right now, theres almost no one getting pressure on the QB. There just aren't any playmakers along the DL, and the drop off in DL play and pressure is extreme when they are on the field for any length of time.

Lawrence probably is going to help a little, but again...he's not going to transform this D into a team that suddenly starts pressuring the QB which IMO is the most glaring hole in the whole team.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Why compare him to DEs in the first 4 rounds if you acknowledge that it was a weak DE class?
Because I was ranking him aginst what else was available in that draft.

I really have no idea what point you are trying to make.:shrug

Top Bottom