DMN: Stephen A. Smith on Dak - 'I understand the brother can play,' but the Cowboys will contaminate him

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Well I have a hard time believing that a rookie QB looks this prepared for the NFL without a little coaching. But I'm assuming he keeps this up and progresses through the season.
Sometimes coaches take the low road and craft an attack around what the player did in college. What he understands.

That can be good coaching too. It doesn't require re-inventing the wheel, deconstructing a player down and rebuilding.

I dislike Wilson as much as anyone, but if Prescott ends up being a keeper, he should get credit.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Well I have a hard time believing that a rookie QB looks this prepared for the NFL without a little coaching. But I'm assuming he keeps this up and progresses through the season.
So do I but this crowd will not give an inch on Wilson.

townsend

Banned
So do I but this crowd will not give an inch on Wilson.
I'll admit to being harsh on Wilson. Dak's clearly the first above average developmental player that Wilson's gotten a chance to work on. Maybe he's had more to do with Romo's success than we've allowed ourselves to believe. But damn, Wilson's time in Chicago and his previous tour in Dallas was very unsuccessful.

At the very least there's no one on the staff who can recognize a worthwhile prospect, since we pretty much lucked into Prescott.

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
Here is a better question, will Wade Wilson get any credit for helping to develop Dak? He took the abuse by everyone because he wasn't able to "develop" any QBs here in Dallas. If Dak becomes a legit QB, does he get credit for that or do we just pretend like he had nothing to do with it?
Wtf for?

It's another Romo scenario where he's succeeded despite a dip shit position coach.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wtf for?

It's another Romo scenario where he's succeeded despite a dip shit position coach.
So when the QBs suck its because the QB coach isn't doing his job well. When he gets a QB who succeeds, the QB coach still must suck and the performance of the QB is no indicator of the job je is doing.

Well someone has done a damn good job of getting Prescott ready for the NFL.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
So when the QBs suck its because the QB coach isn't doing his job well. When he gets a QB who succeeds, the QB coach still must suck and the performance of the QB is no indicator of the job je is doing.

His college coaches.

townsend

Banned

I've been a pretty vocal critic of Wilson, but to me Dak's success changes his legacy. He did help coach up Orton, and was part of a NFC championship for the Bears, with Rex Grossman.

Romo obviously developed quite a bit from 2007 to present. But before now every developmental QB, played like dog shit, so it was easy to assume Wade was part of the problem.

Although we'd have never known about Dak if Kellen Moore hadn't been injured so I still think QB evaluation is really poor on this team, not sure how much Wilson plays in that.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
His college coaches.
So basically no matter what Wade sucks. I get it.

But generally we judge these guys by their ability to get players ready for the NFL from college. Up to this point Wade really had nothing on his resume. Now he does. Someone has Dak reading NFL defenses like a pro.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I've been a pretty vocal critic of Wilson, but to me Dak's success changes his legacy. He did help coach up Orton, and was part of a NFC championship for the Bears, with Rex Grossman.

Romo obviously developed quite a bit from 2007 to present. But before now every developmental QB, played like dog shit, so it was easy to assume Wade was part of the problem.

Although we'd have never known about Dak if Kellen Moore hadn't been injured so I still think QB evaluation is really poor on this team, not sure how much Wilson plays in that.
Well that's the key phrase. " Not sure how much Wilson plays in that". He is evaluated by a lot of folks that are not sure but they have an opinion anyway. I don't know how good or bad he is as a coach but there are some factors to consider. He has had little young prospects to develope with Dallas but of the ones he has had they show positive signs. One young prospect comes to mind that didn't pan out, namely McGee. He just wasn't NFL material.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Here is a better question, will Wade Wilson get any credit for helping to develop Dak? He took the abuse by everyone because he wasn't able to "develop" any QBs here in Dallas. If Dak becomes a legit QB, does he get credit for that or do we just pretend like he had nothing to do with it?
Another good question.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
No, he's just going out of his way to try and defend Garrett.

But yeah, we'd probably be 2-0 with Romo, so his point is moot.
:lol

I think YOU are missing the point if you think being 2-0 versus 1-1 effects my argument.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
So basically no matter what Wade sucks. I get it.

But generally we judge these guys by their ability to get players ready for the NFL from college. Up to this point Wade really had nothing on his resume. Now he does. Someone has Dak reading NFL defenses like a pro.
Some people are too entrenched in their preconceptions to consider that they might be wrong, and the response you got to your question was a classic example of it.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Wasn't Wade gone for a lot of training camp? I'm asking because I didn't pay attention and I generally don't remember how long.

As far as the debate goes 1 qb does not make a career. For every 1 how many has not been developed?

Rev

Staff member
Some people are too entrenched in their preconceptions to consider that they might be wrong, and the response you got to your question was a classic example of it.
Garrett says Hello.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wasn't Wade gone for a lot of training camp? I'm asking because I didn't pay attention and I generally don't remember how long.

As far as the debate goes 1 qb does not make a career. For every 1 how many has not been developed?
Ttue but how many QBs with talent has he had the opportunity to develop? 0? I mean Stephen McGee was the only draft pick we've used on one besides Prescott.

Rev

Staff member
Ttue but how many QBs with talent has he had the opportunity to develop? 0? I mean Stephen McGee was the only draft pick we've used on one besides Prescott.
We have had qbs in camp. Doesn't have to be starters either. No backups. No practice squad. No helping the veterans that we had last year. I think you would have seen some kind of development sometime. He is just part of the inner circle that's always going to have a job regardless.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

Yes, so Linehan worked closely with Dak during that time.

Remember him joking that "the QBs had never looked better" while Wade was out?

Top Bottom