The Colin Kaepernick Thread...

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Roid rage...? :unsure

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Broncos' Brandon Marshall loses another sponsorship after protest

CenturyLink has terminated its sponsorship deal with Denver Broncos linebacker Brandon Marshall after he protested during the national anthem in the team's season opener.

“We completely respect Brandon Marshall's personal decision and right to take an action to support something in which he strongly believes,” the company said in a statement. “America is anchored in the right of individuals to express their beliefs. While we acknowledge Brandon's right, we also believe that whatever issues we face, we also occassionally must stand together to show allegiance to our common bond as a nation. In our view, the national anthem is one of those moments. For this reason, while we wish Brandon the best this season, we are politely terminating our agreement with him.”

CentruryLink is the second company to drop its sponsorship of Marshall. Marshall kneeled as a sign of solidarity with 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick, who chose not to stand for the national anthem before preseason games to protest police violence and what he sees as racial inequality in America.

Marshall and Kaepernick were teammates at the University of Nevada.

On Monday morning, a fan burned a Marshall t-shirt outside of the team's practice facility.

“It's an evil world,” Marshall said. “It's a hateful world. I'm not here to spread hate. I'm not here to respond to the hate. I'm here to spread love and positivity. I'm a likeable guy. I was once a fan favorite for a reason. It's cool, because people can call me the N-word or cuss or at me or say they wish I'd break my neck all they want. There's no backlash from me. Hate can't drive out hate. Only love can drive out hate.”

:towel

Jiggyfly

Banned
The history of the Star Spangled Banner is pretty interesting it seems the writer was particularly racist.

http://www.snopes.com/2016/08/29/star-spangled-banner-and-slavery/

the wealthy American lawyer who wrote "The Star Spangled Banner" in the wake of the Battle of Fort McHenry on 14 September 1814, was a slaveholder who believed blacks to be "a distinct and inferior race of people, which all experience proves to be the greatest evil that afflicts a community." It goes without saying that Key did not have the enslaved black population of America in mind when he penned the words "land of the free." It would be logical to assume, as well, that he might have harbored a special resentment toward African Americans who fought against the United States on behalf of the King.

Cotton

Staff member

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Hay didja no dat gorg warshinton guy owned him some slaves to? Fuck dat guy and dis kuntry amirite?

Kbrown

Not So New Member
The history of the Star Spangled Banner is pretty interesting it seems the writer was particularly racist.

http://www.snopes.com/2016/08/29/star-spangled-banner-and-slavery/
We are at a strange place in history where we are simultaneously holding public figures to a standard of perfection while rooting around for their flaws. It's already kind of leading to a lack of heroes.

Pretty soon, I think we'll have to stop talking about anything in history with reverence and rename our schools "DOE Unit #__" and what have you.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Almost everyone on this continent owned slaves during that time. Terrible, of course, but to try to paint this guy as different... what's the point?

Actually I think the opposite is true. Relatively few people owned slaves.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

Cotton

Staff member
Actually I think the opposite is true. Relatively few people owned slaves.
I should have clarified. Almost everyone that had money had slaves. Trying to out the guy that wrote the anthem as racist is pointless in this discussion.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
If these protests continue and expand watch events simply discontinue playing the anthem to avoid controversy. Once again a small minority of opposition will eliminate a tradition supported by the overwhelming majority of the country.

Cotton

Staff member
If these protests continue and expand watch events simply discontinue playing the anthem to avoid controversy. Once again a small minority of opposition will eliminate a tradition supported by the overwhelming majority of the country.
They better not. That would piss me the hell off. Worst case, just play the anthem before the players come out. But, I'm not even in favor of that.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Agreed.

Everyone's feelings matter too much nowadays.

Jiggyfly

Banned
We are at a strange place in history where we are simultaneously holding public figures to a standard of perfection while rooting around for their flaws. It's already kind of leading to a lack of heroes.

Pretty soon, I think we'll have to stop talking about anything in history with reverence and rename our schools "DOE Unit #__" and what have you.
You are right it is strange.

I never knew this about the composer of the Star Spangled banner and it gives you something else to think about.

This is like most other things in history that take on different meanings when delved deeper into.

Jiggyfly

Banned
A lot of times you have to separate the messenger from the message.

I don't know much about Key but in the context of the early 1800s I don't know why his attitude towards blacks would surprise anyone.
Very true.

But Key was not average in what he thought about slaves and their place in humanity.

And I know learning this has made me look at the Star spangled banner in a new light as the anthem for all Americans.

Not saying I would protest it but it does give me pause.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Why is the anthem even being played at all?

I don't particularly have an issue with it but these events have nothing to do with patriotism.

The "Tradition" is not even that long.

Cotton

Staff member
Why is the anthem even being played at all?

I don't particularly have an issue with it but these events have nothing to do with patriotism.

The "Tradition" is not even that long.
Sports and the camaraderie that comes with it are the epitome of patriotism.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Yeah there is a lot of camaraderie going on during a sporting event.
Just last night one Steeler was asked about the flag stuff a,d he said the whole team is standing in honor of Villenuava (spelling is wrong but he is one of the linemen) and his service to the country.

That's just one example of many that are out there if you want to look.

Top Bottom