Clip and save: Cowboys will miss DeMarco Murray

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Your calculation is based on reduced number of carries and that's a possibility but it doesn't necessarily negate whether he is still capable of carrying more. If his workload reduces obviously his production goes down.
It's also based on a reduced yards per carry.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
It's also based on a reduced yards per carry.
Again maybe so but at this point I see no reason to think he has lost anything about his game. As the season wears on we will all know that answer but I think he can hold a 4.5 average over the course of the season.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Again maybe so but at this point I see no reason to think he has lost anything about his game. As the season wears on we will all know that answer but I think he can hold a 4.5 average over the course of the season.
History says otherwise.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Well that's still the question. Will this be acase of history repeating or not?
It will be the first time in like 8 tries or something like that.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Could be but I am already on record saying I think he will get 1400 yards barring injury. He is a very strong player.
Barring injury is the key. I think it's too much to ask for him to remain healthy two years in a row.

townsend

Banned
Larry Johnson, Jamal Lewis, Jamal Anderson, Eddie George, Ricky Williams, Edgerrin James all saw dramatic shifts in productivity after their near 400 carry seasons. No way Murray, who has worse durability and pedigree than most of them, manages to be anything but a shell of his 2014 self.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Larry Johnson, Jamal Lewis, Jamal Anderson, Eddie George, Ricky Williams, Edgerrin James all saw dramatic shifts in productivity after their near 400 carry seasons. No way Murray, who has worse durability and pedigree than most of them, manages to be anything but a shell of his 2014 self.
I think though that moving to a committee approach with Mathews and Sproles will help him a lot. The Eagles' OL is also solid enough and the offense passes the football quite a bit, unlike the offenses of many of those other backs who flamed out.

Bottom line it's not all on him and he'l see fewer touches.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I think though that moving to a committee approach with Mathews and Sproles will help him a lot. The Eagles' OL is also solid enough and the offense passes the football quite a bit, unlike the offenses of many of those other backs who flamed out.

Bottom line it's not all on him and he'll see fewer touches.
They don't have a Dez Bryant to take pressure off the running game though, so that is huge. They don't have anything close to a Dez.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
They don't have a Dez Bryant to take pressure off the running game though, so that is huge. They don't have anything close to a Dez.
Yep. They are banking everything on Kelly's designs and play calling.

Granted they had Maclin, but they had 621 pass attempts vs 474 rushing attempts last year. That is a very pass-intensive offense.

I could see 250 carries for Murray, 150 for Mathews, and 50 for Sproles. If Murray falters, they can feed Mathews.

In theory. Odds are one of them gets banged up.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
While they don't have a top3 they do have Matthews and just drafted Agholor so it's not like they have scrub wrs

Carp

DCC 4Life
We just have to trust the line and system. The Broncos under Ratface mixed and matched RBs...and NE did this year while winning the SB. I hope that our line and philosophy will do the same.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
While they don't have a top3 they do have Matthews and just drafted Agholor so it's not like they have scrub wrs
Wait, you seriously think those WR'S scare anyone?

By the way I think Murray will play well for the Eagles. They just have a very run friendly offense with all the misdirection and tiring out of the other teams defense. It is funny how everyone bitches about Murray during games last season about all the yards he left on the field. Now that he is gone he is suddenly an irreplaceable god. I think Murray was a really good RB who had some weaknesses too.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Wait, you seriously think those WR'S scare anyone?

By the way I think Murray will play well for the Eagles. They just have a very run friendly offense with all the misdirection and tiring out of the other teams defense. It is funny how everyone bitches about Murray during games last season about all the yards he left on the field. Now that he is gone he is suddenly an irreplaceable god. I think Murray was a really good RB who had some weaknesses too.
They won't scare anybody like Dez does obviously but it's not like they have the Browns receiving core

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
We just have to trust the line and system. The Broncos under Ratface mixed and matched RBs...and NE did this year while winning the SB. I hope that our line and philosophy will do the same.
I'm hoping that despite the obvious drop off in talent at the RB position that we maintain the same offensive philosophy that we had in 2014. I wan them to continue to lean on the running game and try to dominate TOP.

Common sense says this should be a no brainer, especially when you consider that 2014 was probably their most successful season since the 1995. But you never know. We could see another epidemic of Romo changing to pass plays at the line and extreme disproportions in the pass to run ratio.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I'm hoping that despite the obvious drop off in talent at the RB position that we maintain the same offensive philosophy that we had in 2014. I wan them to continue to lean on the running game and try to dominate TOP.

Common sense says this should be a no brainer, especially when you consider that 2014 was probably their most successful season since the 1995. But you never know. We could see another epidemic of Romo changing to pass plays at the line and extreme disproportions in the pass to run ratio.
I have seen nothing to think they are willing to change philosophy and nothing they did this preseason supports the fact that they will turn pass happy.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Losing Murray will hurt in the short term but it was the right long term decision. The only thing that gives me pause is that we are shooting for a Super Bowl and considering Romo's age you could argue that we should've gone for broke with Murray and then deal with him likely falling off a cliff in 2-3 years when the time comes.

As far as an overall philosophy to team building and salary structure there is no way you can say we made a mistake.

dallen

Senior Tech
You can't convince me that we wouldn't have resigned Murray if Dez wasn't tying up all that cap space with his franchise tag.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
You can't convince me that we wouldn't have resigned Murray if Dez wasn't tying up all that cap space with his franchise tag.
I honestly don't think we would have. Tying up that much money in a 27 year old RB who is coming off a ~500 touch season is not how you run a team.

Top Bottom