Cowboys discussed trade with Browns.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I think coaches are putting way too much faith in our OL to create holes for our marginal RBs. The fan base as well. Several people just assume we'll be fine because of the OL talent.

As I've said several times, I think we're going to struggle running the ball in short yardage situations. The run game won't be as consistent as it was last year.

Think about this. The early 90s Cowboys OL is considered one top 2 or 3 OLs of All-Time. Yet when RBs other than Emmitt carried the ball they couldn't even scratch out 4 ypc.

That's because despite what some may think, in order to have a consistent and effective running game you need talent at the RB position; even with a strong OL. This notion that the Cowboys will be fine with a backfield full of bums is silly.
Yeah it is going to be interesting to see we how much impact Callahan had on the OL. I think some folks are going to be surprised that the OL doesn't perform like they did last year.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Fair enough. But that was one year out of our dominant OL era.

1991 - 1994 every back other than Emmitt avg'd less than 4 ypc.

Safe to say 1995 was an anomaly.
But Randle averaged 6.7 last year, so what does that say? I don't know if the sample size is big enough for those RBs for the stat to be any sort of an indicator.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah it is going to be interesting to see we how much impact Callahan had on the OL. I think some folks are going to be surprised that the OL doesn't perform like they did last year.
I worry more about the loss of Callahan then I do Murray. That's just me though.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I worry more about the loss of Callahan then I do Murray. That's just me though.
A little worried there but the loss of quality of RB will be apparent quick, IMO.

Murray fit in well with the chemistry with the line.

That said, I have a little concern with the ability of Pollack to fill Callahan's shoes. We were doing some weird man concepts mixed in with the stretch zone stuff this preseason and it was not working very well. Hopefully it was just some experimentation.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
That said, I have a little concern with the ability of Pollack to fill Callahan's shoes. We were doing some weird man concepts mixed in with the stretch zone stuff this preseason and it was not working very well. Hopefully it was just some experimentation.
Yeah and the double-whammy is that he's coaching in Washington who just drafted an elite OL and another solid RB. Washington is going to be a better team without question.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Yeah and the double-whammy is that he's coaching in Washington who just drafted an elite OL and another solid RB. Washington is going to be a better team without question.
Who was the elite OL they drafted?

Scherf?:lol

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Who was the elite OL they drafted?

Scherf?:lol
Are you saying he isn't elite just because Washington drafted him? I'm as ecstatic as the next Dallas fan that they passed on Leonard Williams, but Scherff is going to be a fine lineman.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Are you saying he isn't elite just because Washington drafted him? I'm as ecstatic as the next Dallas fan that they passed on Leonard Williams, but Scherff is going to be a fine lineman.
Maybe, but they drafted him way early.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Maybe, but they drafted him way early.
I agree, but in the end what does it really matter? Fans of other teams say that about Frederick all the time, and now they all look really, really, really stupid.

Cotton

Staff member
I agree, but in the end what does it really matter? Fans of other teams say that about Frederick all the time, and now they all look really, really, really stupid.
I would be shocked if Scherff becomes half the lineman Frederick is.

Jiggyfly

Banned
They have already had to move him to guard and he has been struggling at that spot as well.

Nothing about his play has been elite.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/175799/redskins-ol-brandon-scherff-a-first-round-thumbs-down-so-far

The problem is he’s not there yet, and the growing pains will linger. Scherff already was moved from tackle to guard, though that’s not all on him. Part of the reason Washington did this stemmed from the improvement by second-year tackle Morgan Moses. He looked better in camp, providing another option at right tackle.

The Redskins liked that combination better than having Spencer Long at guard and Scherff at tackle. It didn’t help, either, that Scherff struggled in one-on-one drills vs. better pass-rushers (such as Ryan Kerrigan). But even before the draft, many around the NFL suggested guard was a much better fit for Scherff.

Scherff offers power as a run-blocker, which the Redskins need. There are times he does that very well. But what they also need is a good pass-protector and that’s another part of the learning curve for Scherff. Last week, he was driven back by Detroit’s Tyrunn Walker, who has 3.5 career sacks in three seasons, for what eventually was a sack.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I'm not saying anything about him right now except he was the consensus best OL in the draft, and it's unrealistic to expect him to be a bust.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I'm not saying anything about him right now except he was the consensus best OL in the draft, and it's unrealistic to expect him to be a bust.
There's a long list of highly drafted OL bust.

Not saying he will be but it's far from unheard of signed Jason Smith, Jake Long etc.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I could be wrong but I don't think it was a consensus.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I thought he had the looks of a Reilly Reiff type right tackle but I am reading that they are moving him inside to guard and perhaps even center. Not a good look this soon.

Cotton

Staff member
I thought he had the looks of a Reilly Reiff type right tackle but I am reading that they are moving him inside to guard and perhaps even center. Not a good look this soon.
Correct. It looks like they are just trying him at all positions hoping one of them sticks.

22cowboysfan22

Brand New Member
Scherff will wind up being a bust. He can't play tackle in the NFL and is no Zach Martin either. The Skins basically spent the #5 overall pick on a mediocre starting guard. Collins is a much better prospect.

Last edited:

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Same thing happening with Collins. A move to guard by itself doesn't necessarily mean a player sucks.

I could be wrong but I don't think it was a consensus.
Even if he was the 3rd best guy, my point is Washington got better with 1st round talent added to the position group. When you also add Callahan and Matt Jones and the fact that RG3 is permanently benched, that team improved.

Last edited:

Cotton

Staff member
Same thing happening with Collins. A move to guard by itself doesn't necessarily mean a player sucks.
Two different circumstances. The Redskins really needed tackle help and hoped he would be it. He showed he couldn't even beat out scrubs at the position so they moved him to guard to try and get something from such a high pick, and from what I have read he has only been mediocre at guard. Had we been as thin at tackle as the Redskins, Collins would have been an instant starter.

Jiggyfly

Banned

Even if he was the 3rd best guy, my point is Washington got better with 1st round talent added to the position group. When you also add Callahan and Matt Jones and the fact that RG3 is permanently benched, that team improved.
Nope, Collins is battling a above average starter Scherff was handed a job and could not keep it.

And it's a far cry from not sucking and Elite.

Top Bottom