George: Will Lawrence's switch to other side of line unlock production Cowboys expect

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
George: Will DeMarcus Lawrence's switch to other side of line unlock production Cowboys expect of him?

By Brandon George

IRVING — DeMarcus Lawrence kept his answer vague, but his smile gave him away.

The Cowboys’ second-year defensive end was asked if he has a lot to prove this year after missing the first half of his rookie season while battling back from a broken right foot.

“I always have a lot to prove,” Lawrence said after a long pause. “Just carrying my family name is something to prove every day.”

The Cowboys traded up in the 2014 draft to select Lawrence in the second round (34th overall) because they believed he was the last elite pass-rusher available and didn’t want to miss the opportunity to add a difference-maker.

But Lawrence wasn’t the player the Cowboys envisioned because of the injury he suffered in one of the first training camp practices while working one-on-one against left tackle Tyron Smith.

By all accounts, Lawrence has been dominant this offseason. Even Cowboys Hall of Famer Randy White liked what he saw of Lawrence at a recent practice.

“I tell you what, the guy can move like a cat,” White said. “He’s pretty impressive out there. He can be a game-changer out there if he can continue to improve and play the way he did at the end of last year. I think he’s going to be a great player for them.”

Added Cowboys veteran defensive end Jeremy Mincey: “He’s looking spectacular right now.”

The Cowboys added more pass-rushing depth this offseason with the free-agent addition of Pro Bowler Greg Hardy and by drafting Randy Gregory in the second round. With more depth on the right side, the Cowboys are moving Lawrence to left end.

The Cowboys put their elite pass-rushers on the right in their scheme, but moving Lawrence to the opposite side doesn’t mean they’re down on him. Cowboys coaches simply believe Lawrence has a better chance to develop into a special player because the left side is a better fit for him.

“He goes either way, but I really like him on the left because he’s so explosive out of his stance, so fast,” Cowboys defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli said. “You know, sometimes that’s a bigger, thicker offensive tackle over there. You might be able to take advantage of him with your speed and quickness.”

Lawrence will be asked to defend the run more on the left side. And he should be ready. Lawrence said he’s bulked up this offseason, adding 10 pounds, and will play at 260.

“I feel like I can hold my own,” Lawrence said. “I’m way more comfortable on the left. I’m right-handed and it’s just more natural to put my right hand into the ground and get off.”

Lawrence missed some practice time late in the offseason with an eye problem. He returned to finish strong, wearing a shield as part of his helmet to protect his eye.

“I had to get it dilated, so when I went out into the sun it was hard for me to see. It had me dizzy,” Lawrence said. “So I just took those days off to get back healthy. I’m perfectly fine now.”

Lawrence played in seven regular-season games last year without a sack. But he had a sack in each of the Cowboys’ two playoff games.

Lawrence has built on that momentum.

“He has really developed a lot since he has a gotten here,” Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said. “It was unfortunate for him to get hurt last year and miss the early part of the season. But there were positive results of that. He developed physically and was more able to play by the time he was playing toward the end of the year. And that growth and development has continued. He has really embraced our offseason program, working as hard as anybody. He is physically stronger. He is quicker. He is more explosive.”

Lawrence seems poised for a breakout second season.

“It’s always about taking the next step. Everybody on this team wants to be great,” Lawrence said. “We ain’t settling for mediocre this year.”

The long offseason is coming to an end. The draft (and draft aftermath) netted them three first-round picks. DeMarco Murray is in Philadelphia. Greg Hardy is in Dallas (although he's suspended for the first four games of the season.) Dez Bryant is signed for the long term.

Now, it's finally time to see how all the changes have come together. The Cowboys are headed to training camp in Oxnard, California soon. There, the 2015 version of the team will be all together for the first time. Here's what you need to know about the most recent iteration of the Cowboys.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't know that it matters so much what side he plays on. At the end of last year in the playoffs he looked really good. If he supposedly looks better at LE, then great put him at LE. If not I think he would be productive at RE. If he needs to be moved to 3 technique in certain situations then move him there.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Lawrence will be asked to defend the run more on the left side. And he should be ready. Lawrence said he’s bulked up this offseason, adding 10 pounds, and will play at 260.
Nice.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I'll always remember Lawrence's great play vs. Detroit, and in particular how he overcame a major screw-up.

If he can build on that moment, he can help this defense become special.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I'll always remember Lawrence's great play vs. Detroit, and in particular how he overcame a major screw-up.

I was also impressed that he followed it up with a good game against GB.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thank god for Lawrence on that play. The rest of the D-line isn't doing shit. Spencer dropped off to cover the RB, looks like he is guessing on a screen which it wasn't, terrible read on his part. Golden Cock is giving just a pathetic effort while being singled blocked. McClain is admirably fighting through the double team but it's a double team. The play gives me hope at least for McClain, makes me glad Spencer is gone and gives me serious concerns about Hayden still being on the roster.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Thank god for Lawrence on that play. The rest of the D-line isn't doing shit. Spencer dropped off to cover the RB, looks like he is guessing on a screen which it wasn't, terrible read on his part. Golden Cock is giving just a pathetic effort while being singled blocked. McClain is admirably fighting through the double team but it's a double team. The play gives me hope at least for McClain, makes me glad Spencer is gone and gives me serious concerns about Hayden still being on the roster.
I don't know what your problem with Spencer here is.

He was supposed to jam the TE and then it looked like he was playing the back underneath and he cut off that passing lane, once he saw the QB looking away then he rushed.

But I am glad he is gone and we are forced to play the younger guys, he would have been a progress stopper.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Hayden is terrible. Not his fault the Cowboys don't "value" his position, but I just don't get it. It's critical to not be weak there, but it's almost as if the Cowboys play with three down linemen, not four.

Talk about playing with one hand tied behind your back.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

He was supposed to jam the TE and then it looked like he was playing the back underneath and he cut off that passing lane, once he saw the QB looking away then he rushed.

But I am glad he is gone and we are forced to play the younger guys, he would have been a progress stopper.
I hate what Spencer did because it left a massive running lane for the QB if he would have ever seen Lawrence coming. Thankfully he didn't. It could have been a designed 3 man rush but I seriously doubt it.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner

Exactly.

And when you look at the end of the gif from the endzone view, if he hadn't been in the passing lane, Stafford probably dumps it off to 25 for a first down.

Anyway, back to the article, how often is an end's potential "unlocked" by moving from the weakside to the strongside? Hardly ever, because it's a harder position. If anything he probably won't put up the numbers he would without the move even if he plays very well.

Last edited:

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Supposedly Lawrence is more comfortable rushing from the left side.
He's got to put the best face on it.

I think it makes little sense to have Lawrence on the strong side and Hardy on the weak side.

I know Lawrence plays the run well, but that extra size makes a difference over preseason, 16 games, and playoffs.

Top Bottom