Diet/Fitness Thread

Newt

DCC 4Life
I'm glad to have a place where I can talk about it. Glad you guys have my back, seriously.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Okay, it's getting gay in here. And fat.

:tippytoe

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Well, a month ago I was 350, I was 343 Friday (day of surgery). I'm 336 today. I haven't had much to eat. Some broth, chicken and beef, and maybe one package of oatmeal. Supposed to start back on protien shakes in the morning, not supposed to have solid foods for the first two weeks but that'd gonna be hard.
Stick to it, man.

No matter what type of diet or significant change in eating habits you go through, the first few weeks are always the worst.

In your case, you'd be at risk if you ate solid foods right now so you gotta find a way to follow orders and stay off.

You can do it man. Just gotta get through that rough first few weeks.

:buddy

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Well, it's done. I got the lapband yesterday, it's real now. I don't feel bad, just a little sore. A lot of gas, not farts, but air pockets in my body, my shoulders hurt a good bit. But other than that I'm good, living on chicken broth and sugar free Popsicles. It's the good life.
Nice! Good to hear that you are on the way to a healthier life. One of my best friends went in for a consult today. He ate a meal after and had started trying to change his habits right off. He said it's gonna be a tough change for him. He said that he is learning how to chew a minimum of 1 minute per bite and had no idea how hard that would be for him.

Newt

DCC 4Life
Nice! Good to hear that you are on the way to a healthier life. One of my best friends went in for a consult today. He ate a meal after and had started trying to change his habits right off. He said it's gonna be a tough change for him. He said that he is learning how to chew a minimum of 1 minute per bite and had no idea how hard that would be for him.
Yeah, that's gonna be one of the things I struggle with the most. I eat too fast, always have. I'll get there though.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
What does chewing your food slower do for you?

D

Deuce

What does chewing your food slower do for you?
Gives your body a chance to comprehend what's happening and realize when you're actually full. When you eat fast, you're so busy shoving food in your mouth that when you're done you feel overfull and bloated lots of times.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Not just that but for digestion. Also, when you have a lap band you have a smaller hole for the food to travel and need to broken down better.

Newt

DCC 4Life
So today is a week since the actual surgery and I decided to weigh myself this morning, decided that maybe once a week would be a good idea, I'm at 329. In the one week since the surgery I've lost 14 pounds and I'm down 21 overall. Starting to want to eat again, not much, but I'm missing the solid foods more and more each day. Creamy soups are getting old. Its funny though, I haven't wanted a Dr. Pepper at all, I really haven't wanted to drink anything but I really thought I would crave Dr. Peppers and its just not there. I am enjoying the orange juice every morning though.

Overall I still feel good, not sluggish for the most part. Still having some of the pains from the gas but it wasn't as bad last night so I think it is almost all worked out. I did get one of those fitbit activity trackers, got it set up and linked to my phone. I logged just over 5 miles on Tuesday, and 3 and a half on Wednesday. Not so much yesterday because it started raining again so all I had was what I got at work. Its good to see those things though, feels encouraging anyways.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Sounds like you are progessing at a nice pace and being patient. Remain patient because so many people give up when they don't see immediate results.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Keep it up, Newt.

And getting off sodas is one of the best things you can do. I like soda, but I rarely drink it these days and made the effort to stop drinking them about 2 years ago.

I love a cold Dr. Pepper with some Texas BBQ, so I might have one every 5 or 6 months. They are just so bad for your body, so it's good that you're both staying off of them and not craving them.

The immediate withdrawal from them really sucks, so consider yourself lucky that you're not having symptoms.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Newt Rishun, I hope you continue down this road with aggression.

Mad props, yo

Newt

DCC 4Life
Keep it up, Newt.

And getting off sodas is one of the best things you can do. I like soda, but I rarely drink it these days and made the effort to stop drinking them about 2 years ago.

I love a cold Dr. Pepper with some Texas BBQ, so I might have one every 5 or 6 months. They are just so bad for your body, so it's good that you're both staying off of them and not craving them.

The immediate withdrawal from them really sucks, so consider yourself lucky that you're not having symptoms.
Yeah the headaches is what I was worried about, I've had none of that so I do feel pretty lucky. I can only remember one time so far where I felt a little weak or shakey and that was Tuesday. My first day back to work and it was a long day with not much going in. Since then its been pretty normal besides not having a big Whataburger cup on my desk all day.

Newt

DCC 4Life
So I decided that I would only weigh myself on Fridays. I'm 321 this morning, down another 8 pounds. I've been able to eat some real food too. Just very little. This is very exciting to me, we are taking a vacation to Myrtle beach in may and it will be awesome to be under 300 pounds. I can't remember what that feels like. But even if I still look fat I'm going to be shirtless the majority of the time.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
So I decided that I would only weigh myself on Fridays. I'm 321 this morning, down another 8 pounds. I've been able to eat some real food too. Just very little. This is very exciting to me, we are taking a vacation to Myrtle beach in may and it will be awesome to be under 300 pounds. I can't remember what that feels like. But even if I still look fat I'm going to be shirtless the majority of the time.
Pics or GT..F.... Wait. Forget I said that.

Nah, just kidding man. I'm happy this is working our for you. Keep it up.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I've been running a mile every morning and alternating exercises in a 3 day rotation.

Day 1. 100 pushups(5 sets of 20) in the a.m. 100 in the p.m.
Day 2. 100 squats(5 sets of 20) in the a.m. 100 in the p.m.
Day 3. 100 standing knee raises(5 sets of 20) in the a.m. 100 in the p.m.

Takes very little time and is not strenuous at all. I've lifted weights in the past, flirted with p90x, ran like a beast, etc...found that it took too long, wore me down and I really just got to a point where I dreaded it, wasn't enjoying it at all and honestly wasn't getting the results I expected from all the work put in.

With this routine I'm actually looking forward to knocking them out. It's just enough that it keeps my hunger in check and gives me energy throughout the day.

There's surely all kinds of other exercises I should be doing and probably will at some point but this is a good jumping off point for someone looking to get back into it.

Newt

DCC 4Life
That's awesome, I can't wait until I can get out and run comfortably. Hopefully losing this weight will prolong the life of my knees.

Can't tell you the last time I did a hundred push ups. Props.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
You'll get it, Newt. It's a long term goal, and that's why I don't think you should go balls to the wall work in g out. Make it a small part of your daily routine.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
[MENTION=78]Newt[/MENTION] - how are you doing, my good man?

Steadily making progress I assume?

Top Bottom