JJT: Jason Garrett likes the job Cowboys scouting director Will McClay is doing

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jason Garrett likes the job Cowboys scouting director Will McClay is doing

2:33 PM ET
Jean-Jacques Taylor
ESPN Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas -- Will McClay turned down an opportunity to meet with the Detroit Lions this week and discuss their general manager's job.

McClay indicated he’s happy in Dallas and determined to get the Dallas Cowboys headed back in the right direction after a 4-12 season.

McClay, the Cowboys' senior director of college and pro personnel, is one of the NFL's young front-office executives on the rise.

One of his best assets is keeping the lines of communication between the scouting department and coaching staff wide open.

That's easier said than done, whether the topic is a draft prospect or practice squads.

“Personnel is a very collaborative effort -- ownership, coaches, personnel guys -- and you have a lot of conversations about every guy you’re thinking about bringing in here,” Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett said. “Whether it’s a guy we’re drafting, trading for or signing off the street. And Will does a really good job facilitating all of that communication and making sure we’re all on the same page as far as how we see the player and what his role will be, and that’s invaluable.”

The 2013 draft was an example of what happens when that type of communication doesn’t occur. The Cowboys had Florida defensive tackle Sharrif Floyd high on their draft board and needed a defensive tackle, but the Cowboys passed on Floyd because then-defensive line coach Rod Marinelli viewed him more as a nose tackle than a disruptive defensive tackle in the Cowboys’ scheme.

That draft turned out just fine for the Cowboys because they wound up with center Travis Frederick in the first round, but those types of miscommunications can hurt a franchise over time.

“Making sure that everybody is aligned is critical,” Garrett said of McClay. “Making sure that everybody is communicating and challenging each other is all part of the communication process, and he does a really good job in his role.”
-----------

So, per Garrett coaching is fine. No changes.

McClay is doing a smash up job.

I guess this year was just one of those gosh darn unlucky years.

Lookit, I get part of his job is to be a politician, but seriously.

GTFO.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Good think Marinelli was right about Floyd. Looks like a 3 sack a year guy for the Vikings. Don't know if he's kick ass in run stopping or not.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner

GTFO.
Sounds like his PC after the Buffalo game: Hey, every year every team wants to make the playoffs, but only a few do. This year was one of those years we didn't make it. We're still going about everything the right way, though.

Ho hum. Get 'em next year. F/S/C

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member

GTFO.
:roboclap

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
According to Jerry and Garrett, everyone did a fantastic job.

It's amazing how we only won 4 games with everyone in the organization doing their job so well.

:jerk

dallen

Senior Tech
According to Jerry and Garrett, everyone did a fantastic job.

It's amazing how we only won 4 games with everyone in the organization doing their job so well.

:jerk

Top Bottom