Stephen Jones: Expect Three Or Four Roster Moves This Week

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Stephen Jones: Look for several roster moves this week from the Dallas Cowboys

Stephen Jones, the Dallas Cowboys' chief operating officer and executive vice president, recently appeared on KRLD-FM to discuss the state of the team. Here are some highlights:

On if the Dallas Cowboys will make any roster moves this week, especially with the loss of running back Lance Dunbar:

Jones: “Yes I see us making several moves. We obviously lost (quarterback Alex) Tanney and we may choose to go with some help — getting healthy in the linebacking corps. We may make a change on that practice-squad spot, but I could see us making three or four moves this week… I could certainly see a situation where we might replace Dunbar or a different type of player. But we’ll see how it goes. We’re going to have some guys in here working out (Tuesday). (We’re) getting a good chance to rest our players after a really crazy five days. We really don’t have our first real practice until Thursday and so they’ll be doing some lifting and some things around here, but playing a Monday game, we won’t get into our normal workweek until Thursday.”

On loss of Dunbar and how it affects the plans:

Jones: “He really hasn’t done a lot up to this point, but I think we were headed into a direction of using him quite a bit more in terms of how he complemented Demarco Murray. We are obviously disappointed that he’s not going to be here for that. I think it really was a breakout game for him, but the good news is the surgery we can — our trainers really believe we’ll have the same player back when he gets over this surgery. So we’ve got a lot to look forward to in the future, but it’s disappointing that we don’t have him as another one of those guys, weapons on offense that can help us move the football.”

On the status of injured Cowboys players Dwayne Harris, Morris Claiborne and Sean Lee:

Jones: “Harris and Lee look pretty positive right about now — It’s certainly not a given. We’ll have to see how they respond in practice. Claiborne’s probably a little bit behind them with probably a bigger question mark as to whether he’ll be ready to play, but we certainly haven’t ruled him out. We’ll be working with all those guys here over the next two or three days and see how they respond in practice. Obviously (DeVonte) Holloman falls in that same category.”

------------------------
Look at DL? How many more schlubs can we bring in?

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
hahahahahhahah~wipes eyes~ohmygodthatwasagoodonehahaha

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

The only guy that remotely interests me is Carter. Clutts is a FB, which is a bit odd.

Draughn is a ST guy...the one who blocked Edgar Jones' TD in the lone highlight of his career when both were Chiefs.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Shaun Draugn is interesting, he was decent at UNC.

Armando Allen was good at ND too.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Spags rule invoked.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It does seem odd we are adding new guys like this at this stage.

I assume Edgar Jones returns and we cut a DL schlub.

Add another back with some shiftiness and a FB.

I just wonder if we get all and we know Dunbar will go to IR.

Rev

Staff member
My wife absolutely loathes the phrase "at the end of the day" and all athletes are starting to use that more frequently. I guess that makes them smart or something.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
My wife absolutely loathes the phrase "at the end of the day" and all athletes are starting to use that more frequently. I guess that makes them smart or something.
But at the end of the day it doesn't make the seem any smarter, just lazy.

:tippytoe

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I'm not trying to denigrate guys who use that phrase, but at the end of the day it's just the way I was raised.

If we had more players on the team that were raised right? Championship.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Good to know.

Cotton

Staff member
I'm not trying to denigrate guys who use that phrase, but at the end of the day it's just the way I was raised.

If we had more players on the team that were raised right? Championship.
:towel

Cotton

Staff member

Rev

Staff member
But at the end of the day it doesn't make the seem any smarter, just lazy.

:tippytoe
Lol. She absolutely hates the fact that I can replay the segment over and over and over......

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Scouting Report: Evaluating New Fullback Signee Tyler Clutts

Posted 6 hours ago

Bryan Broaddus Football Analyst/Scout

Tyler Clutts:
6-2, 244 4.94 40-Yard Dash Fresno State

Games Viewed: Miami Regular Season 2013: Cleveland, Indianapolis, Atlanta, New Orleans

Clutts was a defensive end at Fresno State before being converted to fullback when he made the transition to the professional game. He got his start in the Canadian Football League with Edmonton.

He then made stops in the NFL with Cleveland, where he played with current Cowboys running backs coach Gary Brown. Clutts was with the Browns in 2011, then Chicago 2011-2012. He played for Houston in 2012, where he worked in a zone running scheme, before finally heading to Miami for the first four games of the 2013 season.
•Plays as a true fullback in “I” formation; will also line up off set and on the line as a tight end or wing.
•Good path to search out defender. Can locate the correct man on the move.
•Shows a good initial pop and strike, but I thought he needed to do a better job with overall sustain. Likes to grab and hold for control.
•Needs to be careful in the way he uses his hands. Didn’t see any holding calls, but they were always on the outside of the frame work of the body.
•Will try and dig linebacker out of the hole. He had times where he was square to strike at the point, then others where he was on the edge and got him knocked off.
•Thought he needed to do better job of running through his man when inside at the point of attack. Needs to keep his feet working once he is engaged.
•Thought he was a much better blocker when he was leading the play on the outside or to the edge. Just played more comfortably when he could work to the outside, find his man, then try to secure his block. Did a better job of staying with his man this way.
•Will strike his man, then work up the field or into the flat. I did not have the opportunity to see him use his hands catching the ball for the Dolphins. Appeared to be good in getting into his route, really saw no issues here.

•Played on special teams for the Dolphins as the right back in the second line working on the two-man wedge. Was able to work to his spot to execute his assignment. Would like to have seen him do a better job of attacking his man, then catch the block to control. Was told that in the workout on Tuesday for coaches, he worked as a deep snapper but really just an emergency option at best.
•Has the bulk and square build to be a dependable blocking full back, but I would have liked to see more nasty play when he got the opportunity. Didn’t see a guy that just hammered defenders with his play. Will be interested if we see that from his play now that he is on this roster.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Dallas signed ex-Cincinnati Bearcat RB George Winn to the practice squad.

Top Bottom