Will Tony Romo even be active Sunday?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It appears some fans are just as Romo reliant as the team has been for the last decade. Now someone else comes along and there is a good bit of revisionist history going on. Not trying to fan the flames more, but that is how I see it.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Winning the Superbowl is what this is all about.

We won't win it with the same conservative approach that beat 80% of the league because now we're playing the top teams who are playing at their best.

We need to aim more downfield, or we'll lose. Period.

I don't care if that comes from Dak or Romo. I really don't, as long as it gets done. A gameplan of safe passes has gotten us this far, but playoff defenses are going to clamp that shit down.

Until Detroit (finally!), I didn't see more come from Dak on a consistent basis. He had one shot in Pittsburgh, another in GB to Butler when the DB fell down, and another in Minny when Dez double-moved the DB out of his cleats. But he never consistently tried downfield shots. I'm talking at least one a quarter.

He has to bring that 25+ mojo on multiple drives by design or we'll be lucky to make let alone win the Superbowl.

I don't want Ben Roethlisberger's rookie year. I want a championship. It's not fair to ask that of Dak, but it is what it is. We might not have this same caliber team next year.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
It appears some fans are just as Romo reliant as the team has been for the last decade. Now someone else comes along and there is a good bit of revisionist history going on. Not trying to fan the flames more, but that is how I see it.
There definitely is some revisionist history going on.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
My position isn't who should be the starter obviously Dak is the future. He just isn't as rounded yet as Romo. That shouldn't be difficult to grasp. If anyone thinks that Romo is washed up so be it but there is absolutely nothing to indicate that. He had a rash of injuries but seems to have that behind him now. His short appearence in the Philly game clearly shows he is still a savvy and experienced pro.
QB A has a career QB rating of 97.1, completed 65.3 percent of his passes and averaged 7.89 yards per attempt.

QB B has a career QB rating of 104.9, completed 67.8 percent of his passes and averaged 7.99 yards per attempt.

Which QB is the more well rounded QB? For those concerned about "cherry picking" games, this takes all of that out of it. These are both guys pure career numbers.

Genghis Khan

This brings up an interesting question. If we win the SB this year, does this debate stop, or could Tony have still done it better?
That's a pretty dumb question. This has always been about the who gives us the best chance to win the super bowl. The best case scenario is that dak is our QB and wins the super bowl because he's 23.

Genghis Khan

QB A has a career QB rating of 97.1, completed 65.3 percent of his passes and averaged 7.89 yards per attempt.

QB B has a career QB rating of 104.9, completed 67.8 percent of his passes and averaged 7.99 yards per attempt.

Which QB is the more well rounded QB? For those concerned about "cherry picking" games, this takes all of that out of it. These are both guys pure career numbers.
Small sample size.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

Get real. Do you think Dak will maintain those numbers over a 10 year span. Check back then. :art

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Winning the Superbowl is what this is all about.

We won't win it with the same conservative approach that beat 80% of the league because now we're playing the top teams who are playing at their best.
So we are going to win it like we did in 2014 with Romo? Well, guess what, we didn't then either.

The coaches are going to go with what gives them the best chance to win, right now.

Still struggling to see how people extrapolate what Romo did in previous years when healthy, to this team, right now.

Right now, this is not a Romo offense. And it has not been all season long.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
There definitely is some revisionist history going on.
Yep and a lot of comes from people who think Romo "carried" every team he was ever on.

It is not a coincidence that most of the accolades he got were in years without a great rusher like Murray was 2014.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Get real. Do you think Dak will maintain those numbers over a 10 year span. Check back then. :art
I don't need a 10 year career. I'm talking about this season. And truthfully most QBs get better over their career. It just happens to be that Dak is playing near perfect already.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
There are times I wish we hadn't found our potential future starting QB. It seems to create a lot of angst and some really really dumb thought processes which I can only compare to withdrawls.

data

Forbes #1
It is the full-season throw chart for Dak Prescott. Every last throw is here. It is clear that his best attribute is knowing where to throw the ball to increase your chances at good and decrease your chances at bad things. This is a positive for sure. Look how seldom he messed with deep safeties. I would love to run a similar chart for the NFL's interceptions and I bet you would see one big yellow circle in the middle of the field between 15-25 yards.

Pretty even distribution from left to right and his depth of throw ranks right there with the best QBs in the league (and more importantly to many, it seems, Tony Romo's 2014 masterpiece) - despite the silly narratives that try to say otherwise.
I'm surprised this Sturm quote didn't get any discussion from you guys.

http://www.dallascowboyscentral.com/showthread.php?6404-Sturm-s-Decoding-Linehan-2016-Wrap-up-And-Looking-At-Romo-Tape!&p=328322&viewfull=1#post328322

Last edited:

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I don't need a 10 year career. I'm talking about this season. And truthfully most QBs get better over their career. It just happens to be that Dak is playing near perfect already.

For actual parity pull out Romo's best year and compare. Who knows what the future holds for Prescott.

There are few occasions where a rookie can be as rounded as a 10 year pro but Que Sara.

data

Forbes #1

...and I recall a bunch of people bitching about why Romo didn't take Beasley for the easy 1st.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
For actual parity pull out Romo's best year and compare. Who knows what the future holds for Prescott.

There are few occasions where a rookie can be as rounded as a 10 year pro but Que Sara.
Romo's best year was well, 2014 as far as I am concerned in terms of playing smart football.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
That's a pretty dumb question. This has always been about the who gives us the best chance to win the super bowl. The best case scenario is that dak is our QB and wins the super bowl because he's 23.
Good, then I will take great joy in shutting this stupid ass thread down when we win the Lombardi. :towel

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
...and I recall a bunch of people bitching about why Romo didn't take Beasley for the easy 1st.
I was one of them.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

That's cherry picking which I've been told by the Romo crowd is wrong.

And to be fair we have never seen a rookie QB play as well as Dak. So we are already in a rare situation.

Top Bottom