Week 8 Gameday Chatter Thread | Cowboys vs Seahawks| 11/1/2015

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Yeah, Free was terrible. Why does one weak link sink our line? It's like he can't just be average, he has to be terrible.

dallen

Senior Tech
3 to be within striking distance?

We would win the division with ease if we were 5-4 when Romo came back, hell, I think we win it if we are just 4-5.
Well since we can't even seem to win 1 it is kind of a moot point

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I also cannot believe the cold streak our defense is on regarding sacks and turnovers. We aren't allowing a ton of points but we just can't impose anything on the offenses we are facing. I think teams are adjusting and calling very quick plays to counteract potential pass rush, which is showing up by keeping scoring down but it's preventing us from getting many big plays on D.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I also cannot believe the cold streak our defense is on regarding sacks and turnovers. We aren't allowing a ton of points but we just can't impose anything on the offenses we are facing. I think teams are adjusting and calling very quick plays to counteract potential pass rush, which is showing up by keeping scoring down but it's preventing us from getting many big plays on D.
A big part of it is because offenses know they don't have to be aggressive or take chances in order to win the game, they know that 17, maybe 20 points will win it. The defense was playing from ahead much of last year and teams were forced to be aggressive to get back into the game, that gives the defense opportunities to make plays.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Very good. Blame the defense.

What the hell would this shit storm of an offense do with more chances? Oh yeah, squander them just like they did after Hardy made an unbelievable play.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Tough to argue with Sturm as usual. Need to get a little desperate.

Still, they had the chance at the end... Not as egregious as some think either. Both approaches are long shots.

Carp

DCC 4Life
The way I see it, the bulk of the blame definitely rests at the feet of the coaching staff.

The game plan was way too conservative. I get that Cassel is limited in what he can do but the play calling inside the red zone was an absolute joke. It felt like they were happily settling for FG attempts.

There was a definite "playing not to lose" mentality with the offense yesterday for practically the entire game.

It's sickening and is of no entertainment value to me. If that's their offensive philosophy then I'm not going to even bother watching games until Romo returns.
They had a really good chance. There were some plays called that would have extended drives, but the players did not execute. Free fell down on one 3rd down conversion and McFadden ran towards the sideline instead of turning it up on the swing pass. Not to mention Cassel just not having any awareness to get rid of the ball instead of taking a time consuming sack. It's easy to blame Garrett, but the players blew chances to win.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Fuck you all. We tried the HB Pass play. Obviously the coaching staff is trying.

I don't know what more you all expect.
At this point I'd put McFadden at QB and Weeden at RB. Can't hurt....0-5 doing it their way.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Reminds me of the 1999 season. When healthy, we won and the season began with great promise. Once major injury happened in Philadelphia (Irvin and Romo), we sputtered remainder of year.

Jerruh continued to avoid QB situation even though aikman was a strong breeze from the next concussion. Romo's pretty much there, each hit resulting in an injury, yet we haven't prepared for life after.
We won't draft a QB in the first because our brain trust views it as a waste to have a first rounder not start from day one. We'll wait til Romo is done and then panic.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Tough to argue with Sturm as usual. Need to get a little desperate.

Still, they had the chance at the end... Not as egregious as some think either. Both approaches are long shots.
what bugs me is we've had the chance to win at least 3 of these games, if not 4 if you count Atlanta. We have to figure out a way to win close games without crossing our fingers and hoping Romo comes to the rescue. It was a problem prior to 2014 also.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I'm so frustrated at this point, that I'm almost willing to give Moore a shot. Hell, it can't hurt. Outside of the runs he made, Cassel didn't look very good yesterday. his pocket awareness is terrible, and there was at least once that he couldn't even hit the dumpoff throw.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I think generally speaking the game plan was fine, Cassel threw the game away against the Giants, what do you think is going to happen against a far superior defense?

With that said, you have to be situationally aggressive, it's fine being ultra conservative for the majority of the game but there are moments when you have to go for the game. You spend the whole game being ultra-conservative just so you can take a few shots to win it, we didn't take those shots.

I'm generally talking about the 3 and outs following the Hardy INT and the blocked FG, especially that 3rd and 2 where it was clear the Seahawks were selling out against the run. Go play-action, roll out there, something.

I totally understand being ultra-conservative for most of the game, but you have to be aggressive in a few key moments, we weren't.
I think you are right about the coaches thought process but they adopted a flawed logic. If you think your opponent is superior to you the worst possible thing you can do is create a strategy that makes it harder for you to score. The obvious thing to do is create a game strategy that keeps your opponent guessing. It doesn't matter that your opponent is better than you, the off balance element will force them to change their execution and keep them more off balance. The game plan for Seattle was tailored to lose because they are a good team at shutting down the run. So what does Dallas do, they played right into their hands and made themselves a one dimensional team on offense. How absurd is that?

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Broaddus says the downfield stuff was called and available and that Cassel chose to check it down on his own most of the day.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Broaddus says the downfield stuff was called and available and that Cassel chose to check it down on his own most of the day.
I guess we just somehow just lucked into the two most gutless backup QBs in the league then.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So he didn't do that against the Giants, but against the Seahawks he just chose not to attack down field? And the coaches at no point did anything about this? If this was just Weeden I may say your argument holds water but we are now on backup number 2, who went from aggressive QB to suddenly as cautious as they come. If you're trying to say the coaches didn't play a huge part in that that you're only kidding yourself.

Top Bottom