A week of LGBTQ acceptance education in a middle school. Really?

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Yeah, except that the bullying and harassment of gay/trans kids has been a pretty big problem in high schools, to the point of pushing some kids to suicide. There is nothing wrong with giving kids the message that it is not OK to do that and that people should be accepted for who they are.

The message itself is a good one. It just gets warped and used to push different agendas by different people. I can think of other ideals that fit this description.
Don't shove your 'not bullying and harassing people into suicide' agenda down his throat!

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So if the lgbt kids aren't getting stuffed into lockers and trashed dumped on, who are kids picking on these days?
Now the anti bullying stuff actually makes sense but I'm not sure anyone will be able to change kids behavior on thay. It's something that has gone on forever.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I said it was what was coming. I also posted articles in that thread where it was happening. This is just another example of a superior feeling educated bureaucrat thinking that he knows what is better for the unwashed masses. I work in a department where they had us go through classes to teach us about alternative lifestyles and to be accepting when we had not had a problem with it in the entire time I have been here (over 24 years). My point is, as with all radicals, tolerance is not enough and never is. It isn't enough that agendas are pushed through the college environment, they are filtering down into lower education. More of this BS is coming and for you to say otherwise is you just being you.
I really find that hard to believe, what do mean not have any problems?

This was the thinking in the 1990's was your department immune from this?

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/1995/02/texas-murder-199502

That Hugh Callaway also remembered, what every gay person across the state remembers like a brand on the arm, was the sentence the killer had received—30 years from a state district judge named Jack Hampton, who had previously been known around the courthouse as a hanging judge. It didn’t make sense to Callaway, until Hampton, in an interview with the Dallas Times Herald, unburdened himself:

“I don’t much care for queers cruising the streets picking up teenage boys,” said Hampton. “I’ve got a teenage boy… These two guys wouldn’t have been killed if they hadn’t been cruising the streets picking up teenage boys,” the judge added, despite the fact that testimony never clearly showed that the two victims had solicited the murderer, Richard Lee Bednarski, for sex.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
It has become popular to be gay these days. It seems moreso with girls in my experience.
All girls should be gay until they are ready to settle down and have a family.

That way they don't have to worry about horny guys trying to stuff dicks in them all the time and the potential for having kids before they are ready.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
All girls should be gay until they are ready to settle down and have a family.

That way they don't have to worry about horny guys trying to stuff dicks in them all the time and the potential for having kids before they are ready.
Whatever is wrong with you is no little thing.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
Now the anti bullying stuff actually makes sense but I'm not sure anyone will be able to change kids behavior on thay. It's something that has gone on forever.
Social media has made it inherently worse. It's a lot easier to act like a sociopath when you don't have to look into the other person's eyes.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Social media has made it inherently worse. It's a lot easier to act like a sociopath when you don't have to look into the other person's eyes.
Absolutely.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Eh, I feel like kids were always pretty ruthless. Social media maybe changed the platform to do it on but kids have always been mean to each other. I can remember some pretty nasty stuff kids did to each other back when I was in grade school. I think as a society we are just more sensitive to these issues then we were 20 years ago. It used to be if you were getting bullied someone would just tell you to toughen up. Now we have week long course in schools for sensitivity training.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Eh, I feel like kids were always pretty ruthless. Social media maybe changed the platform to do it on but kids have always been mean to each other. I can remember some pretty nasty stuff kids did to each other back when I was in grade school. I think as a society we are just more sensitive to these issues then we were 20 years ago. It used to be if you were getting bullied someone would just tell you to toughen up. Now we have week long course in schools for sensitivity training.
Used to be if someone was bullying you the go to response was to fight back. Now if a couple of kids blow off some steam and throw a few punches the school officials act like the world has ended.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Used to be if someone was bullying you the go to response was to fight back. Now if a couple of kids blow off some steam and throw a few punches the school officials act like the world has ended.
Yeah you really can't touch anyone any more. Parents can't touch their kids. Kids can't touch each other. Adults can't touch each other. I mean if you're being picked on or bullied I have no idea what you're supposed to do to defend yourself.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Yeah you really can't touch anyone any more. Parents can't touch their kids. Kids can't touch each other. Adults can't touch each other. I mean if you're being picked on or bullied I have no idea what you're supposed to do to defend yourself.
Safe zones.

Thank God for safe zones. They just might be the savior of mankind.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
Yeah, except that the bullying and harassment of gay/trans kids has been a pretty big problem in high schools, to the point of pushing some kids to suicide. There is nothing wrong with giving kids the message that it is not OK to do that and that people should be accepted for who they are.

The message itself is a good one. It just gets warped and used to push different agendas by different people. I can think of other ideals that fit this description.
There is nothing wrong with telling kids to be respectful of people that are different without spending an entire week on a particular minority especially when that groups agenda has been and is so divisive.

Don't shove your 'not bullying and harassing people into suicide' agenda down his throat!
C'mon Clay, get real dude. That isn't what this principal's agenda is and you know it. I can tell and do tell my daughter to be respectful at all times and I'm sure most parents do. If you as a school has problems with a few kids that don't behave, deal with them instead of the broad brush approach you know is going to piss parents off. Otherwise all they are doing is seeking publicity.

I really find that hard to believe, what do mean not have any problems?

This was the thinking in the 1990's was your department immune from this?

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/1995/02/texas-murder-199502
That article is about Dallas and other areas. Fort Worth has not had a problem with the community in the time I have been working on this department. The one incident that happened in FW during that time was the Rainbow Lounge incident. And while it was in FW, it was agents of the TABC that were at the heart of it and the agents were treated badly by their department, not for what they did, but because the person they hurt was gay. It was a BS deal.

So go find another article to try and refute what I told you since you seem to want to take issue with everything I say.

townsend

Banned
There is nothing wrong with telling kids to be respectful of people that are different without spending an entire week on a particular minority especially when that groups agenda has been and is so divisive
It shouldn't be divisive though. The "agenda" that LGBT folks have is just being allowed to do live their lives without anyone bothering them. They want to marry who they want, and not be discriminated against. That shouldn't be divisive, the people who are polarized against it are being bad people, in the same way that the people who were against divisive issues like interracial marriage were bad people.

Top Bottom