Sturm: Why Dallas can't afford to use No. 4 pick based on need

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Right. This "busted because the team was bad" is a bit lame. Players bust because they don't put in the work or don't have the talent.

And if it is true, Dallas is hardly a great QB incubator so we should never draft a QB.
We have a stud offensive line. Elite WR and an experienced stud TE to bring a QB along. We have plenty.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
No one has 12 year careers except QBs and... QBs.
You realize that's playimg until like 33 or 34 for most players? There are lots of positions like that. Well except RB.

Are you trying to say that it doesn't make a guy more valuable if he will play 12 years at a high level as opposed to 5?

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Right. This "busted because the team was bad" is a bit lame. Players bust because they don't put in the work or don't have the talent.
Some of them become injury prone before their time because they get the hell beat out of them. I think Carr was ruined by the beating he took in Houston behind those terrible OLs. Expansion teams are a special kind of suck though.

townsend

Banned
Some of them become injury prone before their time because they get the hell beat out of them. I think Carr was ruined by the beating he took in Houston behind those terrible OLs. Expansion teams are a special kind of suck though.
It depends. The Panthers and Jaguars hit their stride quickly. The Browns have been in "expansion" mode for like 20 years now.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
It depends. The Panthers and Jaguars hit their stride quickly. The Browns have been in "expansion" mode for like 20 years now.
Each expansion goes by its own rules and so is a different animal. The Cowboys, Vikings, Saints, Falcons, Bucs, Seahawks, Browns and Texans all sucked for quite a while before looking like they were playing football.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
You realize that's playimg until like 33 or 34 for most players? There are lots of positions like that. Well except RB.

Are you trying to say that it doesn't make a guy more valuable if he will play 12 years at a high level as opposed to 5?
I'm saying the 4th pick in the draft doesn't have to be a 12 year, one-team stud.

This guy is saying he must be just because we never draft this high. Awful convenient for a guy who wants a QB.

Not the way the league works anymore; you are always really building for the next 5-7 years.

Larry Fitzgerald is the rare elite non-QB who lasts 12 years with the team who drafted him.

Just because Dallas is drafting 4th doesn't mean they must find a guy who's going to stay here a decade. DeMarcus Ware at a mere 9 years didn't even manage that.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
We probably won't draft for need, we'll probably instead draft Jalen Ramsey.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not the way the league works anymore; you are always really building for the next 5-7 years.
This is just a ridiculous excuse to draft a RB because you want one. No one picks in the top 4 of the draft thinking, well I just want him for 5 years because we will rebuild again by then. If you're rebuilding that often you'd have to get like 5 starters every draft just to be successful in the NFL.

townsend

Banned
Cam Newton, who was really a bit of a forced pick at #1, really just now started paying dividends into his 2nd contract. Does anyone doubt that Luck will play his best football after he finishes his rookie contract? Tyrone Smith, Jason Witten, Tony Romo, and arguably Demarcus Ware all played their best football after they had been signed long term. With a top 5 pick especially, you're trying for a franchise player, the one you expect to hand a 100 million dollar contract to at some point.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cam Newton, who was really a bit of a forced pick at #1, really just now started paying dividends into his 2nd contract. Does anyone doubt that Luck will play his best football after he finishes his rookie contract? Tyrone Smith, Jason Witten, Tony Romo, and arguably Demarcus Ware all played their best football after they had been signed long term. With a top 5 pick especially, you're trying for a franchise player, the one you expect to hand a 100 million dollar contract to at some point.
Just training them for other teams.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
This is just a ridiculous excuse to draft a RB because you want one. No one picks in the top 4 of the draft thinking, well I just want him for 5 years because we will rebuild again by then. If you're rebuilding that often you'd have to get like 5 starters every draft just to be successful in the NFL.
1st round RB's who aren't busts are usually elite for about 6-8 years, not 5 like you are suggesting. Who are you thinking of (that wasn't a bust)?

In general when you draft you are shooting for the next 5-8 years, so if it's just the first round we're talking 7-9 years. That by definition ensures a second contract since rookie contract lengths can't be longer than 5 years.

Most draftees will be quality depth and never start.

You need your 1st and 2nd rounders to start, but expecting them to have careers more than double the NFL average is more than stupid, it's delusional.

DeMarcus Ware and Terence Newman were 9 year vets who tailed off in their last year. Mario Williams played with his first team 6 years. Logan Mankins also lasted 9 years and the great Richard Seymour was traded away after 8 years.

Rare HOF caliber players like Ray Lewis and Brian Urlacher have long careers, but they are indeed very rare. If you are expecting an Urlacher from the 4th pick, again you're kind of deranged. Not going to happen.

Who's drafted that high besides a QB or maybe an OL that you actually plan on being a backbone player 9 years from now?

Be realistic.

Last edited:

Donpingon

DCC 4Life
seriously speaking what benefit would Jalen Ramsey bring to the Cowboys? I wasn't excited with Byron Jones at first but he turned out to be much better than I thought (and versatile). I dont want Ramsey but if we're stuck with him as our pick, what does he bring us

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
seriously speaking what benefit would Jalen Ramsey bring to the Cowboys? I wasn't excited with Byron Jones at first but he turned out to be much better than I thought (and versatile). I dont want Ramsey but if we're stuck with him as our pick, what does he bring us
Same as Jones.

Not sure what that exactly is because they will spend a whole fucking season figuring it out.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Same as Jones.

Not sure what that exactly is because they will spend a whole fucking season figuring it out.
Yep the team needs an immediate impact player at several positions but corner isn't one of them.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I'm saying the 4th pick in the draft doesn't have to be a 12 year, one-team stud.
That's one of the stupidest things I've read on this board. That's EXACTLY what you want/hope for from a top five draft pick.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tyron Smith will probably be here for 12+ years. Now that is great value. There is zero chance of that from Elliott.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
That's one of the stupidest things I've read on this board. That's EXACTLY what you want/hope for from a top five draft pick.
Of course, but you won't get it.

Not from many positions save QB.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Of course, but you won't get it.

Not from many positions save QB.
I'm not saying it's the norm, but it is certainly not impossible. And by more positions than just QB. In fact, I'd say pretty much every position but RB is possible. Seeing somebody get drafted at 22 yrs old and playing until they're 34 in not that unreasonable. Whether they're a DE, WR, CB, or whatever. And we see guys drafted even younger than that all the time.

Just from guys on the team right now, I'd like to think all three of our stud Olinemen could attain that. Money and health providing, of course. Romo and Witten are already past that point. Dez has been here six years. It's not impossible that he's here for another six. And I'm sure there are more possibilities.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I'm not saying it's the norm, but it is certainly not impossible. And by more positions than just QB. In fact, I'd say pretty much every position but RB is possible. Seeing somebody get drafted at 22 yrs old and playing until they're 34 in not that unreasonable. Whether they're a DE, WR, CB, or whatever. And we see guys drafted even younger than that all the time.

Just from guys on the team right now, I'd like to think all three of our stud Olinemen could attain that. Money and health providing, of course. Romo and Witten are already past that point. Dez has been here six years. It's not impossible that he's here for another six. And I'm sure there are more possibilities.
Yeah but I dont want those type of players drafted at the top of the round.

Top Bottom