Gameday Chatter Thread |Cowboys v. Giants| 09-11-16

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Dez needs to get his ass in gear. I'm about 5 minutes from jumping on the Bipo bandwagon regarding Dez.

The thing that's holding me back is I don't think the Cowboys give Dez near enough opportunities to run the underneath routes. It seems like 90% of the throws towards Dez are go/fade routes.

I'd use him like we use Beasely. Put him in the slot and let him run some rub routes out of bunch formations. Run drags, slants, etc. I think this coaching staff has done an incredibly poor job of putting their best players in position to win.

Fitzgerald is no burner yet the Cardinals find ways to get him the ball in space. They move him all over the field. A part of me thinks that if you insert Dez into another system led by competent coaches, we'd see a productive WR. Regardless of the QB situation.

Embarrassing that a WR of his caliber constantly puts up fewer than 30 yards when Romo's out of the lineup. This is one of those times where I wish Jerry would rip into everyone on the coaching staff because the HC is too much of a bitch to do it himself.
I don't understand why we run so many designed plays for Beasley and hardly any for Dez.
Yup.

I've been saying that for a while myself.

Dez doesn't get a free pass, but my goodness.....it is absolutely criminal how poor this staff's creativity is when it comes to getting Dez the ball.

As 1big said, it's actually bad all over and not just specific to Dez. It's just that Dez is the most glaring example.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
The defense definitely looked better in the 2nd half to me. Seemed like Thornton and Durant made a difference. The shotgun draws to Jennings at the end were brutal though. We had no answer for that play.

Also, I really hope they start giving Elliott handoffs when the QB is under center. Morris did well with that...although he was a bit more patient than Zeke was.
Absolutely.

I was bitching about this throughout the game yesterday.

I understand wanting to incorporate some college-type looks and plays for Dak and Zeke, but it shouldn't be such a heavy part of our offense. We have no experience with it and our line wasn't built for that.

This line excels at conventional running schemes and that is what we should be going with.

What this staff failed to understand is that Zeke is s gifted runner. You don't have to get cute with him in order for him to be successful. Just create some space, which this line can do the conventional way, and Zeke will find the holes and exploit them.

And, yes, give us more Morris. It's ridiculous that he got so little PT yesterday.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
They should promote Garrett to GM, that's a good way to get Jones out of the picture and also get some new offensive ideas, while still promoting some of the important concepts Garrett stands for.
:lol

Promoted?!

That moron doesn't deserve a promotion, he deserves to be fired.

What is with your affinity for Garrett?

dallen

Senior Tech
Yup.

I've been saying that for a while myself.

Dez doesn't get a free pass, but my goodness.....it is absolutely criminal how poor this staff's creativity is when it comes to getting Dez the ball.

As 1big said, it's actually bad all over and not just specific to Dez. It's just that Dez is the most glaring example.

dallen

Senior Tech
They should promote Garrett to GM, that's a good way to get Jones out of the picture and also get some new offensive ideas, while still promoting some of the important concepts Garrett stands for.
ludicre

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Why not? He wasnt qualified to be an offensive coordinator. Check. He wasn't qualified to be a head coach. Check.

Why stop now?

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
If Dez Bryant is not a way bigger part of the offense this team is not going to win many games. I put a lot of that on him for not getting open enough but the coaching staff deserves even more criticism. I completely agree that if they should run him on some of the short over the middle routes they throw to Beasley. Put the ball in his hands and see if he can make a play for Christ's sake. And instead of those absolutely waste of a play screens to Witten, how about throwing those to a guy who can maybe do something with the ball in his hands instead? The TE screen to Witten is the dumbest play in their playbook. It has no chance of gaining more than 2-3 yards. Maybe that is all Dez gets on some of those too, but there is a chance he breaks a tackle or makes someone miss and picks up a chunk of yardage. That chance does not exist when the play goes to Witten. It is mind-boggling that they even have that play in the playbook.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
:lol

Promoted?!

That moron doesn't deserve a promotion, he deserves to be fired.

What is with your affinity for Garrett?
He'd be an upgrade over Jerry. And since Jerry will never turn to an outsider, handing power over to the Garrett family, who he clearly loves, may be our way out.

Plus then he's not your coach anymore so you can stop complaining about that.

I mean, while we're wishing for things, I wish Jerry would hire a real GM, but that will never happen, so I might as well set my sights a little lower with something that sounds slightly more plausible. :lol

Last edited:

Smitty

DCC 4Life
If Dez Bryant is not a way bigger part of the offense this team is not going to win many games. I put a lot of that on him for not getting open enough but the coaching staff deserves even more criticism. I completely agree that if they should run him on some of the short over the middle routes they throw to Beasley. Put the ball in his hands and see if he can make a play for Christ's sake. And instead of those absolutely waste of a play screens to Witten, how about throwing those to a guy who can maybe do something with the ball in his hands instead? The TE screen to Witten is the dumbest play in their playbook. It has no chance of gaining more than 2-3 yards. Maybe that is all Dez gets on some of those too, but there is a chance he breaks a tackle or makes someone miss and picks up a chunk of yardage. That chance does not exist when the play goes to Witten. It is mind-boggling that they even have that play in the playbook.
I thought Linehan was supposed to be scheming ways to get Dez open? Week 1 fail.

Jiggyfly

Banned
He'd be an upgrade over Jerry. And since Jerry will never turn to an outsider, handing power over to the Garrett family, who he clearly loves, may be our way out.

Plus then he's not your coach anymore so you can stop complaining about that.
Way to set the bar so low.:lol

It's good to know that you feel failing or being mediocre is grounds for a promotion.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Way to set the bar so low.:lol

It's good to know that you feel failing or being mediocre is grounds for a promotion.
I don't feel that way, you are just either too dumb to get the point or you are being deliberately obtuse to make a point, which is missing the mark.

Jiggyfly

Banned
PFF

Dallas Cowboys

Quarterback grade: Dak Prescott, 64.3

Conservative first outing for rookie QB Dak Prescott

After playing brilliantly this preseason, the hype surrounding Dak Prescott’s regular-season debut was massive; on Sunday, though, he had a fairly uneventful first showing. The rookie QB was inconsistent in terms of accuracy, often times finding the open receiver but putting the ball just out of reach. He protected the ball, however, and the Cowboys were in it with a shot to win at the end. Outside of some deep shots to Dez Bryant, the gameplan was pretty conservative for Prescott, with 27 of his 41 attempts traveling no more than 9 yards in the air.

Dak Prescott under pressure versus Giants

Top offensive grades:

LT Tyron Smith, 81.1

C Travis Frederick, 79.3

RG Zack Martin, 78.2

TE Geoff Swaim, 70.0

WR Brice Butler, 65.8

Jeckyll-and-Hyde performance from Cowboys’ offensive line

Tyron Smith, Travis Frederick, and Zack Martin combined to give up just two total pressures on Sunday (Smith and Martin each gave up a hurry), while La’el Collins and Doug Free combined to give up nine, including four hits. Collins also had a miserable day run blocking, where Olivier Vernon just continuously blew him up at the line of scrimmage. The Cowboys were unable to get anything going on the ground, evident by their 3.4 yards per carry, which greatly hampered their ability to sustain anything on offense.

Top defensive grades:

CB Brandon Carr, 84.7

S Byron Jones, 80.0

ED Benson Mayowa, 78.0

DI Terrell McClain, 76.5

S Barry Church, 73.9

Secondary leads the way for Dallas defense

Benson Mayowa led the defense with five total pressures (including a sack), while Terrell McClain tied Sean Lee for the team lead with five stops, but outside of them, the only real standout performances from the defensive side of the football came from the secondary. Barry Church accumulated six tackles while allowing just 10 yards on two receptions in pass coverage; Byron Jones allowed just one of two targets to be caught, and he also had a pass defense; Brandon Carr (although he did get beat for a TD in the red zone) allowed just three of six targets to be caught for 31 yards, while also snagging an interception.

Top Bottom