Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cotton

Staff member
FA Rumors: Okung, Galette, Raji, Forte

March 14th, 2016 at 11:55am CST by Luke Adams

Free agent offensive tackle Russell Okung has offers on the table from the Lions, Steelers, and Giants, according to Jason La Canfora of CBSSports.com, who reports (via Twitter) that Okung is talking to Steelers offensive line coach Mike Munchak today. Meanwhile, Jordan Raanan of NJ.com (Twitter link) hears that the Giants are probably an underdog for the former first-round pick, who has no other visits scheduled for now.

While La Canfora doesn’t indicate that the Seahawks have made a formal offer to Okung, that doesn’t necessarily mean that Seattle is out of it. I’m speculating, but it’s possible that the veteran tackle will give his longtime team the opportunity to match any offer he receives from rival suitors before he agrees to a deal. Since he’s representing himself, Okung’s time on the market has lasted a little longer than it otherwise might have, but it looks like there’s a decent chance of him getting something done this week.

Let’s round up a few more free agent rumors from around the NFL…

Junior Galette remains in a holding pattern, according to Mike Jones of the Washington Post, who reports that the pass rusher would like a one-year deal that would pay him in the $7-9MM range. Jones writes that Washington has made one-, two-, and three-year offers to Galette, but they’re all low on base salaries and heavy on incentives.

The Panthers are in the market for players to contribute to their defensive tackle rotation, and David Newton of ESPN.com says that the team has interest in B.J. Raji. Carolina also brought in Paul Soliai for a visit over the weekend, as we previously heard.

In a conversation with reporters, including Rich Cimini of ESPN.com (Twitter links), Matt Forte said today that the Buccaneers and Cowboys were among his suitors, and the Patriots and Packers also expressed “minor interest.” Forte, who ultimately signed with the Jets, added that not receiving an offer from the Bears was a “hard pill to swallow.”

According to Ian Rapoport of NFL.com (via Twitter), defensive tackle Sammie Lee Hill is the latest in a series of interior defenders to visit the Seahawks, who are looking to beef up the middle of the line in the wake of Brandon Mebane‘s departure.

Cotton

Staff member

Jiggyfly

Banned
In a conversation with reporters, including Rich Cimini of ESPN.com (Twitter links), Matt Forte said today that the Buccaneers and Cowboys were among his suitors, and the Patriots and Packers also expressed “minor interest.” Forte, who ultimately signed with the Jets, added that not receiving an offer from the Bears was a “hard pill to swallow.”
Interesting, I wonder if the money was not right or that he wanted to play in NY.

That is something that gets lost in all of the gnashing of teeth, the player has to actually want to sign with the team, nobody knows why Hayward picked San Diego.

Cotton

Staff member
Wait, the Broncos signed Sanchez? How did I miss that? Lulz

Cotton

Staff member

Sonofabitch!

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Sonofabitch!
Feh. You knew he would not sign in Dallas.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member
Feh. You knew he would not sign in Dallas.
Look at that contract. I would have been all over that. Which means of course we were not.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member
It's a little higher than I would have liked considering the contract length and his age.
Maybe a smidge high, but I wouldn't have hesitated. Besides, it looks like the contract is very front-end loaded, so could get out cheap later in the contract.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It's a little higher than I would have liked considering the contract length and his age.
Contract length means shit. The guaranteed money is the real thing to look at. We simply are not going to spend this year. Period.

This was a two year deal for all intents and purposes.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
We had plenty of space to sign Weddle if we had wanted to, I don't really blame them for not doing so since it's a bit more than I'd want to pay him but not signing Hayward really pisses me off. And for all we know we were right there in terms of how much we were offering Weddle, there was alot of cloak and dagger stuff going on with his FA recruitment.

From a higher level perspective, it really pisses me off that we seem to be wanting to go after a win-now mentality through the draft, thus ignoring the potential to solidify our QB situation for years, as opposed to trying to win-now through free agency. We easily could've been more aggressive in free agency and went after guys like Hayward, Weddle, Tahir Whitehead, Jerrell Freeman, Lamar Miller, etc., and used the 4th pick on a QB, thereby solidifying the present and the future.

Mortgaging a little bit of our future in free agency wouldn't have been a terrible thing considering the huge contracts that will be gone in 2-3 years (Romo namely but also Witten, Carr and probably Lee as well).

As usual, this organization shows no real foresight or creativity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom