MLB Chatter Thread

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Not sure you can overturn that based on those angles.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
God damn it, Martinez. You suck so f'ing bad.

Cotton

Staff member
Jesus Christ.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
They let Martinez off the hook in the 1st and 3rd, but they got him here.

It's going to be a typical 9-8 type of Red Sox game.

Cotton

Staff member
:picard

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Rays and Rangers have had trade talks regarding a deal that would send Jake Odorizzi to the Rangers in exchange for a bat. Rays are known to have interest in Jurickson Profar, Joey Gallo and Lewis Brinson. The teams are not close to a deal but dialogue continues according to sources familiar with the talks.

http://espn.go.com/espn/now?nowId=21...937786808282-4

Rev

Staff member
Well Im sure that you read that the talks arent near so that would exclude Profar.

Cotton

Staff member
No damn way it's Profar. And I highly doubt it's Gallo straight up.

Rev

Staff member
It just says that the Rays are interested. Not that the Rangers are willing to give up any of them.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
God damn it, Martinez. You suck so f'ing bad.
I was watching the game with my bro-in-law who is a huge Rangers fan, and we were trying to make sense of why they kept him in there so long.

I thought of two possible reasons:

One, they've been going through a lot of arms in relief as of late and didn't want to wear guys down even more.

Two, being as the Red Sox pitching isn't so great either, he probably thought he could stick with him a bit longer because the Rangers would be knocking in the runs themselves.

However, the runs didn't keep coming and the Red Sox just eventually pulled away.

Rev

Staff member
I was watching the game with my bro-in-law who is a huge Rangers fan, and we were trying to make sense of why they kept him in there so long.

I thought of two possible reasons:

One, they've been going through a lot of arms in relief as of late and didn't want to wear guys down even more.

Two, being as the Red Sox pitching isn't so great either, he probably thought he could stick with him a bit longer because the Rangers would be knocking in the runs themselves.

However, the runs didn't keep coming and the Red Sox just eventually pulled away.
It's the first reason. Our bullpen is used way too much and it's catching up to us right now. Saturday against the Twins we had to use our third catcher to pitch an inning.

Right now Hamels is the only one we can count on to pitch past six innings and even he didn't do that Sunday. Perez tries to get the perfect pitch and ends up only going 6. Griffin is coming back from shoulder tightness so he goes 5. Then you have Martinez that once he hits the 3rd time through the Order he is toast. Same with Chi Chi.

Basically it was use Martinez up for as long as he could go. They think Darvish will be back right after all star break. As well as one of our young top relievers.

Cotton

Staff member
MLB Rumor Central: Rangers prospect Ariel Jurado in high demand?

7:31 AM CT
Doug Mittler
ESPN.com

The Texas Rangers are expected to be among the more active teams as the Aug. 1 deadline approaches, and they have a surplus of young talent to use as trade bait.

Rumor CentralInfielders Jurickson Profar and Joey Gallo and outfielder Lewis Brinson are names that have popped up, but teams also are very interested in high-A right-hander Ariel Jurado, reports Ken Rosenthal of FoxSports.com.

The 20-year-old Jurado has struck out 242 and walked just 40 in four professional seasons. The native of Panama is 7-2 with a 3.15 ERA this season for the High Desert Mavericks of the California League.

Rosenthal lists Double-A outfielder Ryan Cordell, first baseman Ronald Guzman and right-hander Connor Sadzeck as other prospects who could be in play.

ESPN’s Jim Bowden expects the Rangers, who have been dealing with injuries to their rotation, to pursue another starter as well as bullpen help.

Cotton

Staff member
The most realistic Rangers trade targets to reinforce the pitching staff

By Evan Grant , Staff Writer

The Rangers believe they are on the cusp of getting Yu Darvish back for the starting rotation and Keone Kela for the bullpen. Those qualify as two huge additions.

They also think that Derek Holland could be back, maybe around the end of July, Tanner Scheppers in early August and Colby Lewis later that month.

There are reinforcements supposedly on the way.

But the truth is that five pitchers are coming back from injury and another, A.J. Griffin, just returned. The state of the pitching staff is shaky and it makes July an important month for the Rangers to consider reinforcing the staff. Last year the Rangers added three pitchers in two trades at the deadline and overhauled the pitching staff and their fortunes for the rest of the year. The ability to make a similar move this year might be the difference between a playoff team and that elusive world championship.

But the Rangers also gave up a ton to acquire Cole Hamels and have little advanced pitching left to deal, which is an issue when you are trying to acquire a pitcher. In the Bible, it may be an eye-for-an-eye; but in baseball, it's more like an arm-for-an-arm.

I just make lists. I'll leave the negotiations and stuff to Jon Daniels and Co.

With that in mind, here are what I consider the realistically attractive trade options for the Rangers. Don't think Aroldis Chapman and Chris Sale. Ain't happening. But one of these guys or a combination of a starter and reliever might be exactly what it takes to take this team where it feels destined to go: The World Series.

(NOTE: Read this list from top to bottom in order of my perceived desirability, though I'm not so sure that it goes No. 1 and then everybody else is equal.)

Sonny Gray, Oakland

This is the one super high-profile starter I'd pursue. He's got an AL pedigree. He's pitched in the West with success. Yes, his superficial numbers are off this year, but one isn't: his ground ball to fly ball rate. He's averaging 2.44 ground balls per fly ball. Take that number and transfer from the worst-rated defense in the majors to one that is second in defensive efficiency, according to Fangraphs, and fourth in runs saved, and I've got to believe the numbers would increase dramatically. He's allowing more contact, which has created more ground balls and Oakland hasn't handled them. As with all of my targets, he's just entering arbitration. And I feel he'd learn a ton being around Cole Hamels and Colby Lewis. This is the guy for whom I'd be willing to talk about somebody from top of the system, even if it is Joey Gallo.

Arodys Vizcaino, Atlanta

It is no secret Rangers manager Jeff Banister likes "big" power arms. Think of Vizcaino as perhaps the more cost effective alternative to Chapman. Among relievers with at least 20 innings entering the week, he ranked third in average velocity (97.5 mph). The downside: A high walk rate (5.1 per nine innings). He is the kind of guy who might fit well into a sixth- or seventh-inning role to start and grow into something bigger. And, whereas Chapman is a rental, he's under contract control through salary arbitration for three more years.

Tampa Bay starters

Three guys in Tampa Bay hold varying degrees of appeal: Chris Archer, Jake Odorizzi and Matt Moore. Archer, despite a down year, will cost the most, but could be under team control through 2021 on very affordable terms. And remember, he was an emerging star as recently as a year ago. Odorizzi is under control through 2020; with club options in his deal, Moore could be through 2019. The numbers for all the Tampa Bay pitchers are ugly, particularly when it comes to homers allowed, but they play in a division with ridiculously small stadiums prone to goofy homer numbers. Moore, for example, has a 3.09 ERA and has allowed three homers in 23.1 innings over four starts against AL West opponents.

Tyler Thornburg, Milwaukee

Two years removed from an elbow issue that cost him the second half of the 2014 season and having left the starting rotation behind for good, Thornburg has seen a significant spike in velocity with both his fastball (averaging 94.6 mph) and a power curve. He will enter salary arbitration for the first time this winter. The biggest issue may be home runs; he's allowed five in 31.2 innings.

Drew Pomeranz, San Diego

The Rangers drafted him in 2007 and badly wanted to sign him before he went off to Ole Miss. He has since been with four organizations in six seasons, but after Oakland juggled him between the rotation and the bullpen, he seems to have turned a corner as a starter with San Diego. Yes, he's pitching in a big ballpark, but he's also averaging 1.45 ground balls per fly ball. In his first year of arbitration, so controllable for two years behind this one. He might be a nice option for the back part of the rotation for the remainder of 2016 and could move up next year. And there is that always intriguing possibility of Jon Daniels and his old friend, San Diego GM AJ Preller, teaming up for a deal.

Nathan Eovaldi, New York

While the Yankees are likely to be focused on getting big hauls for Aroldis Chapman, Andrew Miller and Dellin Betances, maybe Eovaldi is a starting version of Sam Dyson. A guy who could be had late for a somewhat lesser price. He's got overpowering stuff, but occasionally makes mistakes up in the zone that lead to homers. Like Gray, though, he gets a lot of ground balls and plays for a team that hasn't handled the grounders particularly well. With the Rangers infield, he should see a reduction in baserunners and high stress counts/innings that lead to stressful, poorly executed pitches. Oh, and he's a Texan. Grew up in Alvin. Rangers have had some success with fellas from Alvin. He is under control through 2017.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
At this point we see that Gallo isn't going to be Bryce Harper or even close. I'd easily consider trading him for a starter.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
Now just 6.5 back of the World Half-season Champion DFW Rangers.

I know the Astros will never beat them head-to-head, bro dude bro, but things are looking up at least.

Cotton

Staff member
Now just 6.5 back of the World Half-season Champion DFW Rangers.

I know the Astros will never beat them head-to-head, bro dude bro, but things are looking up at least.
Yeah, you guys have put on an impressive run. Hopefully, when we get all of our starting pitching back, we can put it back the way it was before.

Top Bottom