NBA Chatter Thread

Jiggyfly

Banned
Sources: Celtics, Wizards frontrunners to get Al Horford
Adrian Wojnarowski of The Vertical
6 hours ago
Yahoo Sports

The Boston Celtics and Washington Wizards have emerged as the frontrunners to sign free-agent big man Al Horford, and a final decision is expected Saturday night, league sources told The Vertical.

Horford could sign a four-year, $113 million maximum contract to leave the Atlanta Hawks.

Horford, 30, pared down the teams on Saturday morning, league sources said.

Horford met with four teams Friday in Atlanta, including the Celtics and Wizards, sources said.

Horford, a four-time All-Star, could only return to the Hawks if he decided to take the team’s most recent offer and the franchise made a series of moves to clear the necessary salary-cap space – an option that has become increasingly remote, league sources said.

Horford had been negotiating a five-year contract with Atlanta, but talks stalled – and the Hawks moved quickly to sign free agent Dwight Howard and re-sign guard Kent Bazemore.

The Hawks risk losing Horford – as well as forward Paul Millsap, who is a free agent in 2017 – for nothing. Millsap has been involved in trade talks in recent days, league sources told The Vertical.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Sources: Dwyane Wade fielding $20 million-a-year offers
20 hours ago
Yahoo Sports

As rival front offices start to take seriously Dwyane Wade's frustration with his Miami Heat contract talks, several teams are pursuing the 12-time All-Star with offers in the $20 million-annual range, league sources told The Vertical.

The Chicago Bulls, Dallas Mavericks, Denver Nuggets and Milwaukee Bucks have started a courtship process that has included offers in length of two and three years and upward of $20 million a season – a salary the Heat so far have been reluctant to offer, league sources said.
The Nuggets and Bulls have been among the most aggressive pursuers of Wade, league sources said.

Milwaukee has been open to sitting down and talking with Wade, but it doesn't have the salary-cap space – nor yet the full inclination – to make that kind of a commitment to Wade, league sources said.

Wade grew up in Chicago and played college basketball at Marquette in Milwaukee.

The Heat's initial offer of $10 million annually – which would've constituted a 50 percent pay cut from his $20 million 2015-16 salary – deeply angered Wade, league sources told The Vertical. Even with the Heat planning to counter to a higher figure, league sources said, Wade has been insistent on starting to explore the market and meet with teams once he returns from an overseas vacation, league sources said.

Wade had an excellent season for the Heat, averaging 23.7 points and leading a depleted roster into a Game 7 of the Eastern Conference semifinals.

Wade has taken less than his maximum-salary value on three straight deals to allow the Heat to supplement the roster with top talent. This time, the Heat are trying to balance the re-signing of center Hassan Whiteside to a four-year, $98 million maximum deal with the pursuit of free agent Kevin Durant. There are some close to Wade wondering whether the organization is trying to drive him away, but the Heat insist they want Wade to finish his career with the franchise, sources said.

Wade has been part of three NBA championship teams in Miami.

Miami is awaiting its meeting with Durant on Sunday in the Hamptons outside New York, where president Pat Riley and owner Micky Arison will make a presentation to Durant.

D

Deuce

Sources: Celtics, Wizards frontrunners to get Al Horford
6 hours ago
Yahoo Sports

The Boston Celtics and Washington Wizards have emerged as the frontrunners to sign free-agent big man Al Horford, and a final decision is expected Saturday night, league sources told The Vertical.

Horford could sign a four-year, $113 million maximum contract to leave the Atlanta Hawks.

Horford, 30, pared down the teams on Saturday morning, league sources said.

Horford met with four teams Friday in Atlanta, including the Celtics and Wizards, sources said.

Horford, a four-time All-Star, could only return to the Hawks if he decided to take the team’s most recent offer and the franchise made a series of moves to clear the necessary salary-cap space – an option that has become increasingly remote, league sources said.

Horford had been negotiating a five-year contract with Atlanta, but talks stalled – and the Hawks moved quickly to sign free agent Dwight Howard and re-sign guard Kent Bazemore.

The Hawks risk losing Horford – as well as forward Paul Millsap, who is a free agent in 2017 – for nothing. Millsap has been involved in trade talks in recent days, league sources told The Vertical.
I'll gladly take him in Boston. He's a hard worker and good attitude in the lockerroom.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I'll gladly take him in Boston. He's a hard worker and good attitude in the lockerroom.
Adrian Woj is reporting that Horford to the Celtics is pretty much a done deal. 4 years $113M.

1bigfan13

Staff member
I guess this and the fact that he's changed his Twitter avatar and banner photo to the Celtics logo makes it official.

1bigfan13

Staff member
There's an ESPN tweet claiming Harrison Barnes will sign with the Mavericks.

1bigfan13

Staff member
You sure? They have to save money to give Curry a max next year.
Isn't the cap going up even more next year? I thought that was why Durant and Lebron were likely doing 1 year deals.

I read that the cap jumped 34% this year.

D

Deuce

Isn't the cap going up even more next year? I thought that was why Durant and Lebron were likely doing 1 year deals.

I read that the cap jumped 34% this year.
It is, but the max deals are going up too. I know they needed to shed payroll to even compete for Durant so idk how much flexibility they would have if Barnes gets paid.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
It is, but the max deals are going up too. I know they needed to shed payroll to even compete for Durant so idk how much flexibility they would have if Barnes gets paid.

The general sentiment I've heard/read is that golden state will either sign Durant or match any offer for Barnes.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Durant to the Warriors. Damn.

Cotton

Staff member

Holee shit.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Oh good, another super team.

Flush my interest in the NBA down the toilet.

Great, every year we can have two all star teams meet in the Finals and fuck everyone else.

Lebron can pick his squad and Durant and Steph can pick theirs and they can go from there. Maybe Wade wants to rejoin LeBron in Cleveland too.

D

Deuce

He'll opt out next year when he has a title and the cap goes up. But still a lazy move.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Speaking of lazy.

1bigfan13

Staff member
He'll opt out next year when he has a title and the cap goes up. But still a lazy move.
I hope they fail miserably. I'm not bitter that he left but as you mentioned it's such a p***y move to go to the Warriors.

100% bandwagon move. Much worse than Lebron's decision because at least LeBron didn't run off to sign with his chief rival. Plus LeBron left a bad roster. OKC put a lot of talent around Durant.

And if we're being honest Durant needs to acknowledge that he's one of the primary reasons OKC didn't get past Golden State. That Game 6 performance was terrible and reeked of selfishness. I said the same during and right after that game.

D

Deuce

I hope they fail miserably. I'm not bitter that he left but as you mentioned it's such a p***y move to go to the Warriors.

100% bandwagon move. Much worse than Lebron's decision because at least LeBron didn't run off to sign with his chief rival. Plus LeBron left a bad roster. OKC put a lot of talent around Durant.

And if we're being honest Durant needs to acknowledge that he's one of the primary reasons OKC didn't get past Golden State. That Game 6 performance was terrible and reeked of selfishness. I said the same during and right after that game.
I almost wish the league would collude against the Warriors and refuse to deal with them to get them under the cap to sign him. It would be a bad look for the league, but so is this super team bullshit.

1bigfan13

Staff member
I almost wish the league would collude against the Warriors and refuse to deal with them to get them under the cap to sign him. It would be a bad look for the league, but so is this super team bullshit.
It's a new low. I've never seen a superstar in his prime jump to another team that already has 3 All-Stars.

Top Bottom