Stephen Jones: We’ll “try to be better” about drafting “right character” players

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Stephen Jones: We’ll “try to be better” about drafting “right character” players

Posted by Josh Alper on April 22, 2016, 3:10 PM EDT

Word broke this week that Cowboys defensive end Demarcus Lawrence is facing a four-game suspension for violating the league’s substance abuse policy.

Lawrence is appealing the suspension, but if it stands he will join fellow defensive end Randy Gregory on the suspended list for the start of the regular season. That’s obviously a problem for a Cowboys team that was already looking for pass rush help and executive vice president Stephen Jones said Friday that the team wants to “be better” about drafting players who stay on the field while addressing the suspensions generally.

“That’s a hard thing for people to get their hands around, it’s just hard to know when someone’s going to make the wrong turn or hit the wrong bump in terms of doing it once they get at our level,” Jones said on “G-Bag Nation” on 105.3 The Fan, via the Dallas Morning News. “It’s obviously so important to us in drafting guys with the right character but sometimes things happen that are unforeseen. Right now, I totally get that it may not look like it in terms of the mishaps we’ve had here, but it’s certainly very important to us and something we’ll continue to evaluate and try to be better.”

The Cowboys weren’t as concerned with that aspect of a player’s background when they signed Greg Hardy last year, although their experience with the defensive end should have underscored the need to find players who make most of their headlines on the field rather than off of it.

As for the need at defensive end, Jones said that Joey Bosa of Ohio State will get “strong consideration” from the team heading into Thursday’s first round. He also called Florida State defensive back Jalen Ramsey a “great football player” and the Cowboys could be choosing between that pair with the fourth overall pick.
--------

Wait, Gregory had a documented failed drug screen and Lawrence was suspended multiple times.

How is that "unforeseen", Goof?

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Stevie said:
It’s obviously so important to us in drafting guys with the right character
Oh yeah. Obviously.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
:lol

What a joke. Randy Gregory failed a drug test at the f'ing Combine. That only happens to complete morons or people with a real problems. Real difficult to foresee him failing a test in less than a year into his NFL career though. :dunce

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

What a joke. Randy Gregory failed a drug test at the f'ing Combine. That only happens to complete morons or people with a real problems. Real difficult to foresee him failing a test in less than a year into his NFL career though. :dunce
I would give him the Dez treatment with a full time life coach who follows him around.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I would give him the Dez treatment with a full time life coach who follows him around.
I think they might have had someone like that living with him during the season. Someone said something along those lines fairly recently on one of the team website's internet shows. Pretty sure it was Nick Eatman that said it.

This organization seems really cocky about their ability to deal with guys with issues. Almost arrogant about their ability to keep them in line. Yeah, it's not working. They should really consider the facts instead of their own misconceptions about how well they do with these at risk players.

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think they might have had someone like that living with him during the season. Someone said something along those lines fairly recently on one of the team website's internet shows. Pretty sure it was Nick Eatman that said it.
Well that man should definitely be fired then. He failed miserably.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member

Pretty hilarious that this tool says it's hard to see these things coming.

These clowns would probably sign Manziel then two months later act shocked that he's partying and drinking too much.

data

Forbes #1
Just using all the secret underground tunnels that Michael Irvin dug during the 90s that lead to all the brothels.

what White House? How we getting to DC in 30 minutes? Oh that one...

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Hey Goof, why don't you and the rest of your inbred, redneck executives "be better" at finding a real fucking head coach?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Well that man should definitely be fired then. He failed miserably.
Druggies will find a way to get high. I have friends that moved their son in with them so they could try to deter him but it still ended badly. He died of an overdose in their back yard.

GShock

DCC 4Life
It's like the hot/crazy scale for women.

You can be high maintenance (Irvin), but you have to be worth it.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Druggies will find a way to get high. I have friends that moved their son in with them so they could try to deter him but it still ended badly. He died of an overdose in their back yard.
Oh I know, a lot of the criminal defense work I do is on drug related cases.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
"Try better" - I guess this means we'll try to not just look for character guys in the first round?
This really isn't a difficult issue. Just don't try to get cute looking for a steal in the 2nd/3rd rounds by taking players you know have had a history of character problems...just like we've been avoiding in the first round.

Jerry acts like he's a risk taker and that's why the Cowboys won SB's. But they didn't win SB by taking dumb risks. Jimmy Johnson may have been a college coach but for one he ran an NFL style team and secondly, he was receiving overtures from several NFL teams, even the 49ers when they were looking to replace Bill Walsh. It's not like Jimmy was some little known low level coach college with no national success. Next was the Herschel trade. But we all know it's only because he was a player Jerry inherited. We've seen over the last 25 years how Jerry gets attached to the players drafted by him and his regime. If Walker had been a jerry draftee that trade would've never happened. And it wasn't a huge risk seeing how he bought a 3-13 team. Not much room to drop much further.

But over the last 25 years he always points to those two decisions, Jimmy and the Walker trade as justification for every retarded decision he has made since then. Sorry but drafting character problem players, hiring HC's who have to learn on the job and paying too much in trades and/or contracts, etc isn't the same as hiring Jimmy or trading Herschel for a boatload of high round picks. It's just dumb decisions by a wanna-be GM who after 25 years is as dumb now as he was back then, but without the successful staff around him to make it work.

Last edited:

5Ringzz

Brand New Member
Its becoming easy for NFL war rooms to project picks to Dallas now...

Just look for drug offenders and slot them to Dallas..

#4 Bosa

#34 Spence

"I'm running for coffee, when those idiots are done picking the next Randy Gregory...let me know so I can get on the phone with Jags... Finish our deal... and take the best player in the draft. Guys... Count your blessings...Thank God for Dallas."

Top Bottom