Archer: Jones assumes Kyle Orton will play

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Jones assumes Kyle Orton will play

February, 23, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

INDIANAPOLIS -- The Dallas Cowboys met with the agent for Kyle Orton during their time at the NFL scouting combine, but they don’t know whether the backup quarterback wants to play in 2014.

“If he plays, we want him to play for the Cowboys,” owner and general manager Jerry Jones said.

Orton, 32, is contemplating retirement and that would play a huge part in how the Cowboys proceed in the offseason, but Jones said the team has not pressed Orton for an answer. Jones said he has not spoken to Orton.

Orton is set to make $3.25 million in 2014 and count $4.37 million against the salary cap. Needing to find as much cap space as possible, the Cowboys could look to restructure Orton’s contract to create room or ask him to take a paycut. If the team releases Orton, then they would save about $1 million in space.

If Orton retires, then he would have to pay back the Cowboys $3 million of the $5 million signing bonus he received in 2012.

Orton came off the bench in the Week 17 finale to the Philadelphia Eagles to throw for 358 yards and two touchdown passes, but a late interception ruined a potential rally and the Cowboys lost 24-22 to finish 8-8 for the third straight season.

“Logic tells me that with the experience we had the last ballgame, with the amount we’re paying him, with the wear and tear that’s involved, from my perspective, I’d take the money,” Jones said.

If Orton does step away or if the Cowboys cut him, then they would have to address the position in free agency or the draft or both. Jason Garrett has kept a higher-priced backup to Tony Romo since arriving as offensive coordinator in 2007 with Brad Johnson, Jon Kitnaor Orton.

Romo, who turns 34 in April, is coming off back surgery but expected to be ready for the offseason program.

“We need a good backup quarterback,” Jones said. “We know that.”

All he is worried about is having a backup QB. Still not one mention of needing a QB for the future.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

All he is worried about is having a backup QB. Still not one mention of needing a QB for the future.

Why would he?

Romo just has had two back surgeries in a year. Nothing to worry about.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hope he retires. Would give some very nice cap relief and could force us to seriously look at younger qb options.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I hope he retires. Would give some very nice cap relief and could force us to seriously look at younger qb options.
If he can walk, Romo is using this shit up.

He cannot be cut and I do not see him walking away from that money.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I have no idea what could be so pressing that it couldn't wait until after his contract is up and he collects another 3.5 million.

He gets to sit on the bench 90% of the time. Its the best job in the world.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Yeah, I can't imagine he'd give back 3 mil with a plush job like backup QB.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have no idea what could be so pressing that it couldn't wait until after his contract is up and he collects another 3.5 million.

He gets to sit on the bench 90% of the time. Its the best job in the world.
I had no idea why he was talking retirement in the first place. Paying back 3 mil is a huge chunk of change for a guy like Orton. Why pay that back when you can ride the bench and make even more money.

data

Forbes #1
Jerruh wants to keep Orton for offensive coordinator next year

Top Bottom