Davison: Morris Claiborne tore a piece of bone off his pelvis, unsure on return

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Morris Claiborne tore a piece of bone off his pelvis, unsure on return

BY DREW DAVISON
ddavison@star-telegram.com

Cornerback Morris Claiborne still doesn’t know the official diagnosis of the injury that knocked him out of the Oct. 30 game against Philadelphia and has sidelined him the last three weeks, but he is feeling better and is hopeful to return at some point.

Claiborne sustained an avulsion fracture, but isn’t sure if it’s a “groin” or “sports hernia,” saying: “I’ve heard different things too. I think the worst part of it is where my pelvis is at, I tore a piece of the bone off the pelvis.

“So it’s something that’s supposed to be able to heal on its own, so that’s where we’re at now.”

Claiborne recently began doing work on resistance cords and is hopeful to start running next week. But it’s a slow process and Claiborne still could need surgery on it at some point.

Claiborne said the plan is to get an MRI exam in a couple weeks and see how it’s progressed up to that point.

“If it don’t heal the way it’s supposed to, then we start looking at options,” Claiborne said. “Right now, it appears to be feeling better.”

Claiborne was in the midst of a breakout season before going down with the injury. He was among the pleasant surprises on defense, but rookie Anthony Brown has filled his void nicely.

But Claiborne is hoping to get back out there “sooner than later.”

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Knowing his injury history, he's done for the year.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
We really need him back this year if for no other reason then we are thin at corner. I really hope he is back at some point. Even if it is only for the playoffs.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Church is more important than Claiborne because Jones is basically a CB in nickel/dime. I'd rather have Brown on the field than Heath, which is what it comes down to when replacing Claiborne and Church.

With that said, I read somewhere that the injury should be 6-8 weeks, so hopefully he can make it back for the playoffs.

Cotton

Staff member
We really need him back this year if for no other reason then we are thin at corner. I really hope he is back at some point. Even if it is only for the playoffs.
I have seen reports that say 2-3 more weeks, so hopefully he is back and up to game speed by the playoffs. Can't even believe I am saying "by the playoffs" with confidence this year. Amazing.

Cotton

Staff member
Morris Claiborne is aiming for late-season return
11:00 AM CT
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

ARLINGTON, Texas – Dallas Cowboys cornerback Morris Claiborne isn’t sure he will be able to return during the regular season because of a groin injury suffered Oct. 30 against the Philadelphia Eagles.

In addition to the groin injury, Claiborne said he broke a piece of his pelvis on the non-contact play. He contemplated surgery after getting hurt but opted to hold off to see if it would heal without the operation.

“I don’t think I’m still out of the dark with [returning in the regular season] because I tore a piece of bone, so it’s supposed to be able to heal,” Claiborne said. “Just the whole time we’ve been giving it time to heal and in a couple of weeks we’ll get another MRI to see how it has come and see what the next step is from there. But I feel like it’s healing pretty good.”

Claiborne said he started doing resistance training last week for the first time, which gives him some hope. The Cowboys have replaced Claiborne in the starting lineup with Orlando Scandrick and used rookie Anthony Brown as the third cornerback.

Claiborne, who will be a free agent when the season ends, was off to the best start of his career. He was credited with 36 tackles by the coaches, with two tackles for loss, an interception, five pass deflections and a fumble recovery.

"I’m still shooting for this season,” Claiborne said. “Whether it’s the next-to-last game, the last game, playoffs, that’s what I’m still shooting for.”

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have seen reports that say 2-3 more weeks, so hopefully he is back and up to game speed by the playoffs. Can't even believe I am saying "by the playoffs" with confidence this year. Amazing.
Yeah pretty crazy really. But now that we are officially over .500 for the 2016 season I think it's fair to start really talking about setting this team up for the playoffs.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I think we need to try and draft and maybe even sign a couple of solid CBs.

Claiborne has played well, but the guy can't stay healthy at all. I'm tired of having key contributors always getting hurt and not being reliable.

If he can be brought back on a decent deal, then fine. But we should still either draft or sign a guy who has the skills to be a starter because we can't keep having to work around all the injuries.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I think we need to try and draft and maybe even sign a couple of solid CBs.

Claiborne has played well, but the guy can't stay healthy at all. I'm tired of having key contributors always getting hurt and not being reliable.

If he can be brought back on a decent deal, then fine. But we should still either draft or sign a guy who has the skills to be a starter because we can't keep having to work around all the injuries.
Scandrick and Brown are already under contract for the next few years, re-sign either Carr or Claiborne to a reasonable deal, add one more with a mid-round pick and we're good to go.

Top Bottom