Williams: Terrance Williams - It’s going to be different than last year

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Terrance Williams: It’s going to be different than last year

BY CHAREAN WILLIAMS
cjwilliams@star-telegram.com

Terrance Williams welcomes the challenge of filling in for Dez Bryant, promising this year won’t be last year when he was cast in the same position.

Williams said he does not look at Bryant’s absence – however long that is – as more pressure on him.

“If you think about it that way, then a lot of bad stuff can happen,” Williams said Thursday. “That’s kind of what I did last year. Now, I’ve got to continue to keep playing the game that I play and keep being the person that coach [Jason] Garrett and coach Scott [Linehan] brought me here for. I can’t say much, but I did learn from the experience that I did have last year. So what I can tell you is it’s going to be different than what you saw from me last year.”

During Bryant’s seven-game absence last season, Cowboys quarterbacks targeted Williams 51 times. He caught 25 passes for 468 yards and two touchdowns. Most of his damage was done in the season finale against the Redskins, who pulled most of their starters in the second half, when he caught eight passes for 173 yards.

Bryant has a hairline fracture of the tibia in his right knee and could miss up to three weeks, according to sources, although the Cowboys have not ruled out their All-Pro receiver this week.

“It’s just one of those things that you’ve got to just be ready to play,” Williams said. “You can’t go into a game talking about it, saying what you’re going to do. This same thing happened last year, and it’s just something now you’ve got to show up and be ready to play. That’s something I’m gearing myself up to do.”

Backup quarterback Dak Prescott has targeted Williams eight times this season. The former Baylor star has seven catches for 122 yards. But he also has a lost fumble, and he failed to get out of bounds to stop the clock on the final play in the season opener against the Giants.

The Cowboys, though, have had Williams’ back, something Williams appreciates. But he wants to atone for his mistakes.

“I just think besides the two major mistakes I had, I think I’ve been doing a good job,” Williams said. “Whenever you have been in this position before, you learn from the mistakes that you did last year, and it’s like now you’ve got to just show up and lead by example rather than just talking about it. You’ve got to just go out there and do it.”

lostxn

DCC 4Life
2 major mistakes in 3 games? No you're not doing a good job douchebag.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Perhaps this should mean more balls for Butler.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Perhaps this should mean more balls for Butler.
I'd like to see that. I really like some of Butlers ability and big play potential. Maybe this will lead to some chunk plays that maybe we have been lacking a little.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I'd like to see that. I really like some of Butlers ability and big play potential. Maybe this will lead to some chunk plays that maybe we have been lacking a little.
The 1 or 2 plays that we have seen?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The 1 or 2 plays that we have seen?
No shit.

Hell, Sam Hurd seemed more promising based on his play than what Butler has shown.

I don't get the reason why he is assumed to be someone to place hope on.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I only mention Butler because Terence Williams is now Dez' replacement. That alone begs me to look around this receiver corps for something, anything in which to hope for a vertical threat of any consistency.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
In certain patterns Williams is a fit enough receiver. His weakness is that he waits for the ball to come to him. He doesn't fight for the ball like Dez on contested passes. He relies too much on his body. On certain routes he doesn't get seperation and this is mostly in the verticals routes. On the crossing routes he does fine and this is his biggest strength.

Top Bottom