Cowboys coaches taking notes and learning from Larry Brown

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Cowboys coaches taking notes and learning from Larry Brown
2/12/2014 2:00:03 PM

Cowboys coach Jason Garrett and SMU coach Larry Brown have become friends since Brown got to Dallas two years ago. On Tuesday, Garrett brought most of his coaching staff to watch an SMU practice and pick the brain of Brown, the Dallas Morning News reports.

"You just got to talk to him and have a conversation with him and take good mental notes," Garrett told WFAA, "because when you go home, you're going to take a lot of notes and remember what he was talking about, because it's really valuable stuff."

Garrett attended an SMU practice last year. He and Tony Romo also saw the Mustangs beat up on Temple last Thursday.

What did Brown say to the Cowboys?

"You don't always have all the guys that you want," Brown explained, "so the most important thing is: Teach 'em up and make 'em better."

Said Garrett: "He was out here for a couple hours and we watched him. And that was our comment — he's working the whole time coaching every minute, coaching all the players, all parts of the game."
----------------------

Embarassing.​

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Scrawled in Garrett's notebook: Can't always get the players. Battle. Coach up what you got, make them better. ERROR 404 PAGE NOT FOUND

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Garrett with his little notebook.

Monte looks like he'd rather be taking a nap than watching a useless basketball practice.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Embarassing.

It is.

I mean, I get that he wants to learn from some of the good coaches in various sports, but c'mon already.....he's been on this job going on 4 and half seasons now.

If you haven't formed your own (dare I say) process and identity by now, then you obviously don't know WTF you're doing.

I think we all know that Garrett doesn't have a clue, but I just don't know how he isn't embarrassed by all this coach studying and mentoring, etc.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I think we all know that Garrett doesn't have a clue, but I just don't know how he isn't embarrassed by all this coach studying and mentoring, etc.
If you were in a head coach trainee program, you'd probably be doing the same shit he is.

The embarrassing part is the fact he is still employed and he actually thinks this is going to help this team win more football games.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
If you were in a head coach trainee program, you'd probably be doing the same shit he is.

The embarrassing part is the fact he is still employed and he actually thinks this is going to help this team win more football games.
How many times has he done this already?

Wasn't last year or the year before Coach K from Duke?

It's just silly now.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
How many times has he done this already?

Wasn't last year or the year before Coach K from Duke?

It's just silly now.
I am sure he read John Wooden's book on leadership again last week.

Eventually it's all going to pay off. You'll see.

Bob Roberts

Professor StinkFinger
"See, what you guys want to do is constantly leave every job you've had for a better one. Trust me, the grass really is greener on the other side! Hell, I'm quitting this job as I'm talking right now"

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
"See, what you guys want to do is constantly leave every job you've had for a better one. Trust me, the grass really is greener on the other side! Hell, I'm quitting this job as I'm talking right now"
:lol

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Nice to see ginger keeping up his training. Seriously though Jerry has to be trolling us keeping this joke as HC right? Right??

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Nice to see ginger keeping up his training. Seriously though Jerry has to be trolling us keeping this joke as HC right? Right??
Jerry can see what is being built here.

Why can't you?

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I love Larry Brown. Is an all-time great coach. It's a shame it won't make a difference for Garrett.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Garrett lacks the deep understanding of football that Larry Brown has for basketball. Watch all you want, Jason, it's not going to help you get more out of Ben Bass. Not unless you've suddenly become this great motivator of men.

Garrett says practice is important and then plays DeMarcus Ware when he hasn't practiced. That means everything he says is probably bullshit.

Garrett and Pete Carroll both say no player is more important than the team, but Pete Carroll isn't lying when he says it. He threw Matt Flynn to the curb and started a rookie. Jerry Jones would have slapped Garrett in the mouth with his dick if he benched anyone with an overpaid Jones contract.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I am sure he read John Wooden's book on leadership again last week.

Eventually it's all going to pay off. You'll see.
He should have Bobby Knight come round with some pointers for communicating with players. That'd be very entertaining.

Top Bottom