Sturm Morning After

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
I soo wanted to throw shit every time I saw Dunbar on the field, especially down the stretch... you don't draft a phenom at #5 and then take him off the field at the absolute most important time of the game!

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Hell, I'd go as far as saying it's borderline coaching malpractice.
With all the hysteria about Prescott, that is ignored. All the kudos they got for him has made them Teflon and now Prescott sucks?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Was Swaim that damn important to the run game? There has been a noticeable dip since his injury.

Last edited:

data

Forbes #1
Speaking of which, no Escobust sighting on Sunday Night for me. Did he play on offense?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
It seems to me that they're trying to replace Swaim with an extra lineman (Looney) but that telegraph's run. If this coaching staff is so god damned idiotic that they can't figure out a way to replace a blocking number 2 TE then they should be fired.

dallen

Senior Tech
Was Swaim that damn important to the run game? There has been a noticeable dip since his injury.
I think we'd be ok if Hanna had come back. I think it is more that Escobar is just a terrible blocker. There has to be someone out there who would be an upgrade as a blocking TE. Matt Spaeth got cut injured by the Steelers in the preseason. It'd be worth bringing him in for a physical if nothing else. Alex Smith is 35 but we don't have a lot of games left. Something

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I think we'd be ok if Hanna had come back. I think it is more that Escobar is just a terrible blocker. There has to be someone out there who would be an upgrade as a blocking TE. Matt Spaeth got cut injured by the Steelers in the preseason. It'd be worth bringing him in for a physical if nothing else. Alex Smith is 35 but we don't have a lot of games left. Something
The running game doesn't seem to be a problem. The passing game doesn't seem to be as much a matter of protecting the QB as it has been the QB receiver hook up.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The running game doesn't seem to be a problem. The passing game doesn't seem to be as much a matter of protecting the QB as it has been the QB receiver hook up.
Yeah having a TE who can catch a ball on the field might open things up over Looney FFS.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Yeah having a TE who can catch a ball on the field might open things up over Looney FFS.
That's bad scheming. Conversely he was in only for the running game for the most part when he was used.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Part of the problem is the formations we use. I think Sturm said we were really only successful running the football against the giants out of the shotgun.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Part of the problem is the formations we use. I think Sturm said we were really only successful running the football against the giants out of the shotgun.
So they basically made the EXACT same mistake they made vs the Giants in week 1?

Just when you want to like this staff, they always remind you that they're gonna have a game here and there where they look like idiots.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's bad scheming. Conversely he was in only for the running game for the most part when he was used.
I'm not so sure. I specifically remember a passing play with Looney at TE where people on here were bitching that we had to do it because Free was so terrible at RT. Anyway Looney got his ass beat and we either gave up the sack or Dak had no time to throw the ball. The defense didn't even have to worry about devoting a defender to cover Looney on that pass play. If you have someone else in there it at least forces the defense to respect that TE's ability to go make a play.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I do think the fact that Dez slipped, causing an INT, and then fumbled without the defender even hitting the ball are indicators that the focus just wasn't there. The same can be said for most of the receivers, as well as Prescott though.

No matter what lip service these players give to "one day at a time, focus on the next game", blah, blah, blah, when you win 11 in a row, especially when you're led by rookies and just won a game that you probably deserved to lose, complacency is going to set in.
The focus definitely wasn't there for two straight games now. We dodged a bullet in Minny but not even three Giants turnovers could save us from ourselves this time.

Now we'll see what this team is made of and how they respond to some adversity, especially here in December.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The focus definitely wasn't there for two straight games now. We dodged a bullet in Minny but not even three Giants turnovers could save us from ourselves this time.

Now we'll see what this team is made of and how they respond to some adversity, especially here in December.
I agree.

It is not just a Prescott thing. The wins have been team to this point, offense usually bailing out the defense.

Now the defense seems to have bought a clue and suddenly the offense can't function.

That is a coaching issue.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
That is a coaching issue.
It's hard to diagnose. Superbowl winning teams usually improve througout the year and get hot at the end of the season.

The early season playcalling greatly helped Dak grow into his current role, but maybe there's only so much a kid can grow and learn in a span of 4 months.

The running game has overcome the loss of blocking TE's and if anything the OL is run-blocking even better than before. Their blitz pickup vs NY was outstanding. Terrance Williams' run blocking continues to surprise me.

But the WR's are getting neglected in the passing game, and it's very hard to grow as a pass offense if you can't build on consistent success catching the football.

Even the greatest WR's get the dropsies from being cold when they are catching their second pass at the end of the game.

Zeke is also not growing as a receiver because Dunbar comes in as a backfield receiver and doesn't get open.

They've lost their passing identity. It started with Beasley, and maybe it's time to get back to loosening up the defense by going to Cole early. Our offensive stats are bass-ackwards.

Beasley should get catches, but not be leading the team with 64 catches. Dez only having 38 catches is a total fail on the coaches, the QB, and Dez.

Top Bottom