With Playoff Spot Secured Should Romo Play Now?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
IMO you are overestimating Romo's chances of getting to and winning the Super Bowl at this point in his career, having played in 4 games the past two years. Sure he has the experience factor that would give him a leg up on Prescott but he also has a track record of coming up short. I disagree that it is "plain and simple", in your words, that Romo gives them the best chance. He might, but to say it is plain and simple is essentially stating it as fact, which it is not?

I think letting the chips fall with Dak is the right play. If he fails in the playoffs then next year when Romo is no longer on the team you have a QB in Prescott who led his team to the playoffs as a rookie and who will have gained some playoff experience. If you stick Romo back in there and he does anything but win the Super Bowl then you are left with nothing more than "Well, once again a Romo-led team failed to get it done" and a franchise and fanbase—and possibly a significant portion of the team—left wondering "What if they just let it ride with Dak?". Obviously if Romo never gets a chance there will be the "What if they would have put Romo in there?" narrative, but we have had 10 years of Romo and nothing of significance to show for it.

As you said, glad it is not my decision because short of the Cowboys winning the Super Bowl whatever decision the organization makes is going to be second-guessed and heavily scrutinized.
We will just have to disagree about the experience factor. I believe it is evident that experience has an edge over inexperience.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Read again. I stated nothing as fact. I said Romo is a "might" take all option. Where is the "plain and simple" part that I was supposed to have said in the quote you responded to? I said that regarding getting through the rest of the season. I think it's evident via experience.
My bad on that part. I did misread thinking you said postseason. I agree with your assessment that Romo is "might be a take it all option" but I think I would not have as large a gap between his odds and Dak's as you, hence my stance that they should ride it out with the guy who brought them to the playoffs and will be the guy to hopefully do it again in the coming seasons.

Last edited:

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
We will just have to disagree about the experience factor. I believe it is evident that experience has an edge over inexperience.
I am not disagreeing with that on its face. I just don't know what 2016 Romo is going to look like after missing what amounts to pretty much two seasons worth of football. His experience may not be enough is what I am suggesting. He also has a track record of coming up short, and that is when he was younger, healthier, and in the flow of playing games all season. So my opinion is to ride the guy who got them there and let him gain valuable postseason experience since he is going to be the one leading them back there (hopefully) for the next few seasons.

Again though, glad I am not the one making the decision because there is a legit case for both sides. They have made their bed though and I agree with the decision they made.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Dallas is going to blow their chances this year just to try to prove a point. It is starting to show now. Their best chance to get through the preseason is Romo. Plain and simple.
IMO you are overestimating Romo's chances of getting to and winning the Super Bowl at this point in his career, having played in 4 games the past two years. Sure he has the experience factor that would give him a leg up on Prescott but he also has a track record of coming up short. I disagree that it is "plain and simple", in your words, that Romo gives them the best chance. He might, but to say it is plain and simple is essentially stating it as fact, which it is not.

I think letting the chips fall with Dak is the right play. If he fails in the playoffs then next year when Romo is no longer on the team you have a QB in Prescott who led his team to the playoffs as a rookie and who will have gained some playoff experience. If you stick Romo back in there and he does anything but win the Super Bowl then you are left with nothing more than "Well, once again a Romo-led team failed to get it done" and a franchise and fanbase—and possibly a significant portion of the team—left wondering "What if they just let it ride with Dak?". Obviously if Romo never gets a chance there will be the "What if they would have put Romo in there?" narrative, but we have had 10 years of Romo and nothing of significance to show for it.

As you said, glad it is not my decision because short of the Cowboys winning the Super Bowl whatever decision the organization makes is going to be second-guessed and heavily scrutinized.
Read again. I stated nothing as fact. I said Romo is a "might" take all option. Where is the "plain and simple" part that I was supposed to have said in the quote you responded to? I said that regarding getting through the rest of the season. I think it's evident via experience.
I think ED was talking about your previous post, not the one he quoted...

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I think ED was talking about your previous post, not the one he quoted...
It was two different posts. They were combined in E.D.s response. I don't deny saying both. They just were about different contexts.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I don't think you can do that. Part of the folly of sticking with Dak once Romo got healthy is they now have to navigate developing a young QB while simultaneously trying to win a championship. You can't just yank him for poor performance and risk damaging his psyche and confidence. He has to be so bad it forces our hand.
No, the team always comes first. That's what we've been told all along regarding Romo.

The Hell with damaging someone's sensitive vagina.

That said, you don't yank Dak now.

You just shorten his leash.

If he remains ineffective, then play Romo.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
No, the team always comes first. That's what we've been told all along regarding Romo.

Of course it's team first. But the franchise doesn't end when this season ends, we're going to need a QB for the next 10 or 15 years. You can't yank him around now.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
And btw I don't think Dak has a sensitive vagina, and it's pretty silly to equate paying attention to his confidence level with that.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Of course it's team first. But the franchise doesn't end when this season ends, we're going to need a QB for the next 10 or 15 years. You can't yank him around now.
That's probably true. It's a precarious deal. The only way it turns out well would be if Romo won a SB and immediately retired. As it stands now that is a pipe dream.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
First off, I'm not saying yank him at all.

Tough divisional game in bad weather and if Butler holds on all of this talk is academic.

You do yank him though if we continue to stagnate and struggle offensively and Dak can't play out of it.

This year is too important, psyches be damned.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

You yank Dak and put Romo in then you sacrifice everything this team has worked for this season. It would throw this entire team into a tailspin.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
You yank Dak and put Romo in then you sacrifice everything this team has worked for this season. It would throw this entire team into a tailspin.
Read the post immediately prior to yours.

And no, you don't sacrifice shit. You've actually built quite a lot, irrespective of what happens from this point forwards.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Read the post immediately prior to yours.

And no, you don't sacrifice shit. You've actually built quite a lot, irrespective of what happens from this point forwards.
Sure throw Romo in. Then when he sucks throw Dak back in. And hey, maybe if he struggles throw Romo back in again. The rest of the team will have a major rift.

So yeah, it would destroy the chemistry we have built this year.

Jiggyfly

Banned
First off, I'm not saying yank him at all.

Tough divisional game in bad weather and if Butler holds on all of this talk is academic.

You do yank him though if we continue to stagnate and struggle offensively and Dak can't play out of it.

This year is too important, psyches be damned.
I forgot about that Butler play, that was a huge drop in the scheme of things.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Sure throw Romo in. Then when he sucks throw Dak back in. And hey, maybe if he struggles throw Romo back in again. The rest of the team will have a major rift.

So yeah, it would destroy the chemistry we have built this year.
That's a fascinatingly bizarre scenario you just made up. It's not about Dak or Romo but the QB position itself. This is no time for a QB performance crisis, period.

We have maybe one game of leeway left, and that's supposed to be the throwaway in Philly.

Dak has to climb this rookie wall he's hit and get his shit straight. Now.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
We can always do what Landry did.

Rotate QBs.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's a fascinatingly bizarre scenario you just made up. It's not about Dak or Romo but the QB position itself. This is no time for a QB performance crisis, period.

We have maybe one game of leeway left, and that's supposed to be the throwaway in Philly.

Dak has to climb this rookie wall he's hit and get his shit straight. Now.
You don't start a QB carousel with the best record in football. Once you step into the relm of one or two bad games gets you benched you set a very scary precedent for the team.

It's amazing how Dak has changed the expectations of this team to the point where they now want to throw him away if he can't clinch homefield throughout. Fascinating really.

Top Bottom