Nick Saban praises Rolando McClain; Rod Marinelli says Cowboys rally around standout

Jiggyfly

Banned
Nick Saban praises Rolando McClain; Rod Marinelli says Cowboys rally around standout LB
By Jon Machota jmachota@dallasnews.com
5:01 pm on October 16, 2014 | Permalink

Cowboys defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli said Thursday that he’s not concerned about one of the team’s top playmakers missing two practices. McClain has missed practices throughout the last three weeks because of a groin injury.

“He’ll be great,” Marinelli said. “He’ll come in and get his walk-throughs and he’ll be locked in.”

McClain has emerged as one of the Cowboys’ most valuable players in his short time with the club. He currently leads Dallas with 43 total tackles, four QB pressures, two interceptions, a forced fumble and a sack, according to the team’s coaching stats.

“How he hits and how he plays, that’s how we want him to play,” Marinelli said. “I just think he leads with his play. He’s got rare ability. He is really a terrific leader in his own way. Guys seem to rally around a guy like that, physical presence. He hits. He runs. He likes to practice. He practices hard. He leads by what he does.”

Likely seeing many of those same traits while coaching McClain at Alabama, Nick Saban vouched for the linebacker when the Cowboys were exploring ways to replace an injured Sean Lee.

Saban was asked about McClain’s personal growth during a Wednesday conference call.

“Ro’s always been a guy that I’ve had a lot of respect for,” Saban said. “He was a great leader here and a great player here, a very mature guy. But again, some things sometimes take priority. Before you can really focus on what you’re trying to do as a football player, you have to get those things right in your life.

“I think he has, and I’m happy to see that he’s having a good year and the Cowboys are doing well.”

According to Pro Football Focus, McClain is the Cowboys’ top graded defender and the NFL’s third-highest graded inside linebacker, trailing only Carolina’s Luke Kuechly and Seattle’s Bobby Wagner.

“When you really love what you’re doing it just oozes out of you,” Marinelli said. “It’s contagious to everybody else. That’s the best type of leadership. You don’t need all the talking. If he needs to talk, he says something. Strong. But mostly it’s about how he plays.

“Just watch the tape.”

DontCryWolfe

DCC 4Life
F'n nuts. It still is not lost on me, that a twice retired 26 year old MLB nutcase has been able to come in and do what he's done, and make the plays that he has for us.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
There's a reason he was drafted in the top 10.

Guy is a beast when focused.

We need to determine if he can stay focused, and if so, sign him to an extension.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Dallas has gotten incredibly lucky with this guy. It's been like receiving a bonus high draft pick.

I just hope this family business he just dealt with doesn't send him down a dark path again. I hope he takes the blessing of playing in the NFL for what it is and remains a Cowboy for the duration.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
F'n nuts. It still is not lost on me, that a twice retired 26 year old MLB nutcase has been able to come in and do what he's done, and make the plays that he has for us.
No doubt. Crazy Eyes has been a revelation.

Top Bottom