Music Thread...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just had to post this because it is such a ridiculous video. Also the young girls will be getting real crazy to this song this summer.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
While catching up on this thread, had a thought based on the sentiment of Johnny Cash's cover of Hurt. What other covers were as good as or better than the original.

Just off the top of my head I'd say:

Cream/Clapton's - Cross Road Blues
Hendrix - All Along the Watchtower

Others?
Pantera - Planet Caravan (Sabbath)
Jeff Tweedy - Simple Twist of Fate (Dylan)

And NoDak will disagree, but:

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
While catching up on this thread, had a thought based on the sentiment of Johnny Cash's cover of Hurt. What other covers were as good as or better than the original.

Just off the top of my head I'd say:

Cream/Clapton's - Cross Road Blues
Hendrix - All Along the Watchtower

Others?
I'll stop short of saying these three melancholy songs are better than the originals but all are very good.

Blaze Foley cover

Decemberists cover

Hank Williams cover

Last edited:

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Nice presentation and really good vocals but it would take me a while to get used to the organ doing Willie's guitar. The guitar was almost joining Willie's vocals in his rendition. It was one of Nelsons finest deliveries in my opinion and the song just can't be executed with less than 100% effort. (Angel Flying Too Close )

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
The term cover is getting tossed around a lot and I understand what is trying to be conveyed but at the risk of sounding pious this link will more accurately describe the term. http://ask.metafilter.com/11636/Why-is-a-cover-song-called-a-cover-song
I've heard the story of its origins before. Pat Boone was the big example they were using in the article I read because he made a living 'covering' R & B songs for the white audiences in the 50s/60s. Obviously the term has evolved and is now much more general and just refers to an artist covering a previously recorded song from another artist.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I've heard the story of its origins before. Pat Boone was the big example they were using in the article I read because he made a living 'covering' R & B songs for the white audiences in the 50s/60s. Obviously the term has evolved and is now much more general and just refers to an artist covering a previously recorded song from another artist.
We used to call those a "redo" or " New cut".

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
The new meaning has become so universal the term basically has a modern meaning and a historical meaning.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Actually Pat Boone didn't do much rock or rhythm and blues. He started with a few but his mainstays were the "April Love" and "Love Letters In The Sand" types. His father in law was a well established Country star and he paved the way for Boone. His name was Red Foley.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
They recently put together a new Michael Jackson album (Xscape). It's of songs he did years ago but never released. It's actually pretty good.

Here are two of my favorites. You've probably heard snippets of "Love Never Felt so Good" from the current Jeeps ads that are running.

Last edited:

Carl

RIP Brother
The writer of this, Gerry Goffin passed away today...great song, great lyrics.

Carl

RIP Brother
I'll stop short of saying these three melancholy songs are better than the originals but all are very good.

Blaze Foley cover

Decemberists cover

Hank Williams cover
E_D, not calling you out, but I have a real issue with a song about the Shankill Butchers. Does not sit right.

Top Bottom