Romo out for rest of season, per Schefter, per "league source"

Carp

DCC 4Life
Well...it sucks, but the D will step up.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch

I'm really starting to dislike this guy.
Why, what's wrong with that statement? Isn't that why you'd pay good money for a backup? To give yourself a chance to win a game like this if your starter goes down?

p1_

DCC 4Life
Well, this is one way to make Garrett and Callahan run the ball.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I reallh hope he plays though...it'd be a chance to do something inspiring.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Orton has had some big games though...although we should rely on Murray even more.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I reallh hope he plays though...it'd be a chance to do something inspiring.
Did that final drive do nothing for you?

Last edited:

Carp

DCC 4Life
Sure makes his game look better yesterday.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Don't start that in here. The play that reportedly caused this injury happened after at least half the times he could have run.
He was hurt before the game...so start in here LT.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Sabin: Why Cowboys' Kyle Orton isn't your typical backup quarterback

RAINER SABIN

Staff Writer

rsabin@dallasnews.com

IRVING — Kyle Orton doesn’t fit the profile of a backup quarterback. He’s neither an aging veteran inching closer toward retirement nor an inexperienced player awaiting his chance to shine. At 29, he is entering the prime of his career, that period in an athlete’s life when he is more marketable than he has been or ever will be.

So, it only seemed natural that Orton would try to join a team in need of a full-time quarterback when he became eligible to sign with any club in March. Instead, on the second day of free agency, he came to terms with Dallas, a team that already had someone who not only had that role but was entrenched in it.

Orton agreed to a three-year, $10.5 million contract with the Cowboys, knowing that he would be the understudy of Tony Romo, who has started only eight more games than he has. He did so despite the fact that he has a better career efficiency rating than 14 of the 34 NFL quarterbacks who threw 224 or more passes last season. But why?

“I thought a lot about it,” he said. “This was definitely the right situation for me at this time in my career.”

The Cowboys were thrilled he reached that conclusion. When Orton’s predecessor, Jon Kitna, was sidelined last fall because of a back injury that ultimately led to his retirement, Cowboys executives began the search for an experienced player who could capably direct the offense in the event that Romo was hurt. They were immediately drawn to Orton, so much so that when he was waived by Denver in November, the Cowboys attempted to claim him.

‘Top of our list’

Although Kansas City won the rights to Orton, the Cowboys’ interest never wavered.

“We rated all the free-agent quarterbacks,” quarterbacks coach Wade Wilson said, “and he was at the top of our list.”

But while the Cowboys’ desire to land Orton was understandable, it wasn’t as easy to grasp why Orton would want to be a backup in Dallas after going 35-34 as an NFL starter. It seemed especially difficult to comprehend considering that Orton’s father, Byron, said, “Kyle is very competitive and there is no question about that.”

But as he assessed his options during the off-season, Orton became increasingly impressed with the Cowboys and what they were selling.

“We tried to tell him what we’re all about,” Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said.

Orton responded positively to the Cowboys’ pitch, in part because he received Kitna’s endorsement and liked the idea of being reunited with Wilson, who supervised Orton in Chicago at the dawn of his career. There was also something else that the Cowboys offered him that was particularly attractive.

“A defined role,” Wilson said.

Benched for Tebow

Toward the end of his 964-day tenure in Denver, Orton had lost that. The man who won his first six starts with the Broncos was relegated to the bench during the heralded rise of Tim Tebow. And the tidal wave of support for the evangelical quarterback — a phenomenon known as Tebowmania — eventually crushed Orton, spurring his release from the team.

Orton and his father don’t seem too eager to reflect on that awkward episode, but it appears to have hardened him.

“I have seen a lot of stuff on the football field,” Orton said. “I can certainly fall back on my experience and try to use that.”

He already has. Orton’s familiarity with offensive schemes that resemble the ones the Cowboys employ has eased his transition — one that will continue during the team’s mini-camp that begins Tuesday. In short order, Orton has developed a strong working relationship with Romo, provided his unique perspective in quarterback meetings and won over the coaches. After watching Orton go through the team’s last practice during organized team activities, Wilson remarked, “To have someone young, but has that much experience that’s been in a lot of games and a lot of situations, that’s a reassuring feeling.”

And to know the exact role he is expected to fill is equally as comforting for Orton.

Orton may not fit the profile of a backup. But with the Cowboys, he’s happy to be one.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I don't know how we win, had doubts with Romo, but this looks as bad as can be. Although, this team really could play the type we have wanted...Murray with about 30 carries.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Your options for backup:

The Dallas Cowboys will sign a third quarterback this week, head coach Jason Garrett said Monday.

Garrett gave the news in the midst of a report that Tony Romo is out for the season.

The Cowboys had a third quarterback behind backup Kyle Orton in Alex Tanney. But the Cleveland Browns signed Tanney to their active roster from the Cowboys’ practice squad a few weeks ago.

Tanney caught the imagination of the Cowboys’ fans during training camp and Dallas kept him on its practice squad this season as a way to develop the quarterback for the future. However, Cleveland has an immediate need for a quarterback and plucked him off the Cowboys’ practice squad.

According to thesidelineview.com, here are some quarterbacks available as of Dec. 19.

Quarterback
Vince Young
John Skelton
Matt Leinart
Tyler Thigpen
Byron Leftwich
David Carr
Caleb Hanie
Tim Tebow
Trent Edwards
Charlie Batch
John Beck
Mike Kafka
JaMarcus Russell
Graham Harrell
B.J. Coleman
Pat White
Nathan Enderle
John Parker Wilson
Levi Brown
Jerrod Johnson

Jazz anyone??

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Garrett now saying no determination has been made yet. Mind games from an android rarely works.
This team has been notorious about being just plain wrong in practically every injury diagnosis.

From Ratliff to Spencer on down.

I don't trust a damn thing any of them say.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I just think Hanie played in something similiar with Chicago.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
We could always sign Left-O-Which and make Bipo finally get his wish come true.

Top Bottom