2013 College Football chatter....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I'm out of the loop on this. Why is Mack Brown resigning? Just cause they suck?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I'm out of the loop on this. Why is Mack Brown resigning? Just cause they suck?
He is more than likely being given the option to resign in lieu of getting fired.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I wouldn't say Brown sucks. He has a record that 90% of everyone who has ever coached college football would love to have. He just happens to coach at an institution where continual national prominence is required and in a conference that has above average competition. The appetite of U of Texas fans cannot be satisfied with good. Only annual excellence is acceptable. But I will say it again. Mack Brown does not suck.

Cotton

Staff member
Mack Brown's attorney calls people behind rumors "screaming idiots"

Posted: Dec 11, 2013 4:23 PM CST
Updated: Dec 11, 2013 6:19 PM CST
By Adam Wright - bio | email

BEAUMONT -
The attorney for University of Texas head football coach Mack Brown was in Beaumont Wednesday, and he spoke to 12News regarding recent rumors that Brown will soon resign his position.

"He'll make that decision when the time comes, when he thinks it's best for the university," Joe Jamail told 12News. "And he's not going to be rushed into it by these screaming idiots who get on the Internet... anonymous, not brave enough to even name themselves."

Earlier this week the web site orangebloods.com, citing two unidentified sources, reported that Brown will announce he is stepping down by the end of the week.

"The reports are wrong, he has not tendered his resignation, he's not made a decision yet, he'll make that decision sometime soon," said Jamail.

Jamail was at the Jefferson County Courthouse for an unrelated trial when we caught up with him. When asked if he has an idea as to what decision Brown will make, Jamail said, "I'm not a fortune teller."

In 16 seasons at UT, Brown has gone 158-47, and capped off the 2005 season with a national championship victory, but the team has failed to meet expectations over the past 4 seasons.

"You know he brought us from nothing to where we are," said Jamail. "He's the top winningest coach active in America today. He's number 10 in the all-time history of winning coaches. Now tell me who you think can replace him?"

Jamail said Brown's main focus is football and that he is currently in Miami, Florida on a recruitment trip.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Mack Brown's attorney calls people behind rumors "screaming idiots"

Posted: Dec 11, 2013 4:23 PM CST
Updated: Dec 11, 2013 6:19 PM CST
By Adam Wright - bio | email

BEAUMONT -
The attorney for University of Texas head football coach Mack Brown was in Beaumont Wednesday, and he spoke to 12News regarding recent rumors that Brown will soon resign his position.

"He'll make that decision when the time comes, when he thinks it's best for the university," Joe Jamail told 12News. "And he's not going to be rushed into it by these screaming idiots who get on the Internet... anonymous, not brave enough to even name themselves."

Earlier this week the web site orangebloods.com, citing two unidentified sources, reported that Brown will announce he is stepping down by the end of the week.

"The reports are wrong, he has not tendered his resignation, he's not made a decision yet, he'll make that decision sometime soon," said Jamail.

Jamail was at the Jefferson County Courthouse for an unrelated trial when we caught up with him. When asked if he has an idea as to what decision Brown will make, Jamail said, "I'm not a fortune teller."

In 16 seasons at UT, Brown has gone 158-47, and capped off the 2005 season with a national championship victory, but the team has failed to meet expectations over the past 4 seasons.

"You know he brought us from nothing to where we are," said Jamail. "He's the top winningest coach active in America today. He's number 10 in the all-time history of winning coaches. Now tell me who you think can replace him?"

Jamail said Brown's main focus is football and that he is currently in Miami, Florida on a recruitment trip.
Believe I said the same thing in my post above with considerable more brevity.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wouldn't say Brown sucks. He has a record that 90% of everyone who has ever coached college football would love to have. He just happens to coach at an institution where continual national prominence is required and in a conference that has above average competition. The appetite of U of Texas fans cannot be satisfied with good. Only annual excellence is acceptable. But I will say it again. Mack Brown does not suck.
That's true. Texas fans expect annual dominance like Alabama right now. 8 and 9 win seasons just won't cut it for Texas fans. Especially if it has been a while since the last 10 win season.

Cotton

Staff member
Rumors bouncing around that Texas might be interested in Jim Harbaugh.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Power conferences seek*autonomy

NEW YORK -- The five power conferences of college sports want more flexibility in providing financial support to athletes.

A major reason they lack that freedom in the first place is other NCAA members have feared widening the wealthiest programs' competitive advantage.

Now NCAA president Mark Emmert and the leaders of those behemoth leagues must convince schools with fewer resources that giving the power conferences greater autonomy is in the best interest of college athletics.

"What's really hard in these kinds of things is for people to vote themselves less political authority," Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany said Wednesday. "They don't do that. That's not a natural thing to do."

Everybody seems to understand what the high-budget schools need, and there's an increasing recognition of what the small-budget schools need. I think they're going to wind up in a pretty amicable place without anybody having to do threats or innuendos.

-- NCAA president Mark Emmert
NCAA leaders are exploring ways to alter their governing structure, which would allow the schools that can afford it to pay for certain expenses currently prohibited. That includes offering stipends for the costs of attending school not covered by scholarships.

Emmert told reporters at the Intercollegiate Athletics Forum that members are "cautiously optimistic" an acceptable plan can be devised. Then again, he was confident two years ago that a Division I-wide stipend proposal would be approved. Instead, it stalled -- partly because programs with less money worried it would force them to choose between unaffordable costs and falling further behind their richer rivals.

There are 340 schools in Division I, and only 120 of them are in the Football Bowl Subdivision. Just 65 will be in the five power conferences.

As commissioner of the Sun Belt, Karl Benson leads an FBS league that lacks an automatic BCS bid. He supports greater autonomy for those five as long as there's proper oversight and believes a change will come, though it won't be very dramatic.

The non-FBS conferences "have mobilized, and rightfully so," Benson said. "I think everyone wants to protect their turf and wants to protect their future."

Delany acknowledged that he and his counterparts don't have many concessions to offer the other members to entice them to approve a change that clearly bolsters those five leagues. But the tribulations that have recently roiled college sports may mean this time really is different. From the botched investigation of Miami to lawsuits seeking compensation for athletes, "we got to a tipping point last year," Delany said.

When critics rip universities for spending lavishly on coaching salaries, locker rooms and facilities while athletes struggle to pay for basic expenses, Delany says they're thinking of his league and the Atlantic Coast Conference, Big 12, Pacific-12 and Southeastern Conference. The time has come for those five to address such shortcomings, Delany said. He argues that the solution benefits all NCAA members.

"If we're not healthy, it doesn't help them at all," he said after appearing on a panel with his four fellow commissioners at the forum. "When we're criticized, they're implicitly criticized."

But the greatest leverage may come from what could happen if the power conferences don't get their way. While their leaders currently express support for staying in NCAA Division I, there's always a possibility that they could try to break away unless they gain more autonomy.

"If we can do that, I think we can stay together," Delany said. "If we can't do that, I think we have to honestly say, 'Hey, we not only have external threats, we have internal threats.' And the internal threats are that we can't find a way to use the NCAA as a town hall for us to solve our problems."

For now, Emmert said, the conversations among school presidents have been "collegial."

"Everybody seems to understand what the high-budget schools need, and there's an increasing recognition of what the small-budget schools need," he said. "I think they're going to wind up in a pretty amicable place without anybody having to do threats or innuendos."

Conference USA commissioner Britton Banowsky agreed that "I think you're seeing more alignment than we've had in a long, long time."

The challenge is converting support for broad ideas into votes for details. The NCAA hopes to present proposals to members at its convention next month. Emmert joked that reporters there would get to "watch the sausage being made."

"It will be like all democratic processes -- clumsy," he said.

Cotton

Staff member
Bouncing around where, the TT transportation office?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Thanks for the post but has it even been resolved that Brown is leaving?

Cotton

Staff member
Thanks for the post but has it even been resolved that Brown is leaving?
Not yet. His lawyer said just yesterday that he hadn't made up his mind yet.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

looks like Saban isnt going anywhere

edit:tried to embed tweet but guess I'm doing something wrong

User Actions
Follow

Kirk HerbstreitVerified account
‏@KirkHerbstreit
Breaking News....Nick Saban has agreed to a multi year contract extension to STAY at Alabama! Details to come out soon!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom