Cowboys say they turned down trade offers for McFadden, Morris

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
If we could've gotten anything of value in return I'd have been for it. But I doubt we'd have received more than a 6th or 7th so I'm fine with having all three.
What about the, other back that was drafted. Does he have an upside over anyone or was the organization just playing checkers?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If we could've gotten anything of value in return I'd have been for it. But I doubt we'd have received more than a 6th or 7th so I'm fine with having all three.
Some people on here are as bad as Jerry Jones. Won't trade Leary if we don't get a fourth. Won't trade Mcfadden for a sixth. Take the pick over holding on to a backup for one year, especially when it's a position of great depth.

And I think you may be able to get a fifth for McFadden.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Some people on here are as bad as Jerry Jones. Won't trade Leary if we don't get a fourth. Won't trade Mcfadden for a sixth. Take the pick over holding on to a backup for one year, especially when it's a position of great depth.

And I think you may be able to get a fifth for McFadden.
And some people overvalue 5th and 6th round picks.

There is something to be said for having quality depth, especially when it's cheap.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I'm not opposed to trading one of them...but not upset we didn't either if it was just a 6th or 7th. That said, if we had made a trade I would've traded McFadden since I don't think he'll be here next year. We should be good with Zeke and Morris and hopefully Darius Jackson will amount to something.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
And some people overvalue 5th and 6th round picks.

There is something to be said for having quality depth, especially when it's cheap.
Fifth and sixth round picks can be used to move up to get players you really want in the second, third and fourth round. Instead of missing out on guys that we want because we don't have enough ammunition to move up.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
What about the, other back that was drafted. Does he have an upside over anyone or was the organization just playing checkers?
He's a scat back similar to Dunbar. Very quick. I think they will be able to utilize him.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He's a scat back similar to Dunbar. Very quick. I think they will be able to utilize him.
You think Darius Jackson, a 6' 220 pound RB, is like Dunbar? I don't know about that. He is a pretty natural receiver but I'd put him more in the 3 down back category assuming he can pick up a blitz or at least learn how to. If he shows anything it would make sense to keep him as the third back.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
You think Darius Jackson, a 6' 220 pound RB, is like Dunbar? I don't know about that. He is a pretty natural receiver but I'd put him more in the 3 down back category assuming he can pick up a blitz or at least learn how to. If he shows anything it would make sense to keep him as the third back.
I said similar. He is good in open spaces, and has good catching skills and acceleration. And, he's fast. So, yeah, I'd say he's similar.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Because he is the only capable backup who can play all 3 downs on a full-time basis if needed and is cheap.

That is a very compelling reason.

And I am no fan of McFadden.

I disagree that he's the only backup capable of playing all 3 downs full time. Also, at worst you could split time if necessary. Therefore, not compelling.

We don't know what the compensation would be, but I'd far, far rather get a later round pick who at least has a chance to contribute for the next 4 years than cling to the off chance that we might maybe possibly have a role for McFadden for one year.

Genghis Khan

Jackson is a SPARQ player and has a chance to contribute long-term if his head is there.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I disagree that he's the only backup capable of playing all 3 downs full time. Also, at worst you could split time if necessary. Therefore, not compelling.

We don't know what the compensation would be, but I'd far, far rather get a later round pick who at least has a chance to contribute for the next 4 years than cling to the off chance that we might maybe possibly have a role for McFadden for one year.
Morris has never done it and the other guy is a rookie who is taking a big step up in competition.

So who else is there?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
What are we talking about here?

Trading McFadden?

He was damn near out of the league before he came to Dallas and I'd guess the vast majority of the league realizes the only reason he had a decent year is because of our potentially historic OL. If we got anything more than a conditional 6th for him at the most I'd be absolutely shocked and he's probably worth more to us than that.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
What are we talking about here?

Trading McFadden?

He was damn near out of the league before he came to Dallas and I'd guess the vast majority of the league realizes the only reason he had a decent year is because of our potentially historic OL. If we got anything more than a conditional 6th for him at the most I'd be absolutely shocked and he's probably worth more to us than that.
4th leading rusher in the NFL, complete back and a guy with a great size to speed combo. I'm willing to bet some other team will think they can milk something out of him for a year. That's why I think a fifth would be possible.

And honestly I'd rather see Morris platooning with Elliott. He is a proven runner who is still very young. Maybe he isn't a great pass catcher but who gives a shit. Elliott, other rookie or Dunbar can catch balls wonderfully.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
4th leading rusher in the NFL, complete back and a guy with a great size to speed combo. I'm willing to bet some other team will think they can milk something out of him for a year. That's why I think a fifth would be possible.

And honestly I'd rather see Morris platooning with Elliott. He is a proven runner who is still very young. Maybe he isn't a great pass catcher but who gives a shit. Elliott, other rookie or Dunbar can catch balls wonderfully.
McFadden just drives me crazy with how he fails to finish his touches.

That said, I doubt they move him.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

Your description of him is insane.

He's a 29 year old injury prone RB who averaged like 3.5 YPC over 4 years before he got to run behind an all-time type of OL. Maybe there is some idiotic team out there, I have no clue, but if I had to guess we probably wouldn't get much of anything for him. If some team was offering a 5th I'd certainly take it, but I'm guessing the vast majority of teams, maybe all, wouldn't give up more than a conditional 6th or 7th.

Genghis Khan

Morris has never done it and the other guy is a rookie who is taking a big step up in competition.

So who else is there?
Wait, what? Morris didn't have 335 carries his rookie year? I'd say he's done it.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Your description of him is insane.

He's a 29 year old injury prone RB who averaged like 3.5 YPC over 4 years before he got to run behind an all-time type of OL. Maybe there is some idiotic team out there, I have no clue, but if I had to guess we probably wouldn't get much of anything for him. If some team was offering a 5th I'd certainly take it, but I'm guessing the vast majority of teams, maybe all, wouldn't give up more than a conditional 6th or 7th.
He is only 28 for now :art

Teams could very easily just assume Oakland was a bad situation for him.

Top Bottom