Sturm's Morning After: Plenty of stress about Cowboys running game and play-calling

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Never said he would be a failure. I never denied he had talent. I didn't trust his intellect and reliability. If I was wrong on anything, I was wrong on his character.

My view on Randle is two fold, character and talent.
Fair enough. I remember it being a bit more than that, but it's all good.
But carry on.
~releases breath in relief~

Thanks, man. Wasn't sure you were going to grant me permission there for a sec.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Can't say I disagree. He doesn't have a feel for the blocking like Murray did.
I would say also that Murray took some time to get it right himself. He didn't come in with that ability readily available.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think Randle will be okay but the OL didn't run block as well as they did last season. Maybe Collins will rectify this to the extent that the second level will be handled better. Jiggy was correct about that observation.
I think some of that is situational though. The Giants loaded up the box with Bryant out of the game and started with Cullen Jenkins and Robert Ayers at DE. Neither of those guys is shit for a pass rusher but they both play the run really tough. Hell Jenkins is basically a 2 gaping DT playing DE.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I think some of that is situational though. The Giants loaded up the box with Bryant out of the game and started with Cullen Jenkins and Robert Ayers at DE. Neither of those guys is shit for a pass rusher but they both play the run really tough. Hell Jenkins is basically a 2 gaping DT playing DE.
It was not the DE's it Hankins sometimes getting pressure and him tying up blockers so that backside LB made the play.

Also Selvie seemed to diagnose a few things and run to spots tying up guys, if we had not gotten behind I think we were starting to get a rythym in the running game the second half.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Well no, because now suddenly 4 ypc isn't acceptable
Actually 4ypc IS disappointing behind an OL with this talent level and a QB and passing game capable of backing off safeties.

Anyways, my gauge of RB success isn't a stat, but a feeling of confidence, consistency, explosiveness, and reliability after watching him play.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Actually 4ypc IS disappointing behind an OL with this talent level and a QB and passing game capable of backing off safeties.

Anyways, my gauge of RB success isn't a stat, but a feeling of confidence, consistency, explosiveness, and reliability after watching him play.
I'll put it simply this way, the role we saw out of Randle against the Giants is exactly what I expect out of him. 4 + ypc, right around 16 carries and probably 1000-1200 yards on the season. Basically the leader of the platoon who consistently is getting positive yards.

What I expect is more from the other RBs. Meaning in the future hopefully McFadden is able to get more carries (As our team runs the ball more in general) and he is able to be much more productive with those carries. If he can't do that then I want Christine Michael active on game day instead. Randle and Dunbar have already shown a great ability to catch the ball. To me McFadden doesn't bring anything different or substantially better. Michael definitely brings something different to the game.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I'll put it simply this way, the role we saw out of Randle against the Giants is exactly what I expect out of him. 4 + ypc, right around 16 carries and probably 1000-1200 yards on the season. Basically the leader of the platoon who consistently is getting positive yards.

What I expect is more from the other RBs. Meaning in the future hopefully McFadden is able to get more carries (As our team runs the ball more in general) and he is able to be much more productive with those carries. If he can't do that then I want Christine Michael active on game day instead. Randle and Dunbar have already shown a great ability to catch the ball. To me McFadden doesn't bring anything different or substantially better. Michael definitely brings something different to the game.
Good take, c-rock.

McFadden does offer speed though that none of the other backs have. That can't be taught. True he sucks at bringing that speed to the field, but the ability is there unlike the others.

IMO Michael needs to be getting carries yesterday.

Top Bottom