The Great Police Work Thread

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
So if someone doesn't move the second you ask them to, that justifies assault?
Attempting to apply hand restraints isn't an assault. She started fighting the cop as soon as he put his hand on her arm. At that point you pretty much have to subdue her. You're acting like she got grounded and pounded. She fell over, got hauled a short distance and got handcuffs applied. Big damned deal.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
So if someone doesn't move the second you ask them to, that justifies assault?
There is no way to know how long the cop had been standing there talking to her before the video starts. Not even to include how long the teacher had been trying to get her to leave before she had to call the cops.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
There is no way to know how long the cop had been standing there talking to her before the video starts. Not even to include how long the teacher had been trying to get her to leave before she had to call the cops.
No cops were called. It was a security guard at the school.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Attempting to apply hand restraints isn't an assault. She started fighting the cop as soon as he put his hand on her arm. At that point you pretty much have to subdue her. You're acting like she got grounded and pounded. She fell over, got hauled a short distance and got handcuffs applied. Big damned deal.
He went pretty quickly to a head lock in the video. Technically speaking assault is any unwanted touching. So yes, it is still assault. Now that doesn't make it criminal assault because there are certain types of assault that are allowed by law. An officer for example is allowed to use certain levels of physical force.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He had to be called. Don't skirt the point.
I'm not skirting the point, he was already at the school. This isn't a case of someone calling the police department and then having a police officer arrive on scene. Physical force should have been a last resort but clearly from the reports and the video it wasn't a last resort for the security officer.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
He went pretty quickly to a head lock in the video. Technically speaking assault is any unwanted touching. So yes, it is still assault. Now that doesn't make it criminal assault because there are certain types of assault that are allowed by law. An officer for example is allowed to use certain levels of physical force.
Semantics. In that case, I believe that disrupting a classroom and refusing to leave is an arrestable offense and she deserved to get arrested, she also didn't have the right to resist arrest, which she clearly did.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Semantics. In that case, I believe that disrupting a classroom and refusing to leave is an arrestable offense and she deserved to get arrested, she also didn't have the right to resist arrest, which she clearly did.
No question, she didn't not act the way she should have. She was on private property and when asked to leave she refused. Plain and simple that was wrong. But shit, it's a child, lets have a little common sense. Grabbing her arm and putting her in a head lock probably isn't the best way to go about getting her out of the room.

Cotton

Staff member
I'm not skirting the point, he was already at the school. This isn't a case of someone calling the police department and then having a police officer arrive on scene. Physical force should have been a last resort but clearly from the reports and the video it wasn't a last resort for the security officer.
He is a sheriff's deputy assigned to that school. The situation escalated to the point he had to be called, so your assertion that there wasn't a bunch of talking that happened well before he had to use force.

Cotton

Staff member
No question, she didn't not act the way she should have. She was on private property and when asked to leave she refused. Plain and simple that was wrong. But shit, it's a child, lets have a little common sense. Grabbing her arm and putting her in a head lock probably isn't the best way to go about getting her out of the room.
So, since we have established that there was an attempt to talk her out of the classroom, what do you propose as step 2? Should they have tried pretty please?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So, since we have established that there was an attempt to talk her out of the classroom, what do you propose as step 2? Should they have tried pretty please?
So much talking took place that the other students said they didn't even know what was going on? Crazy disruptive.

Jiggyfly

Banned
yes she was asked to leave and she was in the wrong but this was a discipline problem over a cell phone.

She was not threatening or even acting out are you saying every time a child does something like this it is ok to throw them across the room?

Most school policies are that you are not supposed to touch a student unless they are causing harm to others or themselves and that same policy was in this school district.

It was a young female, what part of throwing her across the room was warranted because she refused to get out of a desk?

I have no issue with his attempting to get her out of the room but there are other ways than slamming her to the floor and then tossing her across the room or do you think the refusal to leave means anything goes?

Kbrown

Not So New Member
I try not to be in the "damn kids are RUNNIN' WILD" camp, but good grief, the only thing I see as a problem there is the dragging across the floor. The desk tumps over because she was clinging to it like a lemur.

I think the discussion of authority's role is warranted, but I also think a discussion of parenting and culture is needed. Ever go on social media and see how tweens talk to each other?

12-year-old: James Harden is really good.
Other 12-year-old: I hope animals rape your mother's fucking asshole, bitch.

I am rambling, but long story short, society is DOOMED.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The guy got fired, and I am glad that Sheriff Lott explained why. He didn't need to sling her across the room. That specifically was cited and I am glad he spelled it out for the stupid.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I try not to be in the "damn kids are RUNNIN' WILD" camp, but good grief, the only thing I see as a problem there is the dragging across the floor. The desk tumps over because she was clinging to it like a lemur.

I think the discussion of authority's role is warranted, but I also think a discussion of parenting and culture is needed. Ever go on social media and see how tweens talk to each other?

12-year-old: James Harden is really good.
Other 12-year-old: I hope animals rape your mother's fucking asshole, bitch.

I am rambling, but long story short, society is DOOMED.
Yep. Exactly.

The whole it is okay to not respect authority thing is feeding the cases of brutality and alleged racism.

Jiggyfly

Banned
It looks like the Sherrif agrees with me this was not proper procedure.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/south-carolina-deputy-ben-fields-fired-job-sheriff-n452881

Lott said that while Fields had no prior complaints against him during his seven years at Spring Valley, his actions that day were enough to warrant his termination.

A memo of the results of the department's investigation says deputies, in instances where the suspect is in a seated position and is nonthreatening, are trained to use "tactical communication to try to talk them into compliance." If that fails, deputies can use "pain compliance techniques," but aren't supposed to "throw or push away a suspect" unless the person is trying to harm them.

Still, Lott said, people shouldn't "lose sight" that the student's unruly behavior set off the incident.

"What she did doesn't justify what our deputy did. It doesn't justify his actions, but she needs to be held responsible for what she did," Lott said.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
This kind of shit is why the school system is so messed up. Kids like this can do whatever they want and if they face any consequences at all the enabling parents are up in arms over it.

Top Bottom