Soccer Thread

dallen

Senior Tech
Does anyone know if the Premier League has a online streaming option like MLB.TV?

dallen

Senior Tech
Am curious dallen, who is your EPL team. Personally, I dont have one, and we just fired our manager today #nottinghamforest
I don't really have one either. I've been watching more soccer lately, but recently canceled my satellite subscription.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Chelsea loses again.

This is precisely why I said weeks ago why I'd rather be in City's shoes because they control their own fate.

After this weekend, they will no longer be in the lead and City will still have games to make up.

Last edited:

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Some good games today.

Good performance from Swansea, they needed this to avoid relegation and now that they're out of Europa League and have Michu back I'm not really worried about that anymore.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Great win for PSG over Chelsea.

Would love to see Mourinho face the media if he loses out in both the league and the CL. :towel

Carl

RIP Brother

Would love to see Mourinho face the media if he loses out in both the league and the CL. :towel
Looks now as though he is going to. They are so light-weight up front. Conceding that last goal was a disaster, but PSG deserved it I thought. A rich club, that have actually bought well.

As far as the EPL, I can't see Liverpool hanging on, but their attacking play has been exhilarating at times. And am personally delighted for Brendan Rodgers.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Looks now as though he is going to. They are so light-weight up front. Conceding that last goal was a disaster, but PSG deserved it I thought. A rich club, that have actually bought well.

As far as the EPL, I can't see Liverpool hanging on, but their attacking play has been exhilarating at times. And am personally delighted for Brendan Rodgers.
IN this case, Mourinho actually does have an excuse. As you said, their strikers are just awful.

I think Liverpool can hang out till the end, and that match vs Chelsea is going to be excellent. :towel

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

It's his first year back, of course they have good talent but it'd be premature to judge him after one season.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Great game between the US and Mexico but the refs are totally fucking us.

Called off a totally legit for us as then failed to call a penalty.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Damnit.....just as I feared, Chelsea won 2-0.

I had no faith in PSG playing well on the road, or even scoring for that matter.

I think Chelsea are out in the semifinal because I can't see them beating Madrid or Bayern, but they got much further than I thought they would.

And Madrid hung on by the skin of their teeth. Dortmund had so many chances to get the 3rd goal but couldn't put it away.

Tomorrow, my beloved Barcelona face Atletico, but I gotta be honest and say that I don't think they make it through.

Carl

RIP Brother
Damnit.....just as I feared, Chelsea won 2-0.

I had no faith in PSG playing well on the road, or even scoring for that matter.

I think Chelsea are out in the semifinal because I can't see them beating Madrid or Bayern, but they got much further than I thought they would.

And Madrid hung on by the skin of their teeth. Dortmund had so many chances to get the 3rd goal but couldn't put it away.

Tomorrow, my beloved Barcelona face Atletico, but I gotta be honest and say that I don't think they make it through.
Chelsea deserve a lot of credit; and Mourinho's record in CL is, dare I say special. Never lost in QF's and been to SF 8 times.

Carl

RIP Brother
So the first ESPN 30 for 30 "Soccer Stories" is on next Tuesday. And the subject is Hillsborough, where 96 Liverpool fans died. The opposition that day, was Nottingham Forest, my team. It's going to be interesting to see how accurate or controversial (take your pick) ESPN are prepared to be.

The police were at fault to be sure, but everyone and I mean everyone knew that it was a badge of honor at that time among Liverpool fans to turn up to games without tickets and bunk in free of charge. They will not accept any responsibility for what happened; and if anyone in the media dares to suggest they were, even somewhat culpable, they boycott, threaten with violence and generally make their life miserable. One of my good friends had a call in show on the original Fox Soccer Channel. He had strong views on Hillsborough. About 18 months ago, he got an offer from ESPN, the Liverpool webmongs got hold of the info and threatened ESPN, who subsequently withdrew the job offer.

Having said all that, I remain happy with the increased soccer coverage.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I get the feeling that Simp won't be chanting "You will never walk alone" anytime soon.

:lol

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Just as I suspected, Barcelona are out after failing to produce a single goal.

The fact that there is a blueprint to defeat Barcelona now, and that the club have done nothing to make adjustments and counter, is an absolute joke.

When we were eliminated by Chelsea 2 years ago, I said after that match that good defensive teams were having too much success hanging back and flooding the box against Barcelona and that they need to acquire a true CF or even a bigger midfielder that they could sub in these types of games to give them options.

Instead, we continue on with the same exact group of players hoping that we're going to be able to walk the ball into the back of the next in every game.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
What a game that was this morning.

Liverpool's energy early on was great and they absolutely dominated the first 40 minutes of the half, with City only showing life right near the end of the half.

That first goal was class. After Messi, I think Suarez might be the best passer in that group of elite goal scorers/attackers in the world. He's done at all season long and he did it again today. The way he shielded DeMichelis and brought the ball down, then turned his back in the opposite direction to then shield Clichy was impressive enough, but then to follow that sequence with a perfectly weighted ball just made it all the more brilliant.

Sterling's finish coupled with Suarez's brilliance might have made that the goal of the weekend in the EPL.

But just as this game was a tale of two halves for the teams, it was also that for Suarez. I thought he spent way too much time looking for cheap fouls in the 2nd half, and he did much more to hurt Liverpool than to help them in the latter half.

I thought Sturridge was very poor and his control and first touch were lacking, as was his decision making when he had the ball in the open field on a couple of occasions.

City were able to take what they built in the last 5 min if the 1st half and carry into the 2nd. They were as dominating in the 2nd as Liverpool was in the 1st. And how great was Silva? For my money, he was the MOTM.

On top of his brilliant play, I thought he earned a penalty that was not called that would have given City the lead.

Late in this one, I was certain that City were either going to get their 3rd or the game would end in a draw, and then Kompany's mistake happened. Just brutal and undeserving at that point in the match because City's defense was so good in the 2nd half, but that's football.

A great match between the leagues top two teams, and a reminder of why I think the EPL is still the best league in the world.

Top Bottom