Cowlishaw: 20 years after Jerry & Jimmy split, new spin on why Johnson left 'Boys

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
But Jimmy is right. We are still having this conversation 20 years later because all we really have to talk about is good ol' day syndrome. This team has sucked since his influence laft it and Jerry has done nothing but maintain the mediocrity since. I can't wait until this time next year when we get these same damn articles for the 21st year in a row. :flip

data

Forbes #1
I can think of a couple:
1) a team at it's absolute peak, and
2) a roster loaded with talent
Neither of them present in Miami when he took over.
I don't understand your comment.

Jimmy Johnson didn't leave Miami because they sucked. Just like Jimmy didn't leave Dallas because they sucked.

We're talking about why Jimmy left Dallas and if he would've stayed longer sans-Jerry-involvement.

This has nothing to do with the talent level of Miami or Dallas when Jimmy Johnson came aboard.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I don't understand your comment.

Jimmy Johnson didn't leave Miami because they sucked. Just like Jimmy didn't leave Dallas because they sucked.

We're talking about why Jimmy left Dallas and if he would've stayed longer sans-Jerry-involvement.

This has nothing to do with the talent level of Miami or Dallas when Jimmy Johnson came aboard.
The talent level has a ton to do with the difference between those two situations. One was an established organization with tons of talent and one was, without a doubt, not.

data

Forbes #1
The talent level has a ton to do with the difference between those two situations. One was an established organization with tons of talent and one was, without a doubt, not.
What?

So, which organization did not have tons of talent when Jimmy Johnson left -- Miami, which won National Championships in 89 and 91, or Dallas?

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Instead of saying just 'Miami' it might help if you differentiate between the Hurricanes and the Dolphins, considering he coached both places.

Cotton

Staff member
What?

So, which organization did not have tons of talent when Jimmy Johnson left -- Miami, which won National Championships in 89 and 91, or Dallas?
I was talking about the Dolphins. Major difference.

data

Forbes #1
I was talking about the Dolphins. Major difference.
Yes, major difference.

In any case, Jimmy left 'TEH U' voluntarily, without a Jerruh-like meddler and probably had the university eating out of his hand.

So, maybe Jimmy may still have left the Cowboys after 93' even with Jerruh agreeing to back off.

Cotton

Staff member
Yes, major difference.

In any case, Jimmy left 'TEH U' voluntarily, without a Jerruh-like meddler and probably had the university eating out of his hand.

So, maybe Jimmy may still have left the Cowboys after 93' even with Jerruh agreeing to back off.
Speculation.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Well, I do struggle to believe we ever would have drafted Kavika Pittman had Jimmy been here. It took time for the roster to decline
in a serious way. Pittman was a great start, though, I must admit. Thanks, Jer!
Like Jimmy never had a draft bust? Also, Pittman was drafted in 1996. You really think Jimmy would have stayed out of Florida until 1996?

Last edited:

p1_

DCC 4Life
Like Jimmy never had a draft bust? Also, Pittman was drafted in 1996. You really think Jimmy would have stayed out of Florida until 1996?
I stand corrupted ! I meant Shante
Carver in '94. Who could forget ? Also epic fail.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I stand corrupted ! I meant Shante
Carver in '94. Who could forget ? Also epic fail.
Pittman was a lesser talent. Carver was an easy mistake to make, he had talent, he just didn't have it between the ears.

Irving Cowboy

DCC 4Life
Actually, according to Jimmy, he had an AD or some president at the U that drove him apeshit. Not to the level that Jerry did, and I'm not for sure that made any difference in his decision to head to Dallas, but the dude was a total douche. Thaddeus Foote was his name I think.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Actually, according to Jimmy, he had an AD or some president at the U that drove him apeshit. Not to the level that Jerry did, and I'm not for sure that made any difference in his decision to head to Dallas, but the dude was a total douche. Thaddeus Foote was his name I think.
It seems fairly clear that for most of his career Jimmy was a self-absorbed walking douchebag himself.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
It seems fairly clear that for most of his career Jimmy was a self-absorbed walking douchebag himself.
It's ok when you're a winner.

That's much different from a douchebag who doesn't know have a clue.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Yes, major difference.

Jimmy left the U for the prestige and riches of the NFL. A clear step up.

Not for retirement, or a less prestigious college gig.

Top Bottom