MLB Chatter Thread

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
The Rockies are getting their asses kicked. Makes me feel a little bit better.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Angels' Don Baylor breaks leg in ceremonial first pitch mishap

By Mike DiGiovanna This post has been updated. See note below for details.
March 31, 2014, 9:34 p.m.

The Angels’ 2014 season — and Don Baylor’s tenure as the team’s hitting coach — got off to a rocky and bizarre start Monday night when Baylor injured his right ankle while catching the ceremonial first pitch from Vladimir Guerrero and had to be carried off the Angel Stadium field.

[UPDATED, 9:34 p.m. PDT, March 31: The Angels announced Baylor fractured his right femur and he is scheduled to undergo surgery Tuesday.]

The first-pitch ceremony before the season opener against the Seattle Mariners paired the only two Angels players who have won American League most-valuable-player awards, Baylor in 1979 and Guerrero in 2004.

The strong-armed Guerrero’s pitch was low and away, and Baylor, 64, made a lunging, backhand grab, but Baylor turned his right ankle in the process and was unable to get up.

Baylor sat motionless on the ground for a few moments before athletic trainers came out to tend to him and help him off the field.

The team announced during the second inning that Baylor had sustained a right leg injury and was taken to UCI Medical Center for further testing and evaluation. The severity of the injury was not immediately known.

The incident was eerily reminiscent of the 2010 play on which former Angels first baseman Kendrys Morales broke his leg while jumping onto the plate after a walk-off grand slam. Or the time first baseman Mo Vaughn, in his first game after signing a six-year, $80-million contract with the Angels, tumbled into the dugout while chasing a foul pop-up and suffered a severely sprained ankle in the 1999 season opener.
--------------------------------------------------

Jesus. That's a terrible thing to happen to Don Baylor but I saw the highlight and how the hell did he manage to break his femur?! Old and brittle. Great. That's what we have to look forward to I guess.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Angels' Don Baylor breaks leg in ceremonial first pitch mishap

By Mike DiGiovanna This post has been updated. See note below for details.
March 31, 2014, 9:34 p.m.

The Angels’ 2014 season — and Don Baylor’s tenure as the team’s hitting coach — got off to a rocky and bizarre start Monday night when Baylor injured his right ankle while catching the ceremonial first pitch from Vladimir Guerrero and had to be carried off the Angel Stadium field.

[UPDATED, 9:34 p.m. PDT, March 31: The Angels announced Baylor fractured his right femur and he is scheduled to undergo surgery Tuesday.]

The first-pitch ceremony before the season opener against the Seattle Mariners paired the only two Angels players who have won American League most-valuable-player awards, Baylor in 1979 and Guerrero in 2004.

The strong-armed Guerrero’s pitch was low and away, and Baylor, 64, made a lunging, backhand grab, but Baylor turned his right ankle in the process and was unable to get up.

Baylor sat motionless on the ground for a few moments before athletic trainers came out to tend to him and help him off the field.

The team announced during the second inning that Baylor had sustained a right leg injury and was taken to UCI Medical Center for further testing and evaluation. The severity of the injury was not immediately known.

The incident was eerily reminiscent of the 2010 play on which former Angels first baseman Kendrys Morales broke his leg while jumping onto the plate after a walk-off grand slam. Or the time first baseman Mo Vaughn, in his first game after signing a six-year, $80-million contract with the Angels, tumbled into the dugout while chasing a foul pop-up and suffered a severely sprained ankle in the 1999 season opener.
--------------------------------------------------

Jesus. That's a terrible thing to happen to Don Baylor but I saw the highlight and how the hell did he manage to break his femur?! Old and brittle. Great. That's what we have to look forward to I guess.

Supposedly he has some kind of bone cancer that makes him susceptible to this sort of thing.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Supposedly he has some kind of bone cancer that makes him susceptible to this sort of thing.
Ugh. Poor bastard. I wondered about that because sometimes you hear of people breaking a bone far more easily than normal and they find out it's because they have previously undetected cancer.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I know we're only 2 games into the season but the Braves have to do something with BJ Upton. The dude flat out sucks.

He's already 0-8 on the season with 4 strikeouts. Normally you can chalk that up as nothing but with his track record you know you're in for another year of him batting below .200 and tons of Ks.

We can't have that guy in the #2 spot and expect to be successful. They should find someone who can come in and play CF and at least hit .240. That's not great but it's a hell of a lot better than the .185 we'll likely get out of Upton.

D

Deuce

I know we're only 2 games into the season but the Braves have to do something with BJ Upton. The dude flat out sucks.

He's already 0-8 on the season with 4 strikeouts. Normally you can chalk that up as nothing but with his track record you know you're in for another year of him batting below .200 and tons of Ks.

We can't have that guy in the #2 spot and expect to be successful. They should find someone who can come in and play CF and at least hit .240. That's not great but it's a hell of a lot better than the .185 we'll likely get out of Upton.
~snicker~

1bigfan13

Staff member
~snicker~
The Braves are usually smarter than this. When they spend money they usually spend it wisely. There's no explanation for the $$ they gave Upton.

That was a signing that you'd expect the Yankees to make.

D

Deuce

The Braves are usually smarter than this. When they spend money they usually spend it wisely. There's no explanation for the $$ they gave Upton.

That was a signing that you'd expect the Yankees to make.
I remember 2 things from his FA period. 1. I wanted to keep him cause if his great D and his timely hot streaks, though I knew he was prone to long stretches of crap at the plate, and nostalgia. 2. When I saw the money ATL gave him, I was shocked. No way was he worth that and it was a huge gamble on their part.

Now, I will admit that I didn't think he'd stoop to be the horrible hitter he was last year. At least with TB he was hovering around .250 and put a few nice seasons together. But he's dipped into the Carlos Pena territory, only without as much power.

The worst part is, he's untradable with this contract. You're stuck with him for a long time.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

Sorry 1big but I was so happy you signed him. Well, really more that we didn't then anything.

Rev

Staff member
:lol

Tony D

DCC 4Life

~snicker~
I was telling Deuce that he was the most overrated player in baseball years ago.

1bigfan13

Staff member
I was telling Deuce that he was the most overrated player in baseball years ago.
Not trying to be funny here, in a way I am, but he's performing like a free agent who signs with the Yankees.

It seems like the last 5 years or so most of the big money free agents the Yankees bring in struggle in pin stripes and don't perform up to the contract they received.

Ir's not cool being on the other end of the stick. I'm sorry, Tony, for all the finger pointing and laughing.

Rev

Staff member
FU Garza.

1bigfan13

Staff member
I'm not watching the game but I see that Harang has a no-hitter thru 6 in Milwaukee.

Earliest no-hitter in MLB history...?

Although, I doubt he finishes the game because he's already thrown 85 pitches and would have to go 3 more innings. I doubt Gonzalez lets him go above 105 pitches this early in the year. Especially since we have so many injuries to our starting staff already.

1bigfan13

Staff member
As an aside....your daily Upton update: He's 0-3 with 2 more strikeouts. :budd

I would straight up pull a minor league A ball trade with him. BJ Upton back to the Rays for a 10 lb tub of pine tar, 10 Louisville Sluggers, and 20 lbs of Big League Chew.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
As an aside....your daily Upton update: He's 0-3 with 2 more strikeouts. :budd

I would straight up pull a minor league A ball trade with him. BJ Upton back to the Rays for a 10 lb tub of pine tar, 10 Louisville Sluggers, and 20 lbs of Big League Chew.
They may be stuck with his contract but no one is forcing them to keep putting the guy on the field.

Top Bottom