Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
From April 26th...

Jerry Jones: Age of Cowboys’ defensive line doesn’t concern me
By Jon Machota
jmachota@dallasnews.com
2:31 am on April 26, 2013

IRVING – Late Thursday night after the first round of the 2013 NFL Draft had concluded, Dallas Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones said he was “offensive oriented” entering the day, mentioning that he’s pleased with the talent already in place on the defensive side of the ball.

A concern to some is the age of the Cowboys’ defensive line. Of the four projected starters, only defensive end Anthony Spencer is under the age of 30. What was Jones’ answer to that? Well, don’t look too far into the future.

“[Tyrone] Crawford is certainly going in that right direction,” Jones said. “In no way do I think [Jay] Ratliff has injury issues. He did last year but that was pretty unique. I think [DeMarcus] Ware’s an exception. Spencer and these guys are young 30-year-olds. Don’t get me wrong, I’m interested in long term but I’m real interested in what’s happening in the next 24-36 months. That’s really what you ought to be looking at.”

If the Cowboys had stayed at No. 18, many experts believe the best fit would’ve been one of the following defensive tackles: Florida’s Sharrif Floyd or North Carolina’s Sylvester Williams.

Floyd was projected to go as high as No. 3 but slipped to the Minnesota Vikings at No. 23.

“We feel like defensive line is a position of strength for us,” Jones responded when asked about Floyd. “In our system, we would probably put a premium on a quick-twitch potential three-technique. We [graded] him as not that, but that he certainly may be capable of getting there. That’s a case where are switch from a 3-4, he was obviously a nose tackle that had a lot of promise there at nose tackle. He’s an outstanding football player. … Again, I think you got to put our decision-making with a real focus on doing something with the interior of our offensive line.”

In regards to Williams, who went to the Denver Broncos at No. 28, Jones said the Cowboys “weren’t pinpointing him.”

Judging by Jones’ post draft comments, don’t be surprised if a safety is the only defensive position addressed in this draft.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I don't get it.
I don't either, feel like we knew all this for a long, long time. Jerry abandoned his draft board? He foolishly thought the DL was good? It was dumb to count on injured players like Spencer and Ratliff, or thirty year olds in general, for that matter? He's incapable of looking at the big picture and is always in "win now" mode even if his team sucks?

Yeah, all old news.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I don't either, feel like we knew all this for a long, long time. Jerry abandoned his draft board? He foolishly thought the DL was good? It was dumb to count on injured players like Spencer and Ratliff, or thirty year olds in general, for that matter? He's incapable of looking at the big picture and is always in "win now" mode even if his team sucks?

Yeah, all old news.

Yep that's how I see it.

Cotton

Staff member
It's just a reminder of how things he said thing contradict things he is saying now. Like the 24-36 month comment. That has not shortened to the "we were only planning for this year" comment from the other day.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
It's just a reminder of how things he said thing contradict things he is saying now. Like the 24-36 month comment. That has not shortened to the "we were only planning for this year" comment from the other day.
I just hope we've moved on from Spencer and won't be rewarding him with a fat contract extension for missing a year.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The biggest mistake was counting on Ratliff.

His position and what he was expected to do for the DL was devastating. Everyone in the organization fully expected him to play and it turns out that was not exactly wrong. He is playing. Just not in Dallas because he didn't want to.

That's why Jerry was whining just this past week...he got fucked royally.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
That's why Jerry was whining just this past week...he got fucked royally.
Maybe that will be the kick in the teeth the Jones family needs to stop dumping money on players who've either barely proven themselves, are too old, or too injury prone.

Cotton

Staff member
Maybe that will be the kick in the teeth the Jones family needs to stop dumping money on players who've either barely proven themselves, are too old, or too injury prone.
:lol

He'll show you!

Top Bottom