2016 POTUS Election Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jiggyfly

Banned
The Head of the FBI was very careful to say that the investigation was all above board and it was. He gave the report of the discrepancies and violations but then he immediately turned to the political side when he said he didn't think a prosecutor would handle it. That is the most absurd contradiction he could have uttered. The agents that did the work are probably really pissed. They dug out the violations and then heard the Director say it all there but it's not good enough. That is blatantly a slap in the face to an Investigative group. It's a travesty.

townsend

Banned
It's kind of sad, if the GOP hadn't been a complete shit show they'd probably have this election in the bag. Rubio, or Cruz could have probably won by pretty significant margins. Instead the GOP short circuited itself and ended up with a buffoon that wouldn't even be preferable to a Petreaus/Snowden ticket.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
It's kind of sad, if the GOP hadn't been a complete shit show they'd probably have this election in the bag. Rubio, or Cruz could have probably won by pretty significant margins. Instead the GOP short circuited itself and ended up with a buffoon that wouldn't even be preferable to a Petreaus/Snowden ticket.
The GOP didn't structure themselves this way. The people of the nation structured the GOP this way.

townsend

Banned
The GOP didn't structure themselves this way. The people of the nation structured the GOP this way.
I would say that the GOP appearing deeply out of touch for the last two decades was what started this schism. A political party isn't very useful if the people of the nation don't feel represented by it.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I would say that the GOP appearing deeply out of touch for the last two decades was what started this schism. A political party isn't very useful if the people of the nation don't feel represented by it.
I could agree with that.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Man Commits Exact Same Crime as Hillary, Found Guilty
John S. Roberts

When FBI Director James Comey said he would recommend to the DOJ that no charges should be filed over Hillary Clinton’s email scandal, he added that other people would’ve been punished for doing the same thing.

Then again, Hillary is on her way to becoming the first female president, so nothing – absolutely nothing – must impede that process.

She broke the rules? Oh well.

We need a female president!

Look what was just dug up. Comey may want to check this out…

From Zero Hedge:

What is shocking is that the FBI director was clearly ignoring the US code itself, where in Section 793, subsection (f),”Gathering, transmitting or losing defense information“, it makes it quite clear that intent is not a key consideration in a case like this when deciding to press charges, to wit:

Whoever, being entrusted with or having lawful possession or control of any document, writing, code book, signal book, sketch, photograph, photographic negative, blueprint, plan, map, model, instrument, appliance, note, or information, relating to the national defense, (1) through gross negligence permits the same to be removed from its proper place of custody or delivered to anyone in violation of his trust, or to be lost, stolen, abstracted, or destroyed, or (2) having knowledge that the same has been illegally removed from its proper place of custody or delivered to anyone in violation of its trust, or lost, or stolen, abstracted, or destroyed, and fails to make prompt report of such loss, theft, abstraction, or destruction to his superior officer— Shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both.

What is even more shocking is that according to Comey, “we cannot find a case that would support bringing criminal charges on these facts.”

Well, we did. Here is the FBI itself, less than a year ago, charging one Bryan H. Nishimura, 50, of Folsom, who pleaded guilty to “unauthorized removal and retention of classified materials” without malicious intent, in other words precisely what the FBI alleges Hillary did (h/t @DavidSirota):

U.S. Magistrate Judge Kendall J. Newman immediately sentenced Nishimura to two years of probation, a $7,500 fine, and forfeiture of personal media containing classified materials. Nishimura was further ordered to surrender any currently held security clearance and to never again seek such a clearance.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Man Commits Exact Same Crime as Hillary, Found Guilty
John S. Roberts

When FBI Director James Comey said he would recommend to the DOJ that no charges should be filed over Hillary Clinton’s email scandal, he added that other people would’ve been punished for doing the same thing.

Then again, Hillary is on her way to becoming the first female president, so nothing – absolutely nothing – must impede that process.

She broke the rules? Oh well.

We need a female president!

Look what was just dug up. Comey may want to check this out…

From Zero Hedge:

What is shocking is that the FBI director was clearly ignoring the US code itself, where in Section 793, subsection (f),”Gathering, transmitting or losing defense information“, it makes it quite clear that intent is not a key consideration in a case like this when deciding to press charges, to wit:

Whoever, being entrusted with or having lawful possession or control of any document, writing, code book, signal book, sketch, photograph, photographic negative, blueprint, plan, map, model, instrument, appliance, note, or information, relating to the national defense, (1) through gross negligence permits the same to be removed from its proper place of custody or delivered to anyone in violation of his trust, or to be lost, stolen, abstracted, or destroyed, or (2) having knowledge that the same has been illegally removed from its proper place of custody or delivered to anyone in violation of its trust, or lost, or stolen, abstracted, or destroyed, and fails to make prompt report of such loss, theft, abstraction, or destruction to his superior officer— Shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both.

What is even more shocking is that according to Comey, “we cannot find a case that would support bringing criminal charges on these facts.”

Well, we did. Here is the FBI itself, less than a year ago, charging one Bryan H. Nishimura, 50, of Folsom, who pleaded guilty to “unauthorized removal and retention of classified materials” without malicious intent, in other words precisely what the FBI alleges Hillary did (h/t @DavidSirota):

U.S. Magistrate Judge Kendall J. Newman immediately sentenced Nishimura to two years of probation, a $7,500 fine, and forfeiture of personal media containing classified materials. Nishimura was further ordered to surrender any currently held security clearance and to never again seek such a clearance.
This is what the guy actually did.

According to court documents, Nishimura was a Naval reservist deployed in Afghanistan in 2007 and 2008. In his role as a Regional Engineer for the U.S. military in Afghanistan, Nishimura had access to classified briefings and digital records that could only be retained and viewed on authorized government computers. Nishimura, however, caused the materials to be downloaded and stored on his personal, unclassified electronic devices and storage media. He carried such classified materials on his unauthorized media when he traveled off-base in Afghanistan and, ultimately, carried those materials back to the United States at the end of his deployment. In the United States, Nishimura continued to maintain the information on unclassified systems in unauthorized locations, and copied the materials onto at least one additional unauthorized and unclassified system.
That is not exactly the same thing especially considering we do not know what was on the documents that were secret.

This statue covers defense documents and they were not retained as with this case.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That is not exactly the same thing especially considering we do not know what was on the documents that were secret.

This statue covers defense documents and they were not retained as with this case.
You do know what a personal server is right? It's unauthorized media, which is exactly the same thing as Clinton. You act like there is a difference between how you carry the data. Legally speaking it doesn't matter. Your only argument is that his classified documents were somehow different then her classified documents which legally speaking is meaningless. The real difference is one of them is running for President and the other is just a normal person who has to play by the rules like the rest of us.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I don't care what party you affiliate with, if you defend or disregard this with a wink and a nod then you have political blinders on.

JC, I was busted for shoplifting once when I was a stupid teenager. I received more of a penalty for that well over thirty years ago than this crone did for her indiscretions and I never had the ambition to try and become "leader of the free world".

Just keep on sweeping sh!t under the rug, establishment politicians. Pretty soon you're going to need a larger rug but hey, you can always use taxpayers or a little deficit spending to fund it.

Bottom line, she broke the rules, lied about it and her buddies in DC decided "Nothing to see here." I'm just sick of the political class exonerating themselves time and again.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't care what party you affiliate with, if you defend or disregard this with a wink and a nod then you have political blinders on.

JC, I was busted for shoplifting once when I was a stupid teenager. I received more of a penalty for that well over thirty years ago than this crone did for her indiscretions and I never had the ambition to try and become "leader of the free world".

Just keep on sweeping sh!t under the rug, establishment politicians. Pretty soon you're going to need a larger rug but hey, you can always use taxpayers or a little deficit spending to fund it.

Bottom line, she broke the rules, lied about it and her buddies in DC decided "Nothing to see here." I'm just sick of the political class exonerating themselves time and again.
Republican or Democrat I don't care, I'm tired of special treatment for politicians because of the power they hold. It's no different then Peace Officers getting special treatment by prosecuting attorneys when they do something wrong because they get the wink and a nod treatment. I know the temptation to celebrate since Hilary is the candidate you will be voting for, but doing so is very narrow minded and is really only looking at the small picture and totally missing the big picture.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Republican or Democrat I don't care, I'm tired of special treatment for politicians because of the power they hold. It's no different then Peace Officers getting special treatment by prosecuting attorneys when they do something wrong because they get the wink and a nod treatment. I know the temptation to celebrate since Hilary is the candidate you will be voting for, but doing so is very narrow minded and is really only looking at the small picture and totally missing the big picture.
This is why I said from the start I would vote for anyone but Clinton. She is a devious self centered and Narcissistic person. And she is no where near as qualified for a Presidential candidate as people tout. Great politician? Yeah but who wants another one of those in the oval office.

townsend

Banned
I think it's unfortunately apparent that once you get to that stratosphere of influence you won't get in trouble. Obama's been the first two term president in a long time that hasn't committed a crime. Bill perjured himself, W lied to get us in Iraq (and also stored info on a private server, and also was responsible for a CIA officer's identity being leaked) Reagan secretly sold weapons to Iran, can't be certain if there was a crime Nixon didn't commit.

But if you operate at that political level you'll never answer for it. It seems to me that either being that powerful leads to committing crimes, or the people who set out to be president are natural born criminals. I would guess it's a mix of both.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think it's unfortunately apparent that once you get to that stratosphere of influence you won't get in trouble. Obama's been the first two term president in a long time that hasn't committed a crime. Bill perjured himself, W lied to get us in Iraq (and also stored info on a private server, and also was responsible for a CIA officer's identity being leaked) Reagan secretly sold weapons to Iran, can't be certain if there was a crime Nixon didn't commit.

But if you operate at that political level you'll never answer for it. It seems to me that either being that powerful leads to committing crimes, or the people who set out to be president are natural born criminals. I would guess it's a mix of both.
Maybe if we actually start holding them responsible for their crimes we would get fewer criminal politicians. When you make someone feel invincible like Hilary clearly does, they will act out knowing no one will do anything about it.

townsend

Banned
Maybe if we actually start holding them responsible for their crimes we would get fewer criminal politicians. When you make someone feel invincible like Hilary clearly does, they will act out knowing no one will do anything about it.
I'm not advocating for a different level of Justice for the ruling class, just commenting on it. If you can agree that Reagan and W should have been punished for their crimes as well, we're on the same team.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not advocating for a different level of Justice for the ruling class, just commenting on it. If you can agree that Reagan and W should have been punished for their crimes as well, we're on the same team.
If they committed crimes they absolutely should have been punished.

townsend

Banned
If they committed crimes they absolutely should have been punished.
I feel like there's a bit of weaseling when it comes to how the more conservatively inclined hedge about their criminals. There's a lot more "ifs" applied to Iran Contra, or the WMD fiasco. But when it's Hillary, well that bitch is guilty.

I'm can see why all of them should be considered guilty, but I'm not a huge fan of deciding republicans deserve to be treated differently. Either you presume all of them innocent or you let the seemingly disregarded evidence damn them.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I feel like there's a bit of weaseling when it comes to how the more conservatively inclined hedge about their criminals. There's a lot more "ifs" applied to Iran Contra, or the WMD fiasco. But when it's Hillary, well that bitch is guilty.

I'm can see why all of them should be considered guilty, but I'm not a huge fan of deciding republicans deserve to be treated differently. Either you presume all of them innocent or you let the seemingly disregarded evidence damn them.
Well the FBI report listed all the things Hillary was deemed to be guilty of so we have that. Now list the things you are concerned about that the conservatives, whoever they may be, and what you would indicate the charges are against them. Your statement lacks specificity.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Well the FBI came out and said she was guilty. I just don't know as much about the past presidents incidents and if the investigation by the FBI actually provided enough for a conviction.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Anti-Donald Trump Forces See Convention Coup as Within Reach
Reid J. Epstein
July 6, 2016 5:05 p.m. ET
http://www.wsj.com/articles/anti-donald-trump-forces-see-convention-coup-as-within-reach-1467839099

Months after Donald Trump appeared to seal the Republican nomination for president, anti-Trump forces still have one last chance to force a vote on the party’s convention floor that would throw open the GOP contest again.

It’s a long shot, but by some counts they are remarkably close to getting past the first hurdle next week in Cleveland.

Mr. Trump’s intraparty foes, led by a group of rogue delegates, are waging an intense behind-the-scenes effort to push the Republican National Convention’s Rules Committee for a vote on freeing delegates to back whom they wish, rather than being bound to Mr. Trump.

The presumptive nominee’s team is fighting back just as vehemently, with an organized campaign of dozens of aides and volunteers. It’s a power struggle that has prompted threats of reprisals and left many Republicans anxious that it could hurt the party’s prospects in November.

The anti-Trump camp needs the backing of 28, or one-quarter, of the 112 Convention Rules Committee members, in order to place the issue before the full convention. A Wall Street Journal survey suggests it could be close.

In interviews, 20 members said they are willing to consider allowing delegates to be unbound, while 59 support Mr. Trump. The other 33 panelists couldn’t be reached or did not respond to repeated messages.

Others counting votes have their own tallies. Internal surveys of the Rules Committee conducted by RNC member Randy Evans of Georgia, who is whipping votes trying to help Mr. Trump fend off the insurrection, found at least 18 committee members open to voting to unbind. The Trump campaign’s count shows about 15 leaning toward the so-called conscience clause, according to people familiar with the campaign.

Kendal Unruh, a Colorado schoolteacher on the committee leading part of the anti-Trump movement, said she has private commitments from more than 30 committee members, but that many aren’t willing to admit so publicly.

All involved in counting votes say those numbers fluctuate on a day-to-day basis. If the provision gets the necessary committee votes when the panel meets beginning next Wednesday, it would place the issue before the full convention, where it would need 1,237 votes—half the delegates—to pass.

Though a majority of the convention delegates are bound to support Mr. Trump, Mr. Evans’s count shows just about 890 delegates are personally loyal to the New Yorker. Another 680 oppose Mr. Trump. That leaves 900 delegates who are presumed to be “in play,” he said. The stop-Trump forces would have to take nearly two-thirds of them to block his nomination.

townsend

Banned
Well the FBI came out and said she was guilty. I just don't know as much about the past presidents incidents and if the investigation by the FBI actually provided enough for a conviction.
I think it's a little generous to say the FBI found enough for a conviction on Hillary. Even if he said that she was 100% guilty of disseminating classified information (which he didn't), a prosecutor would have to agree (which apparently they wouldn't according to the FBI) and then she'd have to stand trial, and be found guilty, which is definitely not a guaranteed outcome for a former Harvard attorney.

What we're accounting for is all the ways interference has been run to save each candidate, and why a prosecutor wouldn't have a chance to convict. Nixon got pardoned, Ollie North jumped on the landmine for Reagan, Clinton quick talked his way out of it (Harvard lawyer), Bush had most of his crimes more or less classified.

The point is something will always happen to protect these guys (and gal) because they're so effing powerful somebody's bound to bail them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom