The way I saw it: Cowboys-Eagles Week 2

Jiggyfly

Banned
As with last week I am focusing on the running game and the play of the lines, with some other things that stood out.

1.Bernadeau had a really bad game he was reason number 1 for most of the struggles, he played with no power and was never able to reach guys on stretch plays, Collins should be the backup G moving forward.

This was not Martins best game, he missed some second level blocks that would have popped some big runs and he seemed to be lacking some pop as well, I wonder if that injury was more serious than reported, he was not bad just not as great as usual.

Benny Logan was a handful he was giving multiple guys fits all game it was quite a battle between him and Frederick, I would call that battle a draw.

The line as a group looked good in pass pro they missed a clear hold on the initial sack of Romo when Philly ran a stunt and Logan grabbed Martin and drug him out of the way, everything else was picked up pretty well, the hit on Romo that got him hurt was a great blitz call on a empty back set.

Collins looked really good, he got to the 2nd level well and had some pop when making contact, he held up well is pass pro and only made 1 mistake as far as I could tell. He should have played the whole game.

I think some of the overall struggles with the offense is that they are trying to do to much, Romo was kinda going all Peyton Manning and trying to get into the perfect play instead of just running it, I think this is giving to many people to much to think about. I think dialing things down could help the o-line get back on track.

2. I think Randle has missed some cutback lanes that Murray was great at finding last year, I wish I had the all 22 but on some of those minimale gaines I think if he had cut it back there would have been some 15-20 yard runs there. I think he is so focused on getting what's there he does not let the hole develope like Murray did.

Overall he did a good job and was much better in pass pro and if we did not get so many penalties I think he would have had a very good game. every time he got in rythym a penalty was called and we had to pass.

I am thinking that Michael needs to start getting Mcfadden's touches if he gets a crease or angle he is good but it will always be feast or famine with him.

I think the issues can be summed up to these things.

Playing 2 division foes who have studied our running game all offseason and have geared up to stop it.

O-line and RB's not having the same chemistry as they had last year, like I mentioned before Murray had that knack of picking up that backside running lane while Randle and Mcfadden seem to be rushing things, I am not surprised with Mcfadden but I thought this would be a strenght of Randle.

Missing Callahan, he just seemed to call the right running play at the right time those plays that popped wide open have not been there this year.

I think we have a chance to get things untracked this week if Weeden can make some plays against some 8 man fronts, Atlanta does not have inside guys like Hankins and Logan and have a small guy at RE.

4.Lawrence was more active this week but he needs a secondary move because he cannot bend on the edge like Gregory and gets ridden out of the play to easily, he was great in run defense and did well on stunts.

The guy who surprised was Mclain he was in the backfield all game if he can stay healthy I bet he gets more reps than Hayden.

We should give a game ball to Brent Celek his inability to block anybody was the main reason the kept getting TFL's. Captain Morgan that.:lol

Lee went full Leegro, he was just all over the field it's amazing how fast you can play when you understand everything that is happening in front of you.

5. I think we can officially call Jones a safety now, when Church got hurt he was the guy that replaced him, he is fast becoming an integral part of the defense, I want to see how he holds up to Gronk in a couple of weeks.

All of this fawning over the Eagles was laughable how can you have a great offense when Mathews is your #1 reciever.

I think once everybody is back and healthy this is a top 5 defense.

6. One more thing about Collins, he might have saved the game, he was last guy with a chance to stop Carrol on that fumble recovery if he is not hustling that's a 13-7 game with Philly having momentum. I would not have wanted to Weeden under that kind of pressure.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Bernadeau was terrible, I don't see how the team can justify playing him at OG if Collins is available. I realize that there will be times when he is active on gameday over Collins because he can play center while Collins can't, but I think considering that Leary is a little balky right now and how much better Collins is than Bernadeau, we need to have Collins active in case Leary's injury flares up.

As for the running game, I agree with the assessment. It's a combination of the RB's not being able to hit the cutbacks and the OL chemistry being affected by Leary being out, Martin probably not being 100% and possibly Callahan's departure.

The time has definitely come to see what Michael has, he's definitely more gifted physically than what we have so might as well just give him a try.

I also don't think Jones is clearly a safety yet, if something were to happen to Carr or Claiborne I think he'd be the first one to step in at outside CB. It just so happens that Church was out for a few plays and he is also our 3rd safety. He clearly has a defined role as a nickel/dime LB of sorts in terms of his matching up with TE's.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Bernadeau was terrible, I don't see how the team can justify playing him at OG if Collins is available. I realize that there will be times when he is active on gameday over Collins because he can play center while Collins can't, but I think considering that Leary is a little balky right now and how much better Collins is than Bernadeau, we need to have Collins active in case Leary's injury flares up.

As for the running game, I agree with the assessment. It's a combination of the RB's not being able to hit the cutbacks and the OL chemistry being affected by Leary being out, Martin probably not being 100% and possibly Callahan's departure.

The time has definitely come to see what Michael has, he's definitely more gifted physically than what we have so might as well just give him a try.

I also don't think Jones is clearly a safety yet, if something were to happen to Carr or Claiborne I think he'd be the first one to step in at outside CB. It just so happens that Church was out for a few plays and he is also our 3rd safety. He clearly has a defined role as a nickel/dime LB of sorts in terms of his matching up with TE's.
I think that White gets CB reps before Jones.

I am just glad Heath was not the next man up and that they had faith in Jones.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I think that White gets CB reps before Jones.

I am just glad Heath was not the next man up and that they had faith in Jones.
I can say this, Patmon has looked damn good so far. He has really made the losing of Scandrick so much easier.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I can say this, Patmon has looked damn good so far. He has really made the losing of Scandrick so much easier.
Yes he has, but he has also benefitted from some drops I wonder how he holds up against better slot guys.

Cotton

Staff member
Yes he has, but he has also benefitted from some drops I wonder how he holds up against better slot guys.
I don't know, but I'm anxious to find out. He has been a really nice surprise.

Cotton

Staff member
Oh yeah he has, but NE will put him under the real spotlight.
Yeah, but if all he has to do is cover that pathetic Edelman, he will be fine.

:unsure

Top Bottom