Tony Romo ranks second-to-last among NFL QBs; DeMarco Murray, Rolando McClain top 5 a

p1_

DCC 4Life
Tony Romo ranks second-to-last among NFL QBs; DeMarco Murray, Rolando McClain top 5 at their positions

By Jon Machota
jmachota@dallasnews.com
11:51 am on September 16, 2014 | Permalink

Now that two games are in the books, I figured it would be a good time to see how the folks at Pro Football Focus have graded the Cowboys players during their 1-1 start.

Here are some of the most interesting stats, grades and rankings I found.

OFFENSE

– Tony Romo ranks 38th among all quarterbacks who have taken a snap this season. Philadelphia’s Nick Foles is the only QB ranked below Romo. Yes, even Johnny Manziel, who has only taken three snaps, is 18th.

– Through two games, Romo is the lowest-graded player on the Cowboys offense.

– The top five: DeMarco Murray, Dwayne Harris, Dez Bryant, Tyron Smith and Terrance Williams.

– Dez Bryant, the Cowboys’ highest-graded offensive player for Week 2, is 10th among all wide receivers who have played at least 25 percent of their team’s snaps.

– Bryant is eighth among wide receivers in targets. He has caught 14 of the 19 passes thrown in his direction. The five passes he didn’t haul in were not considered catchable.

– DeMarco Murray is second to only Pittsburgh’s Le’Veon Bell among running backs who have played at least 75 percent of their team’s snaps

– Murray leads all running backs with 153 of his 285 rushing yards having come after contact.

– Tyron Smith ranks 21st among tackles and Zack Martin ranks 21st among guards who have played 75 percent of their team’s snaps.

– Doug Free had the biggest Week 1 to Week 2 swing, going from a +2.4 grade against San Francisco to a -3.0 grade against Tennessee.

DEFENSE

– Jeremy Mincey ranks eighth among 4-3 defensive ends who have played at least half of their team’s snaps.

– Tyrone Crawford was the Cowboys’ highest-graded player for Week 2. He played 28 snaps and was extremely effective as a pass rusher. He finished with one quarterback hit and a team-high five hurries.

Among all 4-3 defensive ends, Tyrone Crawford ranks eighth, while Mincey is 10th. Former Cowboy DeMarcus Ware is 18th.

– Among all defensive tackles, Henry Melton ranks ninth. Former Cowboy Jeremiah Ratliff is fourth.

– Rolando McClain ranks fifth among all inside linebackers. Ahead of him are Carolina’s Luke Kuechly, Philadelphia’s DeMeco Ryans, San Francisco’s Patrick Willis and Detroit’s Stephen Tulloch.

– Sterling Moore ranks 12th among all cornerbacks.

– Morris Claiborne is the Cowboys’ lowest-graded defensive player through two games.

– The top five: Henry Melton, Rolando McClain, Tyrone Crawford, Jeremy Mincey and Sterling Moore.

SPECIAL TEAMS

– Surprisingly, Dan Bailey ranks 20th among kickers. But if you don’t count kickoffs and just focus on field goal and extra point efficiency, he ranks third.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
p1_[/quote said:

– Morris Claiborne is the Cowboys’ lowest-graded defensive player through two games.
Interesting.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester

Interesting.
You're just hung up on him being the 6th pick in the draft.

He's playing well, don't ya know?

dallen

Senior Tech
Bailey's kickoffs haven't seemed bad to me

Carp

DCC 4Life
I love Sterling Moore. He plays with a little chip on his shoulder and is a willing tackler. I hope we keep him around for a long time.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I love Sterling Moore. He plays with a little chip on his shoulder and is a willing tackler. I hope we keep him around for a long time.
He's been a nice, scrappy player ever since we brought him in the first time back in 2012.

He's played well in games and in the preseason/camp, and we never should have cut him. But all that matters now is that he's on the team and playing well.

I hope he gets more opportunities because he deserves.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Hard to believe we screwed around with losing Moore for guys like Black Weiner.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

Interesting.[/QUOTE]

Oh snap!

In fairness though, rankings that include a guy who has had all of three snaps are suspect at best.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
In fairness though, rankings that include a guy who has had all of three snaps are suspect at best.
While true, no one should need a ranking system to know that Claiborne is not playing well anyway, and that ultimately is the point.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I am just glad that playing man to man paid off this week. That way we can pretty much scrap the zone play and all these rankings should come up. Carr was excellent this week.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Yeah, way more interesting then this...
A handful of guys ranked middle of the pack based on a small sample size vs. one guy whose performance in each individual game has been debated.

Not hard to see why one is more interesting than the other.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
A handful of guys ranked middle of the pack based on a small sample size vs. one guy whose performance in each individual game has been debated.

Not hard to see why one is more interesting than the other.
I'd say ranking 8th and 10th isn't middle of the pack. Not while the guy they are replacing and everyone is lamenting about is ranked 16th.

Of course all of this is a small sample size. We are talking about 2 games and a rating system that ranks our kicker 20th. :dunce

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
So, Manziel is rated the 18th best QB and Dan Bailey is the 20th best kicker?

:lol

~flush~

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
So, Manziel is rated the 18th best QB and Dan Bailey is the 20th best kicker?

:lol

~flush~

You didn't see those two handoffs?

Carp

DCC 4Life
I told you guys Manziel would have an impact.

Top Bottom