Draft Chatter Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jiggyfly

Banned
What's your top 20?
Interesting question.

If I am ranking on talent and ability to have a big impact I would probably go.

My Top Tier
Tunsil
Bosa
Goff
Elliott
Jack
Ramsey
Hargraves
Smith

Next tier
Wentz
Spence
Stanley
Bruckner
Lawson
Treadwell
Nkemdiche
Ragland

3rd tier
Lynch
Billings
Rankins

That 2nd and 3rd tier is very fluid.

I would not draft Elliot that high but I think he will have a very big impact just not long enough to take him that high.

Last edited:

junk

Not So New Member
Since Dallas has shown interest.

Chasing down quarterbacks with power, speed and a relentless nature, Montana defensive end Tyrone Holmes led the nation with 18 sacks.

He was named the Football Championship Subdivision Defensive Player of the Year, finishing his career second in school history with 34 sacks and 49 1/2 tackles for losses.

After dominating the Big Sky Conference, the native of Eagle Point, Oregon is taking his multi-faceted game to the NFL.

Snubbed for an NFL scouting combine invite, Holmes is still firmly on NFL scouts’ radar.

“I think my pass rushing is translatable to the next level,” Holmes said. “I have a pretty good get-off. I have the initial get-off and athleticism. I’m always going to have that chip on my shoulder. It gives me an edge. I’m never going to be complacent. I’m not going to have anything handed to me. I want to prove everybody wrong.

He’s been working out with former Minnesota Vikings All-Pro defensive lineman Keith Millard in San Ramon, Calif.

“He’s a gnarly dude,” Holmes said. “It’s been good work with him.”

Holmes has been honing his pass-rushing moves, which include a speed-rip and a double-hand swipe.

“I feel like I can definitely use more power more now,” Holmes said. “I’m a lot faster, too. I kind of watch a ton of NFL guys and try to take different parts of each of them. I love watching Tamba Hali’s hand-fighting. It’s the best technique I’ve seen. It’s fun to watch tape of him and Justin Houston. DeMarcus Ware was one of my very players, how athletic and smooth he is, guys like that and Connor Barwin and Trent Cole. I admire how they get off the ball.

The 6-foot-3, 253-pounder was lightly recruited out of high school. He was recruited by Washington State and Portland State before deciding on Montana.

“It was the perfect fit for me,” said Holmes, who’s represented by Noel LaMontagne of Eatern Athletic Services.”It’s pretty incredible.”

Holmes is preparing for a March 21 Pro Day. He played in the East-West Shrine all-star game, impressing NFL scouts.

Holmes likely projects to a 3-4 outside linebacker position in the NFL.

“I’ve dropped back in our zone pressures,” said Holmes, who hopes to run the 40-yard dash in the 4.6 range with a 36-inch vertical leap.. “I think I’m athletic enough to do it. The plan has been to go and show out at my Pro Day. The NFL will find you wherever you are.”

Follow me on Twitter: @AaronWilson_NFL

Aaron Wilson covers the Texans for The Houston Chronicle.
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/montana-pass-rusher-tyrone-holmes-chasing-nfl-dream/

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
“He’s a gnarly dude,” Holmes said. “It’s been good work with him.”
What kind of sorcery is this?

Wait, is Holmes actually a white teenager from the 1980s?

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
Adolphus Washington's solicitation charge was dismissed per twitter. I'd be interested if he drops to the third somehow.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Jiggyfly

Banned
Yeah but what is his floor are they comparable.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I guess this is Mayock's hot take.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Uh, duh.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I guess I see some of the physical comparison between the two. Luck is a very underrated athlete as a runner. Of course Wentz didn't play at Stanford in the Pac-12 so there is no way of really knowing how prepared he is for the NFL. Luck on the other hand was about as prepared as you can get.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I guess I see some of the physical comparison between the two. Luck is a very underrated athlete as a runner. Of course Wentz didn't play at Stanford in the Pac-12 so there is no way of really knowing how prepared he is for the NFL. Luck on the other hand was about as prepared as you can get.
I think ceiling is just another way of saying potential. Wentz may be able to match Luck physically but I think Luck was better prepared as to game knowledge than Wentz for the reason you have indicated. Competition levels.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Physically Wentz is similar to Luck/Newton, I think he will run a bit slower though, probably the low 4.7's. He is nowhere near as polished as Luck was coming out though, or as prepared as some would say with regard to the level of competition. The other thing people forget is that while Wentz did not have elite talent around him, his teams were obviously much more talented than their competition with the 5 straight titles.

The hype around Wentz is really starting to get out of control, I would be very happy with him at 4 but he has big time holes in his game that he has to work on and I think he would be best suited to sit for at least 8-10 games, if not a full season.

Cotton

Staff member
Dallas Cowboys should focus on defensive help, QB at NFL combine

Feb 22, 2016
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

A closer look at the positions the Dallas Cowboys could target at the NFL combine in Indianapolis:

Positions of need: Since the Cowboys were 4-12 in 2015, you name the position, the Cowboys have a need. They need help at defensive end, defensive tackle, linebacker, cornerback, safety, wide receiver, running back and quarterback. The biggest question will be if the Cowboys use the fourth pick in the draft at quarterback since Tony Romo turns 36 in April. Finding immediate help on an every-down basis at cornerback, defensive end and defensive tackle is a must in this draft. They can use free agency to fill roster holes before the draft so they can stay truer to their board.

Three players the Cowboys could focus on at the combine:

Myles Jack, LB, UCLA: Jack played in only three games as a junior because of a knee injury and almost immediately announced he would make himself available for the draft. He might be the best athlete in the draft. He had seven rushing touchdowns as a freshman, but he is a three-down linebacker. The question the Cowboys must answer is whether he plays middle linebacker or weakside linebacker. Wherever he plays, he can get to the ball. But the most important part of the combine will be the medical tests since he will not work out. Teams will want to see how far along he is in his rehab.

Jared Goff, QB, California
: The Cowboys got to know North Dakota State’s Carson Wentz at the Senior Bowl and will be able to use the combine to get to know the other top quarterback prospects, such as Goff and Memphis’ Paxton Lynch. Goff put up career highs in yards, completion percentage and touchdowns last season. Five of his 143 interceptions came in one game, but he has complete faith in his arm. He doesn’t lack for confidence and will throw at the combine.

Joey Bosa, DE, Ohio State: The Cowboys aren’t likely to bring back Greg Hardy and Jeremy Mincey and Jack Crawford are also free agents. Picking fourth, the Cowboys could have the chance to take whom many consider the best defensive end in the draft. Bosa had 26 sacks in three seasons but just five as a junior. But he had more than 50 tackles for loss in his career. Can he be an elite pass-rusher as a right defensive end? The Cowboys could move DeMarcus Lawrence back to right defensive end after he led the Cowboys in sacks in 2015.

Cotton

Staff member

"Adds that hand size is important for QBs"

Welp, there goes Wentz. He has the biggest hands at the Combine.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

"Adds that hand size is important for QBs"

Welp, there goes Wentz. He has the biggest hands at the Combine.
Where did you see that?

I don't think they have done QB measurements yet and I'm fairly certain that Wentz does not have bigger hands than all of the OL/DL, maybe all of the QB's, but again, that hasn't been done yet.

Cotton

Staff member
Where did you see that?

I don't think they have done QB measurements yet and I'm fairly certain that Wentz does not have bigger hands than all of the OL/DL, maybe all of the QB's, but again, that hasn't been done yet.
I meant all of the QBs. He had the second to largest hands at the Senior Bowl weigh-ins and the QB with bigger hands wasn't invited to the Combine, so...

And, of course I meant just of the QBs.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Where did you see that?

I think they are guessing based off his Senior Bowl results. Feel pretty comfortable that Goff has smaller hands.

Cotton

Staff member
I think they are guessing based off his Senior Bowl results. Feel pretty comfortable that Goff has smaller hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom