Archer: Cowboys snap counts - Offense

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys snap counts: offense

January, 6, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys had 997 offensive snaps in 2013 with right tackleDoug Free and center Travis Frederick the only players to take part in every play.

Left tackle Tyron Smith came close with 995.

The Cowboys had 25 players take at least one snap on offense in 2013, from as high as Free and Frederick to as low as Phil Costa, who had one snap and it came at fullback.

Only three teams used fewer players on offense than the Cowboys: Washington Redskins(24), Philadelphia Eagles (22) and Chicago Bears (21).

In his 11th season, Jason Witten played 984 offensive snaps. The much-talked about “12 personnel” revamping of the offense never really took place. James Hanna played 311 snaps. Gavin Escobar, the Cowboys' second-round pick, played in only 197. Terrance Williams played in 716 snaps. Cole Beasley (242) played in more snaps than Escobar andDwayne Harris played in 147 while missing big chunks of four games with hamstring injuries.

Escobar showed flashes late in the season, much the same way Hanna showed flashes late in his rookie season in 2012, but if the Cowboys want to be serious about their two-tight end offense, they need to re-tool their plan. There was little different about how they used it from when they took Martellus Bennett in the second round in 2008.

Injuries also limited Lance Dunbar’s effectiveness. He played in only 51 offensive snaps before a knee injury on Thanksgiving ended his season. He also battled through foot and hamstring injuries. If Dunbar can regain form, the Cowboys will have a nice complement toDeMarco Murray.

Offensive snaps:

997 - Doug Free, Travis Frederick
995 – Tyron Smith
990 – Ronald Leary
984 – Jason Witten
933 – Dez Bryant
919 – Tony Romo
716 – Terrance Williams
675 – Mackenzy Bernadeau
672 – DeMarco Murray
524 – Miles Austin
329 – Brian Waters
311 - James Hanna
242 – Cole Beasley
197 – Gavin Escobar
147 – Dwayne Harris
119 – Joseph Randle
78 – Kyle Orton
51 – Lance Dunbar
47 – Tyler Clutts
39 – Phillip Tanner
20 – Jermey Parnell
11 – Kyle Bosworth
8 – Andre Smith
1 – Phil Costa

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Costa....one snap...over a million in salary.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Dallas badly needs a player who plays like Dunbar, but Dunbar himself is too small and injury prone to stay on the field. I become more convinced every time I see him struggle to recover from even a small hit. He's not an NFL player, and it's sad because he has genuine speed and playmaking ability.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Costa....one snap...over a million in salary.
I can do you one better. I know it's not offense, but Spencer - zero snaps - over 10 mill in salary.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Spencer is taking the same trail as Ratliff did. Get a free year salary then move on. I doubt he will ever pay another down for Dallas.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Spencer is taking the same trail as Ratliff did. Get a free year salary then move on. I doubt he will ever pay another down for Dallas.
At least the last season he was on the field was perhaps his best. Ratliff's best days were so long ago I have forgotten them almost entirely.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not sure I care if he plays another down in Dallas. When you are talking about microfracture surgery on a knee it's rare for a player to ever be the same again. If he is brought back to Dallas it should be on a cheap short term deal. I doubt any NFL team will be offering him a real long term contract following microfracture surgery.

With Ware, Selvie, and Crawford you probably only have one more spot for a DE. I'd rather make it a legitimate young prospect as opposed to Spencer with a bum knee.

Top Bottom