Woman Confronting Man at Walmart Using Food Stamps

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I sorta get where you are coming from. Basically you are bitching just to bitch. You make it seem like the church is just some evil entity sitting back wringing their hands waiting to deny some sad soul who won't listen. Like, sign this agreement to listen to me or depart from me and starve, you scoundrels. Everyone need their safe place now so the meanie head Christians don't share their gospel. :eyeroll
Gimme a minute. I have to pick up my laptop for this reply.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
From the poster that is renokned for his memory of board lore, you disappoint me.
I hope he is just having a bad day or he has had catastrophic memory loss, because this has been very very disappointing.

data

Forbes #1
From the poster that is renokned for his memory of board lore, you disappoint me.
It was booze's general answer to many religious posts. Total disgust with the weird, established Jerry Falwells of the world.
You know, I always thought you were the guy that could be the custodian of multiple board crashes.

Now, I just don't know what you are capable of anymore.
lookit here. I used to come to the DCC to discuss *shocker* the Dallas Cowboys. Apologies for not bookmarking bible-thumping threads in my early years. Before you all chased him into a foxhole, Hostile provided a wealth of insider info and life-coaching. Now with my free time I've resorted to gender-bender convos here and there's not even a proper no-nips Babe of the Day thread.

Fuxkin evans.

Cotton

Staff member
I sorta get where you are coming from. Basically you are bitching just to bitch. You make it seem like the church is just some evil entity sitting back wringing their hands waiting to deny some sad soul who won't listen. Like, sign this agreement to listen to me or depart from me and starve, you scoundrels. Everyone need their safe place now so the meanie head Christians don't share their gospel. :eyeroll
I think it's interesting that you defend the whole church all of a sudden. You have historically distanced yourself from the "church". Just an observation.

Now, on to your point. I never once said churches made people sign anything to get food. More so that churches use the "opportunity" to hammer down this "hope" that if they turn to Christ, they can get themselves out of whatever hole they are in. It's just as terrible as politicians taking advantage of shootings to promote gun control. You get someone at their worst and try to bring them to your side by taking advantage of their situation. Need is a powerful emotion. Just as much as any we ever face as humans. To take advantage of it is ridiculously short-sighted and hypocritical.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
lookit here. I used to come to the DCC to discuss *shocker* the Dallas Cowboys. Apologies for not bookmarking bible-thumping threads in my early years. Before you all chased him into a foxhole, Hostile provided a wealth of insider info and life-coaching. Now with my free time I've resorted to gender-bender convos here and there's not even a proper no-nips Babe of the Day thread.

Fuxkin evans.
Go get Bob back and I will forgive you.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I like it when Cotton gets preachy.

Skid is going to handle this. I know it.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
It's the epitome of indoctrination. I've seen it too many times. Just gotta show Jesus as the savior. I will admit, it's very effective.
What other point is more important for the church than this? Charity is a work of the church but the message of hope is the mission of the church.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
If you make them agree to listen to you to get their meal, it's forced. You can sanctimoniously try to classify it however makes you feel best, but it is what it is.
I think I know the denomination you're talking about. Sounds like The Seventh Day Strawmantheists.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
I will go one step further.

A few weeks ago, we started having a guy become a regular at the interstate exit I take to get to work.

He's there pretty much every morning well before 7AM.

Every day that guy is out there, with a "WILL WORK FOR FOOD. GOD BLESS." sign. Usually I do the get on the cell phone thing or just try to look distracted, especially when he walks up to the car.

I have jobs that are open constantly. Not great jobs. Physical labor, light industrial, nine bucks an hour plus production bonuses.

I offered the guy a job Tuesday after rolling down my window when the exit was backed up, gave him by business card and told him to call me, or better yet, walk the quarter mile down the street and see me personally if he really needed work.

Didn't see the little fella this week.
I'd buy this if you'd given this guy a name. Maybe Mitch. Mitch, originally from Cleveland.

2/10 believability.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I think it's interesting that you defend the whole church all of a sudden. You have historically distanced yourself from the "church". Just an observation.

Now, on to your point. I never once said churches made people sign anything to get food. More so that churches use the "opportunity" to hammer down this "hope" that if they turn to Christ, they can get themselves out of whatever hole they are in. It's just as terrible as politicians taking advantage of shootings to promote gun control. You get someone at their worst and try to bring them to your side by taking advantage of their situation. Need is a p
owerful emotion. Just as much as any we ever face as humans. To take advantage of it is ridiculously short-sighted and hypocritical.
I'm not a strong supporter of many many things going on in the traditional American church. You are totally right about that. I am a totally committed person when it comes to the gospel and the teachings of Christ. So yeah, I get where you get that from. I consider myself a purist in that sense but by no means an elitist.

I do think that your complaint is somewhat misguided though. Only someone who believes that he gospel of Jesus (good news/redemption and life restoration) is harmful have a problem with it. I understand that some Christians are jerks. Not everyone can be a likable and cuddley as me. Yes, is crazy Christians do believe that those in need ahoild be offered ministry. That is sort of our directive/purpose. If a persons life is falling apart hope should be offered. Thankfully someone met me with that response when I was a total mess. I just dont understand whybthatvis offensive to you

If you think of it in terms of big business and big church then you are just dead wrong. Then poor and needy do nothing to build building and grow giant programs. Poor folks are a strain on the church. What you should be bitching about is how churches like to fight over the best property in the most influential areas so they can attract big tihers while ignoring the poor. In that respect your argument seems retarded.

I'm at my boys baseball game, on my phone and old/blind. So I this is unreadable sorry.

Cotton

Staff member
What other point is more important for the church than this? Charity is a work of the church but the message of hope is the mission of the church.
The two are not inseparable. That's the issue.

Cotton

Staff member
I think I know the denomination you're talking about. Sounds like The Seventh Day Strawmantheists.
You think churches using charity to draw people into the fold is a straw man? Okay.

FYI, I don't even begin propose that all churches are evil and take advantage of bad situations for their gain, but to think it doesn't happen is naive at best.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
You think churches using charity to draw people into the fold is a straw man? Okay.

FYI, I don't even begin propose that all churches are evil and take advantage of bad situations for their gain, but to think it doesn't happen is naive at best.
What kind of sense would it make for Pastor McEvil to fund his new BMW by bringing in homeless people who can't afford to eat? That doesn't even make logical sense.

Cotton

Staff member
I'm not a strong supporter of many many things going on in the traditional American church. You are totally right about that. I am a totally committed person when it comes to the gospel and the teachings of Christ. So yeah, I get where you get that from. I consider myself a purist in that sense but by no means an elitist.

I do think that your complaint is somewhat misguided though. Only someone who believes that he gospel of Jesus (good news/redemption and life restoration) is harmful have a problem with it. I understand that some Christians are jerks. Not everyone can be a likable and cuddley as me. Yes, is crazy Christians do believe that those in need ahoild be offered ministry. That is sort of our directive/purpose. If a persons life is falling apart hope should be offered. Thankfully someone met me with that response when I was a total mess. I just dont understand whybthatvis offensive to you

If you think of it in terms of big business and big church then you are just dead wrong. Then poor and needy do nothing to build building and grow giant programs. Poor folks are a strain on the church. What you should be bitching about is how churches like to fight over the best property in the most influential areas so they can attract big tihers while ignoring the poor. In that respect your argument seems retarded.

I'm at my boys baseball game, on my phone and old/blind. So I this is unreadable sorry.
I didn't once say that all churches are misguided in their intentions. There are good people in the "way". I just have seen too much agenda-driven motivations in my past to leave the notion that there are many churches out there that use the opportunity to "help" needy people as channels to build their agenda. And, don't give me the sanctimonious "we are doing it for the cause" that LT is trying. That shit is weak.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Somebody complaining because the church is giving to the needy?! W.T.Heck?

Cotton

Staff member
What kind of sense would it make for Pastor McEvil to fund his new BMW by bringing in homeless people who can't afford to eat? That doesn't even make logical sense.
Wasn't talking about padding the pastor's pocket. Try again, Keanu.

Top Bottom