Murray watch thread...

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
His fumbling is overstated. He has fumbled at horrible times, but over the course of his career he is not a fumbler.
Over the course of his career it isn't bad, but the frequency in which he fumbled last year cannot be ignored.

Every single fumble he had last year absolutely hurt us. Only 2 of his fumbles did not occur in scoring position, and those 2 that did not? One resulted in a defensive TD by the 49ers that started the blowout, and the other was against Green Bay in the playoffs on what was likely a TD play.

So while it would probably exaggerating to call him a fumbler, it also is fair to have conernes over it.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Over the course of his career it isn't bad, but the frequency in which he fumbled last year cannot be ignored.

Every single fumble he had last year absolutely hurt us. Only 2 of his fumbles did not occur in scoring position, and those 2 that did not? One resulted in a defensive TD by the 49ers that started the blowout, and the other was against Green Bay in the playoffs on what was likely a TD play.

So while it would probably exaggerating to call him a fumbler, it also is fair to have conernes over it.
He had 3 fumbles in the regular season and 1 in the playoffs. They happened at really bad times, but the frequency is overstated.

So we are hung up on 4 fumbles...not the 1845 yards, the 15 20+ yard runs, the 85 runs for first down, or the 13 TDs.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member

:lol

Exactly. I love the way a few guys defend his fumbling like its no big deal. The fact remains the guy puts the ball on the ground at critical times...the biggest being the Packer game. I think it was truly the turning point of that game to be honest.

Carp

DCC 4Life
:lol

Exactly. I love the way a few guys defend his fumbling like its no big deal. The fact remains the guy puts the ball on the ground at critical times...the biggest being the Packer game. I think it was truly the turning point of that game to be honest.
I have acknowledged it...but hey, I am saying no big deal and stuff. Makes for a juicier post. 4 fumbles is not a lot.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
He had 3 fumbles in the regular season and 1 in the playoffs. They happened at really bad times, but the frequency is overstated.

So we are hung up on 4 fumbles...not the 1845 yards, the 15 20+ yard runs, the 85 runs for first down, or the 13 TDs.
Including the playoffs, he had 6 lost fumbles and another few instances where he either fell on his own fumble or it went out of bounds.

He had the 49ers fumble that was returned for a TD.

He fumbled vs Tennessee on a promising drive, then against St. Louis on a 3rd down conversion in FG range, then fumbled vs the Texans in scoring position, then fumbled against the Redskins inside the 10 when he tried to do too much on a pass.

He managed to not lose another fumble for the rest of the regular season after that point until he fumbled at Green Bay.

If he returns, the staff really need to emphasize that he needs to secure the ball similarly to how Coughlin did with Tiki Barber.

I can't speak for the others, but I'm well aware of what he accomplished and I'm one of his biggest fans and want him back. I just think that his fumbles shouldn't be looked at as an anomaly and should be addressed in camp.

Last edited:

Carp

DCC 4Life
I didn't say you claimed it wasn't a big deal, just pointing out that it is fair to have concern over it.

Including the playoffs, he had 6 lost fumbles and another few instances where he either fell on his own fumble or it went out of bounds.

If he returns, the staff really need to emphasize that he needs to secure the ball similarly to how Coughlin did with Tiki Barber.

Oops, just saw that you were addressing Unc's post. Never mind.
He lost 1 fumble in the playoffs and 3 in the regular season.

D

Deuce

Techincally he had 5 fumbles lost on the year. 3 rushing and 2 receiving.

D

Deuce

So 6 fumbles lost over an 18 game period. I'm sorry, but other stats aside, losing a fumble every 3rd game isn't good. Throw in the situational aspect and its even worse.

Carp

DCC 4Life
OK, see the stats. Prior to last year he lost 3 fumbles in his first 3 years.

D

Deuce

OK, see the stats. Prior to last year he lost 3 fumbles in his first 3 years.
On 150+ less carries for the year. So, the question is...do you resign him at elite money that he wants and give him a part time load or let him walk?

Carp

DCC 4Life
On 150+ less carries for the year. So, the question is...do you resign him at elite money that he wants and give him a part time load or let him walk?
I completely understand that he may have to move on and IMO does not merit a huge deal. My point more was that people were using the fumbling as a crutch, but seemed to gloss over all the positives he had this year.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I completely understand that he may have to move on and IMO does not merit a huge deal. My point more was that people were using the fumbling as a crutch, but seemed to gloss over all the positives he had this year.
This I do agree with.

I'm even seeing some dummies credit the line for his production when the guy has been a good player from day 1.

His health was the only real question mark before this year, but the production had always been there.

D

Deuce

This I do agree with.

I'm even seeing some dummies credit the line for his production when the guy has been a good player from day 1.

His health was the only real question mark before this year, but the production had always been there.
I don't see why it can't be both. He was a 1200 yard back in 2013. That's good production and I think what Murray is for anyone. But when an OL goes from solid to elite, the 1200 yard back becomes an 1800 yard back. I think that's what we saw happen.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I don't see why it can't be both. He was a 1200 yard back in 2013. That's good production and I think what Murray is for anyone. But when an OL goes from solid to elite, the 1200 yard back becomes an 1800 yard back. I think that's what we saw happen.
He also averaged a half yard more per carry behind the less elite line in 2013.

D

Deuce

He also averaged a half yard more per carry behind the less elite line in 2013.
On 9 less carries a game because we were slinging it constantly and his runs were catching people off guard. Once we went to a more convential offense his ypc would bound to drop a little.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Why does NFL.com list him as having 5 fumbles lost during the regular season? I certainly seem to remember more then 3 fumbles during the regular season.

*edit*

Nevermind I went back and read the rest of the posts in this thread. ESPN splits the stats between rushing and receiving.

Last edited:
Top Bottom