MacMahon: Barry Church - Defense should study more

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Barry Church: Defense should study more

December, 12, 2013

By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- Much of the external blame for the Dallas Cowboys' dreadful defense is being directed at coordinator Monte Kiffin, but the players aren't pointing fingers.

As awful as the Dallas defense was while letting the Chicago Bears score on every drive until a kneel-down in the final seconds, there were several instances in which the scheme worked perfectly and the players failed.

Cornerback Orlando Scandrick dropped an interception in the end zone early in the third quarter. Linebacker Bruce Carter dropped a pick the next series.

"We have to figure out a way to make more plays and execute," Scandrick said. "As a defense, as a team and as individuals, we all have to look at ourselves in the mirror and think what we can do to better help this team."

The X's and O's obviously haven't worked well enough for a defense that ranks last in the league by a long shot. Same goes for personnel. But the players are focused on the parts of the problem that they can control.

Defensive end DeMarcus Ware stressed the importance of playing sound fundamentally. Safety Barry Church is challenging his teammates to watch more film.

"I think as a whole unit, we need to study more on our opponents," Church said. "Not even just the concepts, but just read what our one-on-ones are, what the receivers like to do, what the quarterbacks like to do, who he likes to throw it to on third down. We've just got to win situational football, and hopefully we can do it this week."

There is also the challenge of trying to remain confident when the results have been so disastrous.

"We have two choices," Scandrick said. "You fold it in and get ready for the offseason or you try and forget the last one and move forward."

Church admitted to a violation of the 24-hour rule, saying the blowout loss to the Bears was still on his mind during Wednesday's practice.

It'd be one thing if that outing was out of character, but it's the fifth time the Cowboys have allowed at least 490 yards and 30 points in a loss this season.

"It's tough," Church said. "We've given up a lot of yards, not only against the run but also against the pass. The whole defense, we've just got to look at ourselves in the mirror and say, 'We've got to get the job done.' Hopefully, we can get it done. That's all I can really say."

Donpingon

DCC 4Life
Sheesh, these multimillionaire professionals don't even know how to prepare for their jobs?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Sheesh, these multimillionaire professionals don't even know how to prepare for their jobs?
That's why I was on the players case for the defense being so shabby. They are not earning their money and I think they need a mandate immediately.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
That's why I was on the players case for the defense being so shabby. They are not earning their money and I think they need a mandate immediately.
They are not accountable to anyone. Not each other and certainly not the coaches.

Charlie Waters and Cliff Harris used to challenge each other constantly to understand their opponents cold. Waters was athletically average, but he performed on the field because he studied his ass off. He made everyone around him better, and that culture carried forward for a long time in the 70's.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Wow. It's one thing if they are not good enough. There is no excuse to not be prepared. That's stunning to me if they aren't studying enough. That's an appalling lack of dedication commitment and accountability.

Cotton

Staff member
Wow. It's one thing if they are not good enough. There is no excuse to not be prepared. That's stunning to me if they aren't studying enough. That's an appalling lack of dedication commitment and accountability.
It should embarrass the shit out of them to admit it.

Cotton

Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It would be.
No, it is. No "would" about it.

They are shitheads, but this just makes all of this talk about Garrett fostering a culture of accountability to be nothing but a hollow joke.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
No, it is. No "would" about it.

They are shitheads, but this just makes all of this talk about Garrett fostering a culture of accountability to be nothing but a hollow joke.
It would if it's true. This is the first we've heard of it and everything we've ever heard about it in the past seems to contradict that they aren't focusing and preparing properly.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It would if it's true. This is the first we've heard of it and everything we've ever heard about it in the past seems to contradict that they aren't focusing and preparing properly.
Yeah, Barry Church just suddenly decided to make it up. :lol

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Yeah, Barry Church just suddenly decided to make it up. :lol
Didn't say he was making it up. But what are they doing with all their prep time then? We know they are practicing the most they are allowed, we know they have to attend all their meetings on time, etc. They aren't playing dominos in the locker room.

It would contradict the rest of the picture that we've been given that they aren't being required to study. I'd like to hear it from more people to substantiate exactly what they are doing, then. Maybe we're spending too much time on our own plays and not enough scouting the opponent.

Certainly wouldn't be shocking, that the coach doesn't have the right mix of prep. But what would be shocking is if they are goofing off.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Didn't say he was making it up. But what are they doing with all their prep time then? We know they are practicing the most they are allowed, we know they have to attend all their meetings on time, etc. They aren't playing dominos in the locker room.

It would contradict the rest of the picture that we've been given that they aren't being required to study. I'd like to hear it from more people to substantiate exactly what they are doing, then. Maybe we're spending too much time on our own plays and not enough scouting the opponent.

Certainly wouldn't be shocking, that the coach doesn't have the right mix of prep. But what would be shocking is if they are goofing off.
Are you really surprised by this after the way this team looks totally unprepared most of the time?

Top Bottom