2016 College Football Chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Penn state has 2 losses but otherwise I agree completely.

Penn state's head to head win over Ohio state plus a conference championship "should" get them in over Ohio state. The only question remaining should be whether Ohio state gets in over the pac 10 winner.
You're right. I keep forgetting about that loss to Pitt.

1bigfan13

Staff member
In the end I see it going

Bama
Ohio State
Washington
Clemson

I just don't see how you can leave Washington out. Especially if they finish the season by beating a top 10 team while winning their conference championship.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
In the end I see it going

Bama
Ohio State
Washington
Clemson

I just don't see how you can leave Washington out. Especially if they finish the season by beating a top 10 team while winning their conference championship.
Isn't that exactly what Penn state or Wisconsin will do?

Genghis Khan

But those teams that I listed only have 1 loss.

I guess it'll come down to how much the committee values conference championship games versus number of losses versus strength of schedule.

If Wisconsin wins, I could see Washington/clemson/alabama/Ohio state.

If Penn state wins, I don't see how you could justify those 4 teams, particularly Ohio state.

The bad news is somebody probably gets screwed no matter what. The good news is, this is how we get to 8 teams.

1bigfan13

Staff member
I guess it'll come down to how much the committee values conference championship games versus number of losses versus strength of schedule.

If Wisconsin wins, I could see Washington/clemson/alabama/Ohio state.

If Penn state wins, I don't see how you could justify those 4 teams, particularly Ohio state.

The bad news is somebody probably gets screwed no matter what. The good news is, this is how we get to 8 teams.
Ohio State is definitely the wild card. I think those other 3 teams are safe because they'd only have the 1 loss plus they're conference champions.

In 2014 & 2015 the committee sent the message that conference championship games matter.

In 2014 they dropped both Baylor and TCU. In 2015 Oklahoma remained in the top 4 but we dropped from the 3 seed to the 4 seed all because the Big 12 doesn't have a conference championship game.

So do they reverse course this year and not punish Ohio State like they've did other programs? We'll find out next weekend.

Last edited:
D

Deuce

You can't be a 1 loss team that's considered top 2 all season and having beaten #3 in your last game and be left out of the playoff. Won't happen no matter what program you are.

Baylor and TCU weren't nearly as good, highly ranked or had such a quality win to end the season.

Genghis Khan

You can't be a 1 loss team that's considered top 2 all season and having beaten #3 in your last game and be left out of the playoff. Won't happen no matter what program you are.

Baylor and TCU weren't nearly as good, highly ranked or had such a quality win to end the season.
Which is why I think Washington is in trouble if Penn state wins. It's equally as illogical to put them in ahead of Penn state since Penn state beat them head to head.

Any way you slice it, either one of the conference champions are in trouble, or Ohio state is in trouble.

D

Deuce

Which is why I think Washington is in trouble if Penn state wins. It's equally as illogical to put them in ahead of Penn state since Penn state beat them head to head.

Any way you slice it, either one of the conference champions are in trouble, or Ohio state is in trouble.
Penn St has 2 losses. You want in, beat Pitt.

I think the top 4 will be Bama, Ohio St, Clemson and Washington.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Alabama opens as 22 point favorites over Florida in the SEC title game. Holy shit. :lol

Genghis Khan

Penn St has 2 losses. You want in, beat Pitt.

I think the top 4 will be Bama, Ohio St, Clemson and Washington.
Clemson also lost to Pitt. Pitt is pretty solid.

Penn state meanwhile hasn't lost since September, which often makes a difference. They've also beaten Ohio State, which is a better win than anyone Washington beat. And they'll have a 2nd top ten win oif they beat Wisconsin.

If Ohio state wanted in, they should have beaten Penn state. If Washington wanted in, they should have beaten USC.

It's juynot that simple.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

Penn state meanwhile hasn't lost since September, which often makes a difference. They've also beaten Ohio State, which is a better win than anyone Washington beat. And they'll have a 2nd top ten win oif they beat Wisconsin.

If Ohio state wanted in, they should have beaten Penn state. If Washington wanted in, they should have beaten USC.

It's juynot that simple.
I hope the committee thinks like you do.

Cotton

Staff member
I guess my tricky little source was wrong. One of the local TV stations just said Kingsbury will be back next year.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I guess my tricky little source was wrong. One of the local TV stations just said Kingsbury will be back next year.
Ah, he was just joshin' with you. Better luck next time.

Those sources, jeez.

Cotton

Staff member
Ah, he was just joshin' with you. Better luck next time.

Those sources, jeez.
But but but, his name is Dave and is a rough and tumble electrician that works for one of the local hardware stores. I just KNEW I could trust him.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

It's juynot that simple.
They beat the piss out of my Iowa team too who is now in the top 25. I'm not sure why Penn State is so good this year, they just are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom