One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Thanks, brother.

Cotton

Staff member
Giants releasing Schwartz, Beason

Posted by Zac Jackson on February 10, 2016, 11:52 AM EST

The Giants plan to release veteran offensive lineman Geoff Schwartz and linebacker Jon Beason, ESPN’s Dan Graziano reported Wednesday.

Beason and Schwartz both signed big contracts with the Giants before the 2014 season. The Giants had acquired Beason in an Oct. 2013 trade with the Panthers.

Injuries limited Beason to four games in 2014 and five in 2015. Beason, 31, hasn’t played a full season since 2010.

Schwartz was limited to two games in 2014 at right tackle due to injury. He started 11 games at guard last season.

The Giants save about $6 million in cap space by releasing Beason and about $3 million with Schwartz’s release.

Schwartz will be 30 this summer. His younger brother, Mitchell Schwartz, will also be a free agent if he doesn’t strike a deal with the Browns over the next four weeks.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member
Bruce Irvin prepares to cash in on open market

Posted by Mike Florio on February 10, 2016, 11:39 AM EST

Last year, the Seahawks could have exercised the fifth-year option on Bruce Irvin’s rookie contract. They didn’t.

With Super Bowl 50 placing an even greater premium on pass rushers, it means that Irvin will soon be leaving Seattle.

Barring a new contract or the use of the franchise tag (both of which are believed to be highly unlikely at this point), Irvin will sign elsewhere — on a deal that easily will surpass $10 million annually.

Irvin’s ability to get after the pass comes during a free-agency cycle with not many quality pass rushers even available. Dolphins defensive end Olivier Vernon is the other big name to watch.

A first-round pick in 2012, Irvin had eight sacks as a rookie. Last year, in a contract year, he had 5.5.

Still, the 2016 free-agent pickings are slim. And Irvin is in the right place at the right time. And it’s safe to say at this point that someone will pay him, possibly more than he deserves.

Regardless of whether Irvin deserves it, he’s going to get it. Because teams are going to make getting after the quarterback a huge priority.

dallen

Senior Tech
I think we should sign Dwayne Allen

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The Giants roster is really devoid of talent, the only legitimate Pro Bowl caliber player on their shit hole roster is Beckham.

dallen

Senior Tech
Nah, I hear that dude is a dick.
Not that one. The out of shape mid-30's, hasn't played since peewee football one. He showed a lot of potential back in 5th grade.

Cotton

Staff member
Not that one. The out of shape mid-30's, hasn't played since peewee football one. He showed a lot of potential back in 5th grade.
Oh, I thought that was the one we were talking about. :unsure

Cotton

Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bruce Irvin prepares to cash in on open market

Posted by Mike Florio on February 10, 2016, 11:39 AM EST

Last year, the Seahawks could have exercised the fifth-year option on Bruce Irvin’s rookie contract. They didn’t.

With Super Bowl 50 placing an even greater premium on pass rushers, it means that Irvin will soon be leaving Seattle.

Barring a new contract or the use of the franchise tag (both of which are believed to be highly unlikely at this point), Irvin will sign elsewhere — on a deal that easily will surpass $10 million annually.

Irvin’s ability to get after the pass comes during a free-agency cycle with not many quality pass rushers even available. Dolphins defensive end Olivier Vernon is the other big name to watch.

A first-round pick in 2012, Irvin had eight sacks as a rookie. Last year, in a contract year, he had 5.5.

Still, the 2016 free-agent pickings are slim. And Irvin is in the right place at the right time. And it’s safe to say at this point that someone will pay him, possibly more than he deserves.

Regardless of whether Irvin deserves it, he’s going to get it. Because teams are going to make getting after the quarterback a huge priority.
He is a poor man's Von Miller. Similar size and athletic ability and only a fraction of the production.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well that didn't last long.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
He is a poor man's Von Miller. Similar size and athletic ability and only a fraction of the production.
He projects well to a 3-4 team that wants a fast edge rusher. Being out of position in the 4-3 hasn't helped him much but I think he has the talent to be a 10 sack guy.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He projects well to a 3-4 team that wants a fast edge rusher. Being out of position in the 4-3 hasn't helped him much but I think he has the talent to be a 10 sack guy.
Yeah I agree. If I was a 3-4 team in desperate need of an edge rusher he would be at the top of my list. Still a lot of untapped potential.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think we should go back to the 3-4.
I think that's stupid. We have basically been building the pieces for the 4-3 since we cut ties with the old 3-4 guys (Ware) and are finally on the verge of seeing some of those guys emerge (Demarcus Lawrence, Randy Gregory and Anthony Hitchens) and now you want to swap back to the 3-4. It's dumb, pick a style of build it. Changing for the sake of changing is dumb.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom