Archer: Dallas Cowboys' pass rush 'not good enough'

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Our problem is the running game is just as average as the backup QB... except it's at full strength, or at least it was until Dunbar fell.

We are 20% converting 3rd and 1. Telling. Weeden is getting stuck in 3rd and long too often and we can't convert-- 4-18 on 3rd down and 1-2 on 4th down the last two games.

Can't win that way. I believe yards on first down is a huge indicator of a team's strength, and we are failing at it. Points to the run.
I agree. Particularly third and longs are really hampering our offense.

Randle and McFadden can both catch well out of the backfield. When Andy Reid was in Philly, he used to throw short passes to his backs as an extension of the running game. I'd like to see more of that as it would play to our strengths. I'd especially like to see it a lot more on first downs.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Absolutely correct. I blame the running game, mainly.

Even with our defenders back I think we're stuck in a weird numbers game where Marinelli's ass-buddy Hayden never leaves the lineup.

You'd like to see Hardy, Crawford, Gregory, and Lawrence on the field at the same time, but that leaves us short a 1-technique.

Funny how the least talented guy gets to stay in.
It's funny how I like Marinelli but I'm irritated by his defense. The guys I've seen really run a defense that could give anybody fits on a given day are coaches like Jim Johnson, Dick Lebeau, and Dom Capers. If Marinelli's base style doesn't work he has no flexibility. He can't dial up a goddamn thing on a critical play or throw a crazy package out there and force people to stop it. He can't rework his system to let the best guys play. He's stuck in this one way he wants to play every down and that's it.

townsend

Banned
It's funny how I like Marinelli but I'm irritated by his defense. The guys I've seen really run a defense that could give anybody fits on a given day are coaches like Jim Johnson, Dick Lebeau, and Dom Capers. If Marinelli's base style doesn't work he has no flexibility. He can't dial up a goddamn thing on a critical play or throw a crazy package out there and force people to stop it. He can't rework his system to let the best guys play. He's stuck in this one way he wants to play every down and that's it.
In Marinelli's defense, his best guys haven't been on the field.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Guys, pass rush aside, we're not getting takeaways
like last year. This is equally disturbing.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's true but I kind of feel like it is coming. I mean how many dropped picks did we have against the Saints. And then a fumble recovery that was reversed that was a split second from being a legit turnover. Turnovers can be fluky but I just feel like we are so close to them but just slightly missing out. I have to think some of those balls will start to bounce in our direction.

Jiggyfly

Banned
That's true but I kind of feel like it is coming. I mean how many dropped picks did we have against the Saints. And then a fumble recovery that was reversed that was a split second from being a legit turnover. Turnovers can be fluky but I just feel like we are so close to them but just slightly missing out. I have to think some of those balls will start to bounce in our direction.
We missed a couple against Atlanta as well.

dallen

Senior Tech
Fumbles are fluky. Interceptions can be a little more consistent, and Marinelli has had his guys in position to get multiple interceptions. They just can't catch worth a flip

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Rushing, passing, blocking, defense.

They all feed each other, and 2014's team had a great but delicate balance of all.

The defense is built to play in short bursts and with the lead.

Put them on the field too much and the product gets diluted.

Set them against a balanced offense and chances for turnovers drop further as it's harder to get a jump on each play.

By not possessing the ball and not scoring enough, the offense makes the defenses job harder. When the defense has to work harder, it can't get the turnovers the offense needs to score more points and possess the ball. Etc., etc.

Our best hope is for an early turnover, like the one Patmon dropped.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Rushing, passing, blocking, defense.

They all feed each other, and 2014's team had a great but delicate balance of all.

The defense is built to play in short bursts and with the lead.

Put them on the field too much and the product gets diluted.

Set them against a balanced offense and chances for turnovers drop further as it's harder to get a jump on each play.

By not possessing the ball and not scoring enough, the offense makes the defenses job harder. When the defense has to work harder, it can't get the turnovers the offense needs to score more points and possess the ball. Etc., etc.

Our best hope is for an early turnover, like the one Patmon dropped.
How is the defense going to play in short bursts if they can't get the opponent shut down. They give up more third and long situations than almost everyone. They hold the team's to third and long then go soft on coverage giving up the yardage. Watch the corners on third and long. The align at least 10 yards of the receiver and when the snap comes they immediately back pedal. They then have to close about an 8 yard gap when the receiver catches the ball. Then bingo the yardage is made for the first down before they get to the receiver. It is a reoccurring situation.

townsend

Banned
How is the defense going to play in short bursts if they can't get the opponent shut down. They give up more third and long situations than almost everyone. They hold the team's to third and long then go soft on coverage giving up the yardage. Watch the corners on third and long. The align at least 10 yards of the receiver and when the snap comes they immediately back pedal. They then have to close about an 8 yard gap when the receiver catches the ball. Then bingo the yardage is made for the first down before they get to the receiver. It is a reoccurring situation.
You'll notice that the defense usually looks pretty stout in The first half of games. As they lose steam they allow more and more conversions.

Eventually it spirals out of control as the defense gets gassed on a long drive and then we run off 11 seconds with a pair of bad runs and a pass for less than first down yardage, putting the D right back out there.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
You'll notice that the defense usually looks pretty stout in The first half of games. As they lose steam they allow more and more conversions.

Eventually it spirals out of control as the defense gets gassed on a long drive and then we run off 11 seconds with a pair of bad runs and a pass for less than first down yardage, putting the D right back out there.
The corners always play soft on third and long throughout the game. It's one of my biggest complaints about Maranellis defensive schemes.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
How is the defense going to play in short bursts if they can't get the opponent shut down.
They usually shut them down early, but they need time to recharge to do it again.

They also need the Dallas offense to score points so they can play more pass defense as teams try to catch up.

Then the sacks and interceptions start.

If the opposing offense has the lead, our defense is at a huge disadvantage vs. the run.

Sean Lee looks like a little kid and gets beat up every game. Randy Gregory's ankle just buckled underneath him. Barry Church gets injured every year.

Few of our defenders are stout and even fewer physically tough.

Besides Greg Hardy, that is.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
They usually shut them down early, but they need time to recharge to do it again.

They also need the Dallas offense to score points so they can play more pass defense as teams try to catch up.

Then the sacks and interceptions start.

If the opposing offense has the lead, our defense is at a huge disadvantage vs. the run.

Sean Lee looks like a little kid and gets beat up every game. Randy Gregory's ankle just buckled underneath him. Barry Church gets injured every year.

Few of our defenders are stout and even fewer physically tough.

Besides Greg Hardy, that is.
That isn't what is happening now. The defense is giving up too many third and long situations. If you have the last game see for yourself. The hold up well enough to make it a third and long then go soft. That's a large part of the problem now and has been responsible for the last two losses. They just aren't getting the opponent off the field with this game plan.

Daillest88

Brand New Member
it seems when we actually blitz , it works. I understand what coach Rod is trying to do by leaving more defenders out there , having hard and mcclain back will do wonders for us.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
it seems when we actually blitz , it works. I understand what coach Rod is trying to do by leaving more defenders out there , having hard and mcclain back will do wonders for us.
The db's have filled in ok for Scandrick, but we're missing his blitzes.

Top Bottom