Week 4 Gameday Chatter Thread | Cowboys at Saints |10/04/2015

kidd

DCC 4Life
Just shows that we are ineffective as a running team.

We can cut the NO run out if you want, but they had an attitude with a run game and physically wore us down. It was an attitude they established, which is something we used to do.

LT mentioned how the defense let us down and that Weeden had better stats than Brees, based on his QBR being .02 higher than Brees. Nevermind the 341 yards and 2 TDs...Weeden and his 246 and 1 TD. The stats don't tell the story, watching them on the field it was very clearly than Brees was superior in every way.
A gimpy Brees at that.

I recall seeing him on the sidelines throwing and thinking that he looked more like he was pushing the ball instead of throwing it.

That's why I'm put off with the defense as much if not more than Weeden.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
It's far simpler then that. Randle averages 3.9 ypc which is unacceptable. But the runs stopped in the backfield aren't really all his fault either. There are a ton of runs where the blocking just isn't good and we have defenders in the backfield. To me at least it's pretty obvious that if Murray had the runs that Randle has this year that he wouldn't be nearly as productive as he was last season. It's plain as day to see our run blocking up front just isn't as good. It's also pretty obvious that teams have no respect for our passing game.
Yes this is essentially the problem and the only thing for debate is are the coaches prohibiting the long balls or is it that Weedin isn't capable? Personally I think the coaching staff has arbitrarily put a bridle on Weedin because they are being too cautious.

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wish you didn't feel you had to latch onto the guy. Let it go.
I'm not latching on to it, just don't know why people feel the need to manipulate his numbers to make him sound worse then he is. I hope the rest of our offense gets on track soon though because that's the real problem. The blocking and our passing game are the real problems. RB is way down the list on what I'm worried about right now.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wouldn't say that's the definition. Adrian Peterson is a home run threat. He's capable of breaking an 80 yarder at any time, while also hammering away at a defense picking up decent yardage. If he doesn't break a long one, he still has a good day the vast majority of the time. So far this year if Randle doesn't break a big one, you end up with the 11 carries, 20 yard kind of days.
People said the same thing about Barry Sanders for years. That he losses yards on most carries and then breaks the long run. He is the definition of a home run threat.

Randle is taking what is there on most carries. He doesn't run like Barry Sanders. The problem is there just isn't much room out there right now. The blocking needs to get better and we need to get the defense on their heals. The only RB in the NFL that I know of that can thrive when the defense basically has no worries about a passing game is Adrian Peterson. Even still his teams have never been great because of it.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I'm not latching on to it, just don't know why people feel the need to manipulate his numbers to make him sound worse then he is. I hope the rest of our offense gets on track soon though because that's the real problem. The blocking and our passing game are the real problems. RB is way down the list on what I'm worried about right now.
Agree again. There is no fear from an opponent that the Dallas offense is going to challenge them with a long ball so they load up and snuff the run.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Personally I think the coaching staff has arbitrarily put a bridle on Weedin because they are being too cautious.
You have a point, but there have been several plays where Weeden doesn't see a clear throw downfield and checks down.

I think they have to take that bridle off, spread the field, and hit simple designed plays in the intermediate-deep zones while also taking some long shots.

If that doesn't open up the running game, I don't know what will short of Romo and Dez' return.

Or Michael panning out.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You have a point, but there have been several plays where Weeden doesn't see a clear throw downfield and checks down.

I think they have to take that bridle off, spread the field, and hit simple designed plays in the intermediate-deep zones while also taking some long shots.

If that doesn't open up the running game, I don't know what will short of Romo and Dez' return.

Or Michael panning out.
Even with Murray we ran best out of 3 WR sets. I see basically no reason to use a FB in our offense. The guy sucks and is in the way most of the time he is on the field. Our offensive line is great at pulling and trapping but teams are getting way too much penetration right now for that to work. To me the easiest solution to our problems is to spread teams out. Make it simple. If they single cover guys like Beasley then throw Beasley the ball. He is too quick for anyone to handle. Once you do that you'll see the running lanes start to open up because we aren't trying to block 8 or 9 guys bunched up near the line of scrimmage. When you run the 3 TE bull shit all you do is bring extra defenders up near the box to stop the run.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Where did you get that from? The point is his outliers aren't frequent enough to accurately reflect his performances, and the large bulk of his carries are below par.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Where did you get that from? The point is his outliers aren't frequent enough to accurately reflect his performances, and the large bulk of his carries are below par.
That we ran best out of the 3 WR formation last year? I remember an article that broke down our productivity running the ball by formation. I'm not sure I'd be able to find it again as it was from last year.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Wasn't that way last year with a functioning OL and a constant threat of the passing game.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I agree. Part of me thinks that this points to just how good Murray was, but then I see how poor he looks this year and I start to think our run game would be just as ineffective with him at a much higher price.
I think it points to how good Callahan was too.

Genghis Khan

Nobody is manipulating numbers. It's the reality. Hell, he's averaging 3.9 yards per carry, I could just leave it at that and that alone is an indicator. But I don't think it's enough to really get to the core truth of his performance. I would guess most running backs don't have 2 yards or less for as large a majority of their runs as Randle does. That's a problem.

As for our biggest problems, of course losing our pro bowl QB is by far our biggest. Losing Dez is obviously second.

But the cavernous drop off from what Murray gave us last year to what Randle and McFadden are giving us this season is a much bigger problem than you think it is.

As for the blocking, it could be better, but it's good enough to get much more than Randle has been getting.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
It's far simpler then that. Randle averages 3.9 ypc which is unacceptable. But the runs stopped in the backfield aren't really all his fault either. There are a ton of runs where the blocking just isn't good and we have defenders in the backfield. To me at least it's pretty obvious that if Murray had the runs that Randle has this year that he wouldn't be nearly as productive as he was last season. It's plain as day to see our run blocking up front just isn't as good. It's also pretty obvious that teams have no respect for our passing game.
I think the attitude of this line has changed, maybe it's Callahan's absence or maybe not, but I think this finesse approach has eroded the sense of identity we had last year.

Genghis Khan

That we ran best out of the 3 WR formation last year? I remember an article that broke down our productivity running the ball by formation. I'm not sure I'd be able to find it again as it was from last year.
Sorry. I meant to quote where you said I'm suggesting Randle has more home runs than most other running backs. It's the opposite actually. I'm saying he has more below par runs than most other starting caliber running backs.

D

Deuce

I think it points to how good Callahan was too.
Washington's ability to run the ball shows his value as well. I don't care that they overdrafted a shitty OT and made him a OG, they had no real improvements to their line and now they look like we did last year at times.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
We don't have a functioning offensive linethis year ? :lol Wow.

You want to know the difference? We had Murray.
Everyone knows I was and am a Murray guy but I seem to recall a great deal of the folks on the board were of the impression that the OL was his claim to fame and made him what he was.

Top Bottom