Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cotton

Staff member
Report: Browns showing interest in Josh McCown

Posted by Josh Alper on February 18, 2015, 6:51 AM EST

The Browns have vowed to look high, low and everywhere in between for quarterback options this offseason and Josh McCown is looking for a job after being released by the Buccaneers.

To little surprise, it looks like those two paths will cross. Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that the Browns have expressed interest in McCown’s services. They have not yet set up a visit with the veteran quarterback, but could do so soon.

McCown worked with new Browns offensive coordinator John DeFilippo in 2007 when DeFilippo was the Raiders’ quarterbacks coach. McCown started seven games for Oakland that year, throwing nine touchdowns and 10 interceptions, and Cabot reports that the two men enjoyed working together that season.

McCown has visited the Bills and is expected to meet with at least one team in Indianapolis during the combine before making other visits as he weighs his options around the league. As the only quarterback currently on the open market who could be a starter in 2015, McCown should have several such options available to him.

Cotton

Staff member

dallen

Senior Tech
That should help set the market for Dez

Cotton

Staff member

Carp

DCC 4Life
I'm not sure how much it will help set the market though...Fitzgerald is 5 years older and looking in decline, while Dez is coming into his own.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Larry Fitzgerald guaranteed $11 million per year over next two years

Posted by Josh Alper on February 18, 2015, 11:04 AM EST

As PFT reported earlier, the Cardinals have gained nearly $13 million in cap space thanks to a new deal with wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald, guaranteeing that one of the franchise’s icons will remain in the fold after months of uncertainty because of Fitzgerald’s salary and cap hit for the 2015 season.

PFT has learned a bit more about the deal via a league source. Fitzgerald’s old deal ran through the 2018 season and was set to pay him a non-guaranteed $16.5 million in 2015 while counting $23.6 million against the cap. He was also set to make a non-guaranteed $15 million salary

That deal has been replaced by one that guarantees Fitzgerald $11 million per year over the next two seasons.

Fitzgerald will be 34 when those guarantees are played out, which will leave him close to the end of a long and accomplished career in the desert. Whether it continues beyond that point will be a question for another offseason, but the Cardinals have put an exclamation point on one of this year’s biggest contractual question marks.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not sure how much it will help set the market though...Fitzgerald is 5 years older and looking in decline, while Dez is coming into his own.
Yeah at most you probably have to take that deal and multiply it for the number of years Dez will get and then add in for the cap increasing annually. Even then Dez would probably be worth more.

Cotton

Staff member
Because now that we know Fitz is getting 11 mill per, Dez will want more than that for the reasons you stated.

data

Forbes #1
Props to Fitz for being loyal. I would've left AZ post-Warner to a contender.

Cotton

Staff member

More Ogaltree, please.

Cotton

Staff member
Report: Falcons could be suitors for Justin Forsett

Posted by Mike Wilkening on February 20, 2015, 2:18 PM EST

Should Ravens tailback Justin Forsett hit free agency, at least one NFC team could be a suitor.

The Falcons are said to have “strong interest” in Forsett if available, Vaughn McClure of ESPN.com reported Friday.

The 5-foot-8, 197-pound Forsett had a breakout 2014 season, rushing for 1,266 yards and eight touchdowns on 235 carries and catching 44 passes for 263 yards. He ranks 49th in PFT’s Free Agent Hot 100.

The Falcons’ starting back, Steven Jackson, is entering the final year of his contract. He is due $3.75 million next season, per Rotoworld.

Though Forsett will turn 30 in October, he has just 582 career regular season carries to his credit, and his relative lack of wear-and-tear won’t hurt his market value.

Cotton

Staff member

Carp

DCC 4Life
DeAngelo Williams: Panthers said they’re releasing me

Posted by Josh Alper on February 23, 2015, 3:18 PM EST

At the scouting combine last week, Panthers General Manager Dave Gettleman left the strong impression that running back DeAngelo Williams had played his last snap as a member of the team.

On Monday, Williams confirmed that Gettleman’s message was received correctly. Williams told WBTV that Gettleman told him last week that the Panthers will be releasing him as they move toward the start of the new league year.

“We sat down and he told me ‘The fact of the matter is we’re going to have to release you‘,” Williams said. “I said you know, ‘Why?’ and he said, ‘because we don’t run the ball enough. Just like you said back before the season started, we don’t run the ball enough to keep you and both [Jonathan Stewart], so we’re going to release you’.”

Williams played in just six games during the regular season because of injuries, although he was able to return for the team’s playoff outings. He said he’s not “bitter” about the move, citing Steve Smith’s departure from Carolina last year as a sign that such decisions are part of life in the football business. Williams had 1,432 carries for 6,846 rushing yards and 46 touchdowns since joining the Panthers as a first-round pick in 2006.

Designating Williams as a post-June 1 cut will save the Panthers about $2 million on this year’s cap. They have Jonathan Stewart and Mike Tolbert under contract for next season.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Colts cut Ricky Jean Francois

Posted by Michael David Smith on February 23, 2015, 3:18 PM EST

Ricky Jean Francois, a starter on the Colts’ defensive line the last two years, is on the way out of Indianapolis.

The Colts have announced that Jean Francois was released.

Jean Francois played in all 16 games and started 13 for the Colts last season. He also started all 10 games he was healthy enough to play for the Colts in 2013, the year the Colts signed him as an unrestricted free agent.

The 28-year-old Jean Francois was a seventh-round draft pick of the 49ers in 2009 and played his first four years in the league in San Francisco. He becomes a free agent immediately and will not need to wait until the start of unrestricted free agent on March 10 to sign with another team.

Cotton

Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Giants released/failed physical DE Mathias Kiwanuka.

It was a matter of when, not if, Kiwanuka would be released. The move creates $4.825 million in cap space. Kiwanuka has spent his entire nine-year career in New York, but has struggled for several years running. He generated just 2.5 sacks in 558 snaps last season. 12 days shy of his 32nd birthday, Kiwanuka is also recovering from knee surgery. He won't be offered guaranteed money in free agency until he can prove he's healthy, and even then it might not happen.

Source: Kimberly Jones on Twitter

Carp

DCC 4Life

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Packers cut A.J. Hawk

Posted by Michael David Smith on February 25, 2015, 4:36 PM EST

A.J. Hawk has been let go by the Packers.

The team announced today that Hawk, who has spent his entire career in Green Bay, will not return. Hawk released a statement thanking the team for his time in Green Bay.

“I spent nine great years in Green Bay. I had awesome teammates and coaches and a great medical staff and equipment staff. Many of them have become my closest friends. We won a ton of games, as well as a Super Bowl, and I loved everything about playing for one of the greatest franchises in all of sports,” Hawk said. “The fans in Green Bay are incredible. Between playing at Lambeau Field as well as seeing them on the road, they always supported us. I am looking forward to my next opportunity in the NFL, but I’ll always cherish my years as a Green Bay Packer.”

Packers General Manager Ted Thompson likewise thanked Hawk for his service to the team.

“A.J. is a consummate Packer and we are grateful for all that he has given and how he represented the organization over the past nine seasons,” Thompson said. “He was a durable and consistent contributor to our success, but more importantly, he is a great person and teammate. The Packers are grateful for all that he has done on the field and in the community. We wish A.J., his wife Laura, and the rest of their family all the best.”

Hawk, who is recovering from surgery to remove bone spurs in his ankle, now becomes a free agent.

Carp

DCC 4Life

Top Bottom