GEORGE: When will Murray’s 100-yard streak end?; Has anyone missed Claiborne?

data

Forbes #1
Regarding Claiborne, I'd welcome news that his rehab went horribly wrong and he's out for 2015 as well.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Schmitty has mentioned multiple times how horrendous he has played.
I mentioned how horrible he has been in the past and how bad he was in the offseason, which more than just me pointed out.

I did not mentioned anything about his play against the Giants one way or the other, but nice spin.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Per schmitty's take, if he thinks Parnell is horrific, then Garrett should be running the ball less these next 3 weeks since Garrett, you know, adjusts his playcalling to personnel.
You try way too hard to come up with moronic rebuttals to my positions.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
All in all, Murray's streak is remarkable.

What's funny is that unless you want to chalk it up to Mackenzy Bernadeau, all that kept this from happening late last year and forging a playoff run was Garrett's lack of trust.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
All in all, Murray's streak is remarkable.

What's funny is that unless you want to chalk it up to Mackenzy Bernadeau, all that kept this from happening late last year and forging a playoff run was Garrett's lack of trust.
I think its obvious that the line is both run blocking and pass blocking on a different level right now. It wasn't bad last year, but not like this.

Saying "its just Mackenzie Bernadeau" doesn't take into account how good Martin has been, and how improved Frederick and Leary have been as they entered their second years as starters. They both made significant jumps. Really, all three interior OL spots are markedly improved.

That being said, you are correct that the lack of trust in the running game kept last year from being much more reasonable.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
That being said, you are correct that the lack of trust in the running game kept last year from being much more reasonable.
The lack of trust was far more of an albatross than the development from Frederick and Leary.

Garrett trusts this run game instead of Kyle Orton, we probably make the playoffs last year and you know it.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Remember that this record is just to start the season. Barry Sanders holds the record for most consecutive at 14 games.
Eh, don't care. Not going to assume he can sustain this. But to start a season and pass an all timer like Jim Brown? Yeah, that's pretty cool.

data

Forbes #1
I watched this video this morning getting ready for work...

Smitty

DCC 4Life
The lack of trust was far more of an albatross than the development from Frederick and Leary.

Garrett trusts this run game instead of Kyle Orton, we probably make the playoffs last year and you know it.
Yeah, absolutely, particularly in the Packers and Bears games. Never denied that.

What I said was it took Garrett a while to catch up on that trust after seasons and seasons of inferior OL play (considering the run blocking was up and down the first 7 weeks or so -- even Bob Sturm has said the material change in the offense occured after the bye week last year).

I don't pretend he'd be running the ball right now like Linehan is currently, but to think he wouldn't go back to 2007-08 levels is just foolish. It's also foolish to assume Garrett has absolutely no say at all in what we are doing right now and that Linehan is forcing him into this.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Yeah, absolutely, particularly in the Packers and Bears games. Never denied that.

What I said was it took Garrett a while to catch up on that trust after seasons and seasons of inferior OL play (considering the run blocking was up and down the first 7 weeks or so -- even Bob Sturm has said the material change in the offense occured after the bye week last year).

I don't pretend he'd be running the ball right now like Linehan is currently, but to think he wouldn't go back to 2007-08 levels is just foolish. It's also foolish to assume Garrett has absolutely no say at all in what we are doing right now and that Linehan is forcing him into this.
You keep saying Garrett had to learn to trust the oline again like he was a spurned wife learning to trust her cheating husband again like it's a valid excuse. He is a head coach in the NFL and should be able to properly evaluate the talent his team has and use them accordingly.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
You keep saying Garrett had to learn to trust the oline again like he was a spurned wife learning to trust her cheating husband again like it's a valid excuse. He is a head coach in the NFL and should be able to properly evaluate the talent his team has and use them accordingly.
I don't entirely agree. It's not a valid excuse in-game when you are up 20+ against the Packers. In that situation, yeah, you need to have the flexibility to look at your YPC and adjust a bit. Even if not, you have to realize that running three times and punting is a win there. He's failed in that regard a good number of times, like against the Lions a couple years back as well.

But after 3.5 years of piss poor and/or inconsistent run blocking, no, I don't really fault him for entering the second half of 2013 not planning on featuring the running game. For too long the team had simply been not able to do it at an NFL competent level. After averaging less than 4 yards per carry in 5 of the first 7 games in 2013, I don't agree that the plan should have been to lean on the run like we are now. If anything, I think you can argue the passing game wasn't imaginative enough.

Then down the stretch, the Packers, Bears, and other games, the running game really began to click. I'm not indicting the coach for sticking to his philosophy -- which was appropriate given his personnel limitations for the last 3 years -- beyond saying that he came to the realization too slow.

People act like he's the only coach in NFL history to take more than a couple games to adjust to his personnel. He's not. It's what makes him an average coach. Not great -- but not the worst either.

data

Forbes #1
But after 3.5 years of piss poor and/or inconsistent run blocking, no, I don't really fault him for entering the second half of 2013 not planning on featuring the running game. For too long the team had simply been not able to do it at an NFL competent level.
With the level of running game incompetence you describe, then Garrett was an idiot for even rushing the ball once.

If we passed 100%, we probably would've made the playoffs.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
With the level of running game incompetence you describe, then Garrett was an idiot for even rushing the ball once.

If we passed 100%, we probably would've made the playoffs.
Another stellar trolling attempt.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Even at a 4 YPC level they weren't below a "NFL competent level". Murray did much better than that, but even with your 4 YPC level, it was enough to maintain the effort.

data

Forbes #1
Do you think Garrett had the right balance of shitty rushing attempts to keep the defense honest for the passing game?

Or would you have preferred more/less rush attempts of <4.0 yards/carry?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Do you think Garrett had the right balance of shitty rushing attempts to keep the defense honest for the passing game?

Or would you have preferred more/less rush attempts of <4.0 yards/carry?
Of course he didn't have the right balance. That doesn't make anything I'm saying untrue.

Top Bottom