Stephen Jones: 0-5 without Romo is unacceptable

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
He still played a lot better than Weeden.
No doubt about it. They know they fucked up trying to get cute with Weeden and Ryan Williams. That's not on Garrett, though JG should have been going crazy trying to churn Weeden.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
No doubt about it. They know they fucked up trying to get cute with Weeden and Ryan Williams. That's not on Garrett, though JG should have been going crazy trying to churn Weeden.
He didn't want to churn Brad Johnson either. For an EX-QB JG is piss poor at evaluating them.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
He didn't want to churn Brad Johnson either. For an EX-QB JG is piss poor at evaluating them.
Hard to figure out the value-add with Garrett.

Probably won't know what kind of coach he can be until he coaches somewhere the owner doesn't have his own radio show, but right now I don't know what Garrett brings.

Not toughness, preparedness, or offensive teaching. Maybe some kind of accountability to each other? I don't know.

In 2007 it was clear he brought an aggressiveness to the play-calling we hadn't seen before. Unfortunately he kept that same aggressiveness as the OL, Defense, and WR talent declined.

Help me out here.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
For Jerry, he brings a well-spoken, media-friendly yes-man. He's in the family portrait and "comfortable with ambiguity."

As an actual coach, he brings virtually nothing.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Hard to figure out the value-add with Garrett.

Probably won't know what kind of coach he can be until he coaches somewhere the owner doesn't have his own radio show, but right now I don't know what Garrett brings.

Not toughness, preparedness, or offensive teaching. Maybe some kind of accountability to each other? I don't know.

In 2007 it was clear he brought an aggressiveness to the play-calling we hadn't seen before. Unfortunately he kept that same aggressiveness as the OL, Defense, and WR talent declined.

Help me out here.
He's clearly not an offensive mind. He's still running an offense that was Vanilla and relied on overwhelming talent to succeed 20 years ago. He certainly isn't the kind of leader that can get the team to rise to the occasion in a must-win game, Coughlin-style. I wouldn't go out of my way to give him credit for 2007. Sparano was a big part of that offense as co-OC.

I think he just brings a complete lack of personality so he doesn't step on Jerry's toes.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I think Garrett knows how a team should be run and should be built, he just doesn't exactly know how to do it on gameday. He wants a tough, run-first team, but he doesn't know how to adjust or play off of that, i.e., the fact that we ran like 80% of the time on 1st down for weeks before we started going play action off of it, trying to catch teams selling out against the run.

I think he helps to bring a sober voice to the front office during the draft, when constructing a team and so forth, so that helps when Stephen or whoever is trying to keep Jerry from going off the deep end, but on gameday I think he freezes up, tries to force square pegs into round holes and lacks even an ounce of creativity.

I think he has the book smarts but no actual operational ability as a coach, basically. He would probably be better off working in a front office where he has the time to make logical, thought out decisions rather than having to make snap decisions on game days.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
For Jerry, he brings a well-spoken, media-friendly yes-man. He's in the family portrait and "comfortable with ambiguity."

He claps... a lot. You ever think about that, you ungrateful bastard?!

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I think Garrett knows how a team should be run and should be built, he just doesn't exactly know how to do it on gameday. He wants a tough, run-first team, but he doesn't know how to adjust or play off of that, i.e., the fact that we ran like 80% of the time on 1st down for weeks before we started going play action off of it, trying to catch teams selling out against the run.

I think he helps to bring a sober voice to the front office during the draft, when constructing a team and so forth, so that helps when Stephen or whoever is trying to keep Jerry from going off the deep end, but on gameday I think he freezes up, tries to force square pegs into round holes and lacks even an ounce of creativity.

I think he has the book smarts but no actual operational ability as a coach, basically. He would probably be better off working in a front office where he has the time to make logical, thought out decisions rather than having to make snap decisions on game days.
Translation. Those who can, do. Those who cannot, teach. Garrett is an academic not a coach.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
He claps... a lot. You ever think about that, you ungrateful bastard?!
I noticed he didn't clap as much last night though... He must have heard the jokes about it all week. :lol

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Wait. Garrett isn't doing, he's teaching.
I think I see what LT is saying here. There's a difference between leading troops in the field and teaching a class on military theory. Garrett doesn't have the 'it' factor to be a gameday coach, he lacks the instincts and feel for the game that lead to effective play calling, clock management, halftime adjustments etc. You can see it in his week to week knee jerk reactions and the way he will stick to something that's not working after abandoning something that was working. Also like someone teaching a class on what people already know, he's not creative or innovative. He's stuck on trying to drill people into executing a predictable offense well enough to make it work even when the opponent has it scouted to death.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
He's clearly not an offensive mind. He's still running an offense that was Vanilla and relied on overwhelming talent to succeed 20 years ago. He certainly isn't the kind of leader that can get the team to rise to the occasion in a must-win game, Coughlin-style. I wouldn't go out of my way to give him credit for 2007. Sparano was a big part of that offense as co-OC.

I think he just brings a complete lack of personality so he doesn't step on Jerry's toes.

Fuck. So he is what we thought he was, and there's no letting him off the hook as long as he's Jerry's boy.

Fuck.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Fuck. So he is what we thought he was, and there's no letting him off the hook as long as he's Jerry's boy.

Fuck.
I think he doesn't survive a bad 2016. Another 8-8 return to form year, especially if more Romo injuries convince Jerry and Stephen that the Romo window has closed anyway, I think they'll move on. He's had two coordinators on both sides of the ball (Callahan, Linehan & Rob Ryan, Rod Marinelli) and head coaches rarely get to fire a second set of coordinators. Campo was only allowed to Switch OCs once.

Top Bottom